• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kenji Kamiyama's The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim Film Opens in April 2024

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Is it wrong that I'm expecting more from this than the Amazon series?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:34 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
After the new trailer, where it looks less LOTR and more just your typical modern fantasy TV series (heck, I actually thought for a bit that they filmed it at the same set with Wheel of Time to reduce the budget) - nah, it ain't wrong at all.

But considering how Kamiyama fallen with recent works - I still be cautiously pessimistic.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:00 am Reply with quote
...This is going to be CG, isn't it?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:20 am Reply with quote
More Tolkien is fine by me. If Amazon's Rings of Power is a success, perhaps we will get Morgoth's story and see half a continent sink below the waves.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:04 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
...This is going to be CG, isn't it?
Sola Digital in charge yet again, so of course it is.
TarsTarkas wrote:
More Tolkien is fine by me. If Amazon's Rings of Power is a success, perhaps we will get Morgoth's story and see half a continent sink below the waves.
They ain't even got the rights from Tolkien Foundation to do anything that is within The Silmarillion story though?

All the fan-fiction that is Rings of Power was made just because they got materials from a few drafts and supplemental books to the LOTR itself - and even that took a eight-digit number to purchase the rights.
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:06 am Reply with quote
Re the question of whether the film will be CG, the answer is reportedly no - it'll be 2D. That's what the producer Jason Demarco, an Adult Swim executive, said on his Twitter feed (Spiral Curse Demarco) when the film was announced last year, and he gave the same answer just today to an inquiry on the subject -

https://twitter.com/Cwagz1892/status/1493388832657522691

The film is being animated by Sola Entertainment, which is indeed the parent company of Sola Digital Arts, which animated the CG series of Ultraman, SAC_2045 and Black Lotus. But LOTR may be being made by a different division of Sola Entertainment, or by a studio outsourced from it. Notably, LOTR’s production studio is listed on Sola’s own website as “Sola Entertainment/TBC.”

http://sola-ent.com/works/lotr-the-war-of-the-rohirrim/
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:47 am Reply with quote
This could prove to be worthwhile they better bring their A game in the casting department.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:16 am Reply with quote
It's a pretty good story and it comes from one of the Appendixes to LotR. It *could* be a good movie, and maybe they'll explain some of why the Dunlendings hate the Rohirrim.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:57 am Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
I'm very lukewarm on the Amazon series after seeing the trailer. It wasn't even a case of it looking bad, just "Oh ok, I was expecting something a bit more unique for 1 billion dollars, but I guess it seems fine."
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:47 pm Reply with quote
It’s way too early to make a judgment call either way, but I am more optimistic knowing it’s 2D.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Let's see if theatrical 2D could survive till 2024
SrkSano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:31 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:

Amazon series is WOKE!
So it will suck and they will GO BROKE!
But this film will be NO JOKE! Razz

Nah seriously who knows how either will turn out. Blade Runner Black Lotus was nothing to wrote home about. Dark Crystal Age of Resistance was dope though.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:36 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:

If I had to put money on it, I would bet The Lord of the Rings - The Rings of Power will be a dumpster fire.

- Someone arriving by meteorite to mix with Hobbits (when there is no record of Hobbits until approximately 1,000 T.A. in the Vales of Anduin, and no meteorites other than the one Ëol made swords from). Rolling Eyes
- Galadriel being an action figure heroine, and being stuck in a boat with a man. Rolling Eyes
- Compressing the timeline. Rolling Eyes
- Creating a sister for Isildur and having him join the "navy". Rolling Eyes
- Elves with Super Mario abilities (e.g., snatching an arrow out of the air). Rolling Eyes

It will not surprise me in the least if they have a love triangle between a Hobbit, an Ent, and a Great Eagle. Rolling Eyes
chronium

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

- Someone arriving by meteorite to mix with Hobbits (when there is no record of Hobbits until approximately 1,000 T.A. in the Vales of Anduin, and no meteorites other than the one Ëol made swords from). Rolling Eyes
- Galadriel being an action figure heroine, and being stuck in a boat with a man. Rolling Eyes
- Compressing the timeline. Rolling Eyes
- Creating a sister for Isildur and having him join the "navy". Rolling Eyes
- Elves with Super Mario abilities (e.g., snatching an arrow out of the air). Rolling Eyes

-That's how Wizards came to Middle Earth and that was a Harfoot a predecessor to Hobbits.

- Galadriel's original home is next to the ocean when she first comes to Middle Earth. Also the fact that she goes toe to toe with the spirit of Sauron in the Hobbit movies implies she's spent time in her past fighting.

- A story spanning thousands of years is hard to tell when half the cast only lives a small fraction of that time.

- There's no detailed story of his entire life so nothing says he can't be on a ship.

- Did you already completely ignore what Legolas has done in the movies?
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:03 pm Reply with quote
^
The Istari (Wizards) sailed from Valinor to Middle Earth and landed in the Grey Havens, which gave Nówë (Círdan) a chance to pass Narya (Ring of Fire) on to Olórin (Gandalf).

Galadriel's original home is Valinor in Aman. Hobbit movies are not canon.

A billion dollars should compensate for a story being hard to tell.

Isildur was of course on a ship when fleeing the downfall of Númenor.

Tolkien's books (which I read prior to Rankin-Bass The Hobbit existing) are canon, Peter Jackson's movies are not (nor are Khraniteli or Hobitit). Legolas as Super Mario is not canon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3