• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fruits Basket -prelude-

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:34 am Reply with quote
I knew it.

I just knew people were going to complain about her parents being a student and teacher.

Rolling Eyes

...it's not like media from many countries has been doing this type of story for decades because it's one of those forbidden fantasies women like having.

....oh wait, yes it has.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:43 am Reply with quote
I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that there isn't much of a payoff in the epilogue when the movie is called Fruits Basket Prelude.
Alphonae

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Not a fan of how the reviewer judges the movie based on personal preferences. I'm saying this because the age gap isn't a major element in the story, as much as it was a major element in changing the reviewer's perception of the story, so that really shouldn't be used as a criteria in my opinion.
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:38 pm Reply with quote
but it kind of is and starts things a bad foot
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Alphonae wrote:
Not a fan of how the reviewer judges the movie based on personal preferences. I'm saying this because the age gap isn't a major element in the story, as much as it was a major element in changing the reviewer's perception of the story, so that really shouldn't be used as a criteria in my opinion.

Thank you; I couldn't agree more. Anime cry Actually, I could write an essay about how much I take issue with this....but I won't.

Quote:
but it kind of is and starts things a bad foot

It isn't; Kyoko has always been a rebel so it makes perfect sense that her husband started off in a taboo relationship with her.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Alphonae wrote:
Not a fan of how the reviewer judges the movie based on personal preferences

“Not a fan of reviews”
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The strongest members of the English cast are barely present, and while Lydia McKay is fine, her performance just doesn't come remotely close to the powerhouse that is Miyuki Sawashiro as Kyoko.

Small typo there, it's "Mackay".
Also while I don't doubt Miyuki Sawashiro is brilliant as usual, I adoooored Lydia Mackay's Kyoko in the series so much, so I've already got my heart set on what version I'll be checking out.
cchigu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:18 pm Reply with quote
While the review sucks, I also lean towards not liking this movie at all. There was nothing innovating and felt like the same old furuba beaten to death formula of people being just either black or white. No wonder it is a kids show.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:19 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Alphonae wrote:
Not a fan of how the reviewer judges the movie based on personal preferences

“Not a fan of reviews”

Okay, that is unfair to Alphonae.
That's not what a "review" is supposed to be? The reader just wants to know if it's a good adaptation of the material and if it's well-directed, animated, and written.

Personal feelings should not be a factor. They're entirely unnecessary, okay? The writer gave the story a C- mostly because "it made her uncomfy". That's....that really shouldn't have anything to do with the story's grade.

Made in Abyss's gore etc made me REALLY uncomfy....and I gave it a 10 because it was a highly effective, well-produced and executed piece of media and I give credit where credit is due.
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Alphonae wrote:

That sounds like a weak-sauce excuse to defend a problematic work that you like but don't want others to criticize at all. And no, age gap *is a major element of the two's story, which is fundamentally based on the uneven power dynamics between a teacher and a student. Katsuya is able to help Kyoko in the first place because he is an adult, not to mention her teacher, who exerts psychological and financial influence over her when she is at her lowest point in life. Sure, the story turns out alright because the author romanticized it. But it is perfectly legitimate for a reviewer to point out the ickiness of the basis of such a relationship to warn potential viewers who know the gravity of this issue in real life.

I was on the fence about this movie but seems like it's a safe skip for now.
borderparasol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Agreeing that it's weird that the author's focusing so much on the age gap in the relationship, mostly because you can't throw a rock without hitting a relationship that some people might view as problematic in Fruit Basket: The Series—which the target audience would know about going in. Seriously, Tohru's parents are one of the more vanilla relationships compared to the others which involve gaslighting, physical abuse, emotional abuse, dramatic backstory reveals, a bigger age gap, even more awful power dynamics, sleeping around to 'punish' someone, etc. etc. (and that's not even getting into the jokes about Hanajima having the hots for Kyo's adoptive dad).

It's not like the audience would be blindsided by the fact that the high school student fell for her young teacher: this is a movie that you aren't going to see unless you're a fan of the franchise. So I really don't know why the reviewer spent so much time focusing on that fact.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Matcha8 wrote:
But it is perfectly legitimate for a reviewer to point out the ickiness of the basis of such a relationship to warn potential viewers who know the gravity of this issue in real life.

This statement doesn't make sense to me, actually.

The "ickiness" doesn't need to be pointed out at all....because the description tells you everything you need to know:

It is a story featuring a teenaged student in a relationship with an adult teacher.

You are either bothered by this fact...or you are not.

Saying "teenaged student in a relationship with an adult teacher is icky" does not need to be said. I don't know why you think viewers need that "warning". When it comes to real life, this is just common sense.

Furuba fans know this is wrong in real life. We are not babies and do not need to be reminded of this.

@cchigu

No offense....but did you watch the same show as me? Fruits Basket has never put things "in black-and-white". And it is a show for teenaged girls, not "kids".
Songdragosa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:39 pm Reply with quote
The fact that the author displays so much bias while overlooking all of the other problematic elements in Fruits Basket, including several counts of incest not to mention how Shigure and Akito are a hundred times worse than Kyoko and Katsuya, tells me everything I need to know about her opinions.

This being a prequel movie doesn't deter that, either. She could have simply said "those familiar with the series know questionable relationships are par for the course", because honestly, who else is going to watch this if not already established Fruits Basket fans? But I suppose that would mean the author would need to have a sense of journalistic grace.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:41 pm Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
No wonder it is a kids show.

why do people always say this about shows that are clearly not kids shows?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Songdragosa wrote:
The fact that the author displays so much bias while overlooking all of the other problematic elements in Fruits Basket, including several counts of incest

I must come to her defense here; cousin marriages are permitted in Japan and not defined as "incest" as such.

Heck, cousin marriage is not even defined as "incest" in many parts of the world, including some states in the USA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7