• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri Is My Job! Romance Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:25 am Reply with quote
Ugh. Didn't like this manga. It was way too mean spirited for my tastes, and it seemed way too happy to shit on Hime for things that aren't even her fault.
RobbiRobb

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:54 am Reply with quote
I have to admit I'm somewhat sceptical with that one. I read the first chapter a few weeks back when the 'news' came out that a domain was registered for an anime with that name and to be honest, I didn't really like it. Don't get me wrong, I generally enjoy a good yuri story, but it seemed like a setup for a really toxic realtionship. From what I heard from other people on the net there is a good chance I'm wrong, but the end of the teaser seems to at least confirm that this is not a cute romance from the beginning. I'm probably going to check it out once it airs, but for now I'll keep my expectations low unless someone convinces me otherwise.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:18 am Reply with quote
I have been reading Miman manga for years now and I absolutely love it. This is a dream come true. The characters are great, the story is outstanding and I am so looking forward to the anime adaption. Yuri is My Job has been one of my most favorite manga ever.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:33 am Reply with quote
Yui Ogura and Sumire Uesaka is an interesting combination. That facefull of boobs!

Looks like the twist though is that the tall girl doesn't quite get along with the MC as much as they project to others...
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:34 am Reply with quote
RobbiRobb wrote:
I have to admit I'm somewhat sceptical with that one. I read the first chapter a few weeks back when the 'news' came out that a domain was registered for an anime with that name and to be honest, I didn't really like it. Don't get me wrong, I generally enjoy a good yuri story, but it seemed like a setup for a really toxic realtionship. From what I heard from other people on the net there is a good chance I'm wrong, but the end of the teaser seems to at least confirm that this is not a cute romance from the beginning. I'm probably going to check it out once it airs, but for now I'll keep my expectations low unless someone convinces me otherwise.

I see anime only watchers dropping this like mad because of that, it breaks the illusion of your typical yuri and gets into the too realistic category. It's nice to see both Yui and Sumire back in the main cast again though, it's been a while.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I generally enjoy a good yuri story, but it seemed like a setup for a really toxic realtionship.

Yeah. A lot of the first volume consists of Hime messing up at her job and her employers and fellow employees being angry at her over stuff that they themselves never bothered to tell her, and just threw her to the wolves without, y'know, actually bothering to teach her how to do her damn job! I didn't bother reading the rest of the series after that because it just felt way too mean-spirited for me.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:36 am Reply with quote
I've been reading this manga these last few years, (shocker for me, I rarely read manga) so I'm really excited to hear of this getting an anime.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:47 am Reply with quote
Not sure how I feel about this.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:59 am Reply with quote
Not among the next shoujo ai mangas i was expecting to see in anime but a enjoyable one nonetheless.
RobbiRobb

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:19 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
RobbiRobb wrote:
[...]

I see anime only watchers dropping this like mad because of that, it breaks the illusion of your typical yuri and gets into the too realistic category. [...]

Well yeah, but I'd say it overshoots quite a bit and isn't even realistic. Keep in mind, I have only read the first chapter and bits from the rest of the first volume, so I obviously won't have the insight people who are up to date have. But to me it seemed liked it was trying to create it's comedy from throwing the protagonist into an environment she has never experienced and without giving her an explanation. I'm aware that a lot of people enjoy that kind of comedy (it is one I have seen in western movies quite a lot in the past, so it must have sold), but personally I don't. To me it just isn't funny to see people struggle, just because they don't ask and everyone else doesn't want to explain anything. So from that first chapter I just can't see how that can turn into a funny story and a pleasant relationship, let alone a romantic one. But as I said, I won't just drop it without at least checking it out. Maybe i'll be positively surprised.

FireChick wrote:
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I generally enjoy a good yuri story, but it seemed like a setup for a really toxic realtionship.

Yeah. A lot of the first volume consists of Hime messing up at her job and her employers and fellow employees being angry at her over stuff that they themselves never bothered to tell her, and just threw her to the wolves without, y'know, actually bothering to teach her how to do her damn job! I didn't bother reading the rest of the series after that because it just felt way too mean-spirited for me.

Yep, that's basically my understanding of the beginning of the story. I heard from a few people that it gets better later on, but apart from not being someone who is willing to suffer only to get something better at the end, I also don't see how this will be that important. It's probably going to be 12 episodes, so more than a few volumes won't be adapted. Meaning I don't know if the anime actually gets to the point where those people consider it to be good, wherever that may be. Either way, time to get some tea and wait to see how it will turn out.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:27 am Reply with quote
I'm not that much of a fan of yuri things, but this could be fu(nny).

Which makes me wonder, could revivals of Marimite, Utena, Kannazuki no Miko, and similar things work in the current era?

Or simply yuri in general, but with unique takes on them.

And before anyone says something like "the originals still hold up", yeah, well, maybe, but there is only so many times one can rewatch something before wanting something the same, but different, but still the same, and also more modern.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:29 am Reply with quote
Ah, I really like this one. It gets a lot better than the first volume and I think it’s less toxic relationship than ‘a lot of people in this story are actually pretty complicated’. It really comes into its own and there’s one absolute show-stopper scene around volume 5 that I am quite excited to see animated.

It’s not my favourite yuri series, somebody adapt Failed Princesses please, but it’s definitely one I really like.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:15 pm Reply with quote
It's been a long time since I read the first 6 volumes of the manga, but I'm guessing that we won't get to spoiler[Yano confessing her actual love for Hime]? I'm pretty much expecting 12 episodes and while I can only recall the earlier parts in broad strokes, I can't imagine they can get that far into it. Though that said, that would be one hell of a cliffhanger to leave it on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I heard this series get pretty wild in the relationships department in later volumes so once again it would be real a shame if this is only planned for one cour. I mean, there going to be 10 volumes that is going to be out, and that's plenty to work with. And it's been a long time since there was a 2-cour yuri TV series. Surprised
Florete

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Super excited! I love the manga.

Yune Amagiri wrote:
Not among the next shoujo ai mangas i was expecting to see in anime but a enjoyable one nonetheless.

It's yuri, not shoujo ai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2