• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Hero Academia Manga Takes 1-Issue Break

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone noticed in manga there's a trend of spoiler[female heroes and villains are get jobbed and nerfed while the male heroes and villains don't. Mt.Lady, Midnight(RIP), Miruko, Nagant and recently, Stars and Stripes. I wonder why Horikoshi nerfed female heroes and villains while the male ones don't? So he thinks female heroes and villains should not be strong like male heroes and villains? Is MHA becoming another Naruto when it comes to female characters? ]
Touma55

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Did anyone noticed in manga there's a trend of spoiler[female heroes and villains are get jobbed and nerfed while the male heroes and villains don't. Mt.Lady, Midnight(RIP), Miruko, Nagant and recently, Stars and Stripes. I wonder why Horikoshi nerfed female heroes and villains while the male ones don't? So he thinks female heroes and villains should not be strong like male heroes and villains? Is MHA becoming another Naruto when it comes to female characters? ]

That is how most battle shonen go and I can think of a number of reasons why and if I recall Horikoshi is also a pretty big Naruto fan so maybe it is rubbing off on him in more ways than one. spoiler[ Can't say I care too much regarding MHA though since I find the the female characters to be pretty uninteresting compared to the male ones. Honestly I'm not even too big a fan of most of them either, but the female characters in this series are pretty low quality imo which is why I get so confused when they are praised.]
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:02 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

spoiler[I legit have no idea of what you are talking about.

The only reason everybody is alive is because Miko fought 5 high end nomus and stoped Shigaraki's evolution.

Mount Lady stopped Gingantomakia for enough time for Momo's plan to take action and it's the reason he is in prison and not free breaking havok.

Midnight died but she did taking docents of villains with her.

Nagat almost killed Deku and gave him waaaay more troubles than Muscular.

It was Uraraka's speech what gave everybody in the shelter hope and it was a woman who gave All Might his confidence back.

Stars' fight it's still ongoing.

]
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

Yeah, no.
spoiler[Aizawa loses his leg and wearing an eye patch, Hawks loses most of his feathers, Twice and Crust loses their life. The only person I agree with is Lady Nagant (maybe Stars and Stripes). But Mirko fought off five High-End (kill one) on her own (Endeavor needed help to kill one) and was the main reason the Doctor and Shigaraki weren't able to get away. Mt.Lady (only got a scar) was able to hold back Gigantomachia. Without her, Gigantomachia would have got to the city at full power and no one would be able to stop him. Lastly, all of them haven't quit, Mirko is still ready to fight (also, have a cool robot leg and arm), and Mt.Lady was on the team that was going after All For One. If this was Naruto, they would quit and become housewives (man, don't like Boruto)]
Anyway, I hope Horikoshi feels better (he should take a month off). He picks a good cliffhanger
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

Yeah, no.
spoiler[Aizawa loses his leg and wearing an eye patch, Hawks loses most of his feathers, Twice and Crust loses their life. The only person I agree with is Lady Nagant (maybe Stars and Stripes). ]
Anyway, I hope Horikoshi feels better (he should take a month off). He picks a good cliffhanger

I'm glad somebody remembers spoiler[Crust].

But about spoiler[Nagant: How is her situation any different from Gentle?: An anti-villain introduced around the time when Deku receives a power-up, so that he can fight them and master said power-up.] That is the trend that is happening. And, spoiler[unlike Gentle, Nagant has a better connection to the plot and other characters so it's far more likely that she will reappear after she recovers. Which is also a trend with characters: Lemillion, Best Jeanist, etc.].

spoiler[Lastly, Overhaul (a major antagonist) had his arms ripped off and can't use his powers. But sure, that's not a nerf. Rolling Eyes ][/spoiler]
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little amused to see that nobody has mentioned that All-Might got the biggest nerf in the franchise, haha.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:05 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I'm a little amused to see that nobody has mentioned that All-Might got the biggest nerf in the franchise, haha.

Yeah, by passing his powers on to Deku, who will probably become far more powerful given that's kinda how the quirk works and spoiler[his budding ability to use souped-up versions of the other predecessors' powers, something All Might himself never achieved.] Plus, All Might still has a big role in the story long after his powers are gone.

I still need to get caught up on the anime, let alone the manga, but female characters having less of a role spoiler[outside of victimization] is a common trope in practically everything, especially action movies/animations with male protags, so this stuff should come as no surprise. Though MHA is far from the worst example, and none of this is really on-topic anyway.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:17 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

Yeah, by passing his powers on to Deku, who will probably become far more powerful given that's kinda how the quirk works and spoiler[his budding ability to use souped-up versions of the other predecessors' powers, something All Might himself never achieved.] Plus, All Might still has a big role in the story long after his powers are gone.

I still need to get caught up on the anime, let alone the manga, but female characters having less of a role spoiler[outside of victimization] is a common trope in practically everything, especially action movies/animations with male protags, so this stuff should come as no surprise. Though MHA is far from the worst example, and none of this is really on-topic anyway.

We talking about them being nerfed spoiler[the only one who is victimize was probably Lady Nagant (Ragdoll who got depower), the other women are still in the story and will fight in the final battle. I do found it odd, that we saw only the male heroes quitting after the war arc, while the female heroes are still ready to fight. I agree, MHA doesn't handle it's female character that well but it handle them a lot better than most Shonen (World Trigger and Jujutsu Kaisen are the best in Shonen)]
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:54 pm Reply with quote
The worst thing I can say about the female characters in MHA is that the author rarely gives them moments to shine. I wouldn't say any of them have been nerfed or victimized.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1