• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Heritage Auctions Holds 1st Major Auction for Anime Art on June 25-27

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:42 pm Reply with quote
There's a lot of line fading on the Toei Animation cels While that's a common trait due to Toei using cheap ink that turns brown as it ages, the fact that some of cels shown don't have lines anymore tells me that these cels were not properly cared for.

And I say this as someone who owns 100+ Toei Animation cels since 2005 and has taken good care of them.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:55 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
There's a lot of line fading on the Toei Animation cels While that's a common trait due to Toei using cheap ink that turns brown as it ages, the fact that some of cels shown don't have lines anymore tells me that these cels were not properly cared for.

And I say this as someone who owns 100+ Toei Animation cels since 2005 and has taken good care of them.

I wonder if that has anything to do with them being publicly displayed under probably some intense lighting?

Also the one they list as Transformers is actually from The Brave Police J-Decker. Specifically it's the Build Team consisting of Dumpson, Power Joe, and McCrain who combine to form Build Tiger (because construction vehicles have stripes, get it?). They also combine with Drill Boy (who has a soccer ball in his chest because Japan) to form Super Build Tiger. Oh, and they're detectives...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chao8971

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Anyone ever get anything off of here? I've gotten stuff off of the mandarake auctions which had some huge sellers like this one but also you could easily grab some cool smaller stuff. Is there any chance for me grabbing cool cheaper stuff or is everything here gonna shoot up to like $500 plus?
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:48 am Reply with quote
chao8971 wrote:
Anyone ever get anything off of here? I've gotten stuff off of the mandarake auctions which had some huge sellers like this one but also you could easily grab some cool smaller stuff. Is there any chance for me grabbing cool cheaper stuff or is everything here gonna shoot up to like $500 plus?

I haven't, but I would expect it to be pretty pricey just because it's Heritage. I would be astonished if those cels from the cut of Kaneda's bike with the background didn't get really up there. It wouldn't hurt to check it out, anyway.
Ringar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote
chao8971 wrote:

I bought a Scooby Doo cel off them a few weeks back and have just got tracking info for it (spent around 260 for it after shipping). I also know of others who buy from there with no issue. Just be aware that there is a decent delay between winning an auction and having the item shipped. And, as you guessed, the prices do shoot up pretty fast for some items.

There is also the live bidding portion of the auction to consider. You'll have a certain time frame to place your bid online. After that, online biding closes and live bidding takes place.

I will say, the bidding options they have are really nice and give much more flexibility for bidding then most other auction sites.
chao8971

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:58 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll probably keep a eye on the live bidding and see what I can grab there. The Mandarake Big Web auctions have live bidding too so I'm used to it and I can actual do it at not a weird time since the auction is done in the US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1