• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Anime Dubs You Can Watch RIGHT NOW (Part 4)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJGoodNews

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote
English haikus don't really need to be 5-7-5. 17 english syllables will typically convey way more information than 17 japanese mora anyway.

http://www.nahaiwrimo.com/home/why-no-5-7-5
http://www.graceguts.com/further-reading/forms-in-english-haiku
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:39 pm Reply with quote
you forgot Fena: Pirate Princess
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Probably the first of these videos where I haven't checked out more than at least one of the entries haha

Even if I thought the season itself was a downgrade overall compared to S1, I completely agree about Beastars S2's script improvement! Madeline Morris deserves major props for really elevating that dub imo. Also I was surprised to hear Patrick Seitz playing a high schooler (which hasn't been a recurring character type for him in at least a few years), but since he's playing a giant bear - it works and is actually somewhat believable!

And even though I'm not watching the show, Getter Robo seems like a nice, underrated pick based on the video alone at least. I didn't check out Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop's dub based on the film's concept alone, so its nice to see actual effort was put in writing-wise when normally Netflix dubs have always been lacking in that department.

As far as dubs I have been checking out/would have liked to see included: Moriarty the Patriot had a really fun dub with TX, LA, NY, and UK VAs alike and the accent work feels much more diverse and refined than you'd find in say, Black Butler. The Case Study of Vanitas is about halfway through the season, and I've been a big fan of the leads' chemistry as well as the mix of period-appropriate dialogue, French addresses & turns of phrase, and some more modern colloquialisms to punch up the humor. It can be a tricky balance if pushed too far in the latter direction (see Yona of the Dawn's dub), but I thought they nailed it. While I haven't seen the dub entirely as I watched the sub airing - SSSS.Dynazenon also kept the same "super unusually naturalistic tone mixed with over the top bombast" as Gridman's fantastic dub. Plus, the show features some stand out performances from actors I don't normally hear in more dramatic roles, with my personal favorite being Kristen McGuire.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching all the dubs listed in this article while none of them are terrible they land in the fairly decent to average department for me. The only real stand out performance from the Tokyo Revengers dub is Zeno Robinson's crazed Shuji Hanma. When I started to think of stand out performances from recent dub productions within the last few weeks Alison Brie's commanding Am from the Twins episode of Visions was the first to come to mind. I wouldn't mind seeing some actual coverage of the Houston dub of Vinland Saga its release felt like a whisper in a empty room very little to no coverage of it online.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1