• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Miss Kuroitsu From the Monster Development Department (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:02 am Reply with quote

Miss Kuroitsu From the Monster Development Department (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, science fiction
Themes: office, superpowers

Plot Summary: Kuroitsu is an assistant researcher in the superhuman research & development department of Agastya, a villainous secret organization that battles with heroes who try to save the world. Kuroitsu lives a busy life in Agastya, caught between the absurd requests of her bosses; making presentations; implementing new features into superhumans; and getting results within the allotted time, budget, and spec requests; all without vacation.

Jan. 8, 2022 (Saturdays; Crunchyroll)
----------------------------------
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

One thing I took away from the episode, is that the wolf boy being forced into a female body, essentially makes him trans, it specifically mentioned that he has a male body. I kind of then don't really know how to feel about that being used for comedy of him forced into the female fanservice role. Is the show going to acknowledge him as a guy going forward, or low key say that his dysphoria is funny and probably should just get used to it?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I like that at least there was acknowledgement of Wolf's situation, that he could be allowed to use the men's or women's washroom, depending on what he might prefer. I was worried there would be a "don't care, you are a girl now", and honestly I probably could really enjoy the character if he is done well.

Also. the redesigns of the cool Thunderbird monster, which ended up looking like a chicken with a gun.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:05 pm Reply with quote
The discussion of how lame it is for your Valentine's Day-themed thing to come after Valentine's Day is double amusing since the show had a one-week delay, and so this Valentine's Day-themed episode comes after Valentine's Day. Did they adjust the writing to call it out or is it just a funny coincidence?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

They added sound effects to the opening, which had me thinking that this would be the last episode, although that does not seem to be the case. Instead end of the episode revealed that as a strange twist the temp workers were suddenly made executives, with a scene that oddly made me think of Excel Saga.

A good deal of the episode was kind of ruined for me by the use of sexual harassment as comedy. Even if she is a woman, and thinks she is with another woman (female body), it didn't feel any less icky. If anything the flirty guy is more palatable. And also misgendering of Wolf, but at least he still keeps trying to stand up for it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Well, that got what I might call a bit nationalistic. The final threat turned out to be a multinational organization that came out of nowhere and tried to do a hostile takeover, which was beaten all of Japan's villains and heroes working together. I don't really know what to make of it, but perhaps it is meant to be such a Japanese thing that it is not quite something I should just judge.

But I thought the show generally worked best when the action was the least important part of the show, thus action playing such a big part in the finale felt a little weird. At the very least it finished off on some jokes, where Kuroitsu's Black Blader dark version of the hero suit could not be removed, so we saw her going through an entire day while being stuck while looking like an evil sentai ranger. But then also finished with her going to the restaurant that the Blader guy works at, which again he is like the least interesting part of this show.

I would put the argument that Wolf was probably more of the main character in the show, which makes it really weird that was much more overshadowed in this last episode. I again have had a lot to say about Wolf Bete, where he is a surprisingly interesting character in regard to gender, but also that the show itself kind of undermines what could be good fait readings, at least at certain times. It kind of makes the show at least to me feel like it was having its cake and eating it to, by having him keep assuring people that he is a dude, and then using him as feminine fanservice along with being harassed by a clingy lesbian.

My rating for the show will be Good (7/10), worth seeing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1