• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Record of Ragnarok Anime's 2nd Season Reveals 2023 Netflix Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:54 pm Reply with quote
That's a nice key visual! Not sure what to expect animation-wise from season 2.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I know everyone had a bone to pick with the animation (not without cause mind you) but the fact remains it was an easy Netflix Top 10 when it came out, which puts it ahead of a lot of its animated and live action competition. A second season just makes sense financially.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Nice. The first season was ridiculous in a good way. Looking forward to more =)
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I expect the 2nd season will be banned again in India since the Hindu god Shiva is involved.
Blazi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Let's go slideshow s2 Laughing
Mushrinku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Why would they make a second season? the quality of the first season was absolutely horrible.

I guess it doesn't cost a lot to make a slideshow.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:06 am Reply with quote
Mushrinku wrote:
Why would they make a second season? the quality of the first season was absolutely horrible.

There's supply because there's demand?
From Baki to Kengan Ashura and now this. I think Netflix just loves them anime where badasses punching each others.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I know everyone had a bone to pick with the animation (not without cause mind you) but the fact remains it was an easy Netflix Top 10 when it came out, which puts it ahead of a lot of its animated and live action competition. A second season just makes sense financially.

You said the exact same thing last year, touting about the fact that this show was in Netflix's top 10. As if it was some sort of incredible, unheard-of achievement. And I remember that I told you that being in Netflix's top 10 doesn't mean much. Because just about every show/movie that Netflix acquires ends up cracking the top on the day of they're release. So it certainly doesn't mean that this show is ahead of "it's animated and live action competition".

Hell, even something like frickin Peter Grill was able to get a 2nd season. And that anime didn't exactly set the world on fire. The reason Ragnarok got another season may have more to do with it probably being a very cheap anime to make. Because looking at the slideshow that was season one, I can tell that not a lot of money was spent on animation.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:36 pm Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

You said the exact same thing last year, touting about the fact that this show was in Netflix's top 10. As if it was some sort of incredible, unheard-of achievement. And I remember that I told you that being in Netflix's top 10 doesn't mean much. Because just about every show/movie that Netflix acquires ends up cracking the top on the day of they're release. So it certainly doesn't mean that this show is ahead of "it's animated and live action competition".

Hell, even something like frickin Peter Grill was able to get a 2nd season. And that anime didn't exactly set the world on fire. The reason Ragnarok got another season may have more to do with it probably being a very cheap anime to make. Because looking at the slideshow that was season one, I can tell that not a lot of money was spent on animation.

Yeah, being the Top 10 the 1st week of release on Netflix doesn't mean anything. Hell, Netflix Bebop was Top 10 the week it came out, and was cancelled another week later. People who use flimsy arguments like this to justify low-quality products being successful only because they like them are unbearably annoying.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:12 am Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:

Yeah, being the Top 10 the 1st week of release on Netflix doesn't mean anything. Hell, Netflix Bebop was Top 10 the week it came out, and was cancelled another week later. People who use flimsy arguments like this to justify low-quality products being successful only because they like them are unbearably annoying.

I don’t know where he said he liked it though?

JonDoe wrote:

Hell, even something like frickin Peter Grill was able to get a 2nd season. And that anime didn't exactly set the world on fire. The reason Ragnarok got another season may have more to do with it probably being a very cheap anime to make.

Aren’t there plenty of cheaply produced anime that don’t wind up getting further material?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:44 am Reply with quote
The animation was an issue. But yes, a show doing well on a service where they quantify everything and micromanage everything, many times to its detriment, means it’s doing something right. I don’t see how that’s a controversial opinion, when Netflix does so much other stuff worthy of scorn.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1