• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Announces Switch's New OLED Model for October 8 Release

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:21 am Reply with quote
Hilariously worthless to anyone who already owns a Switch
Double Ultra worthless to anyone who keeps it docked and doesnt play portable

RIP dreams of a "Pro" model that would run a lot of new games at higher than 20 FPS. I look forward to the next pokemon continuing to be 5 fps in the big online area. At least there's emulation if your computer is good enough?
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:30 am Reply with quote
So happy there's no reason for me to buy this.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:52 am Reply with quote
This feels like the most expected revision that's on par with what Nintendo did with the DS and 3DS line up. And considering this could attract peeps who has not own a Switch yet without disturbing their present line of Switches that are STILL selling, I had a nagging feeling there won't be a 4K output version just yet. And besides, the chips shortages are still happening now.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:22 am Reply with quote
I'm good, I got the Lite and regular models. Don't need a bigger screen.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote
The white design looks pretty nice - but as someone who spends 90%+ of their time docked using the Pro Controller this new revision / update clearly isn't for me.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:42 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
So happy there's no reason for me to buy this.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:45 am Reply with quote
Was there ever any proof the Switch Pro actually existed or was it just something the Internet made up based on rumors and questionable "leaks"?
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:55 am Reply with quote
This revision has more in common with the XL versions of the DS and 3DS as opposed to the Game Boy Color and New 3DS type upgrade that people were expecting. Still, I can see this revision selling well in the Christmas season, competing with the PS5 and Xbox Series, especially with titles like Metroid Dread and the Pokémon Gen V remakes.
I just hope that Nintendo is trying to solve the Joy-Con drift problems, they probably haven't done anything yet, though it seems that it's a problem that affects all joysticks.
I can see a new Nintendo console coming in the next two or three years, it seems like the Switch is going to last longer than expected.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Was there ever any proof the Switch Pro actually existed or was it just something the Internet made up based on rumors and questionable "leaks"?

With this latest release, we're more likely to hear about the next gen console from Nintendo than a Switch Pro.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but perhaps companies like Nintendo leak false information to expose leakers. On the other hand, leakers could just exagerate things to grab attention, but when things don't turn out the way they said it people on social media would attack them so I don't understand why they would tell false information. Like a couple of years ago when there was a rumored Star Fox racing game, that even major gaming websites were saying it would be revealed at E3, but it was a fake leak.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:32 pm Reply with quote
At this point the Switch has been around long enough Nintendo could probably release an entirely new console instead of just an upgrade with better screen resolution they would probably put exclusive titles on just to make you double dip for it anyway. Which as someone who doesn't have a 4K TV and is not in a hurry for one I don't understand the appeal of a Switch Pro.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:47 pm Reply with quote
It definitely sounds like what I would go with if I didn't already have a Switch, but since I have one, I can at least say that the improvements wouldn't be used enough for me to look to trade in for one. My setup is too far from the router to use the LAN port without running a long cord. The bigger display is nice, but I mostly use it docked, and it is still at 720p handheld mode. My internal memory isn't close to full as is, and the SD cards mitigate that anyway.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Well, the most hype of "Switch Pro leaks" basically come to one source - former WSJ and currently working for Bloomberg "insider" Takashi Mochizuki, who can be easily described as "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" with how much repetitive he is about any news related to the mythical "Switch remodels" - basically, he does that not less than every month for years, with same goes for his "leaks" of Switch Lite to the actual thing.

And because people still have trust in major press (like Bloomberg) sources credibility, they got hype for that despite the fact that at this point the actual proof of these leaks is nothing but thin air.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Its been something "influencers" have been saying existed since not even the first full year into the switch's life. So yeah, there's been no real evidence outside of games of telephone basically.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, without a newer model with better performance it's going to be hilarious to see how that Arceus game runs. The Switch is already struggling with games like Age of Calamity, and it's only going to get worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3