• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure 02 Film Confirms Title, 2 New Cast Members, Studios

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:20 am Reply with quote
Yes yes yes! Kizuna was the last Digimon anime I sincerely enjoyed to the end (though Ghost Game isn't half bad so far) and I hope this film at least hits the same itch.

That Tri cliffhanger will just keep bothering me, though. Like, they clearly didn't retcon Tri in Kizuna, so what exactly was that about?
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:00 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
That Tri cliffhanger will just keep bothering me, though. Like, they clearly didn't retcon Tri in Kizuna, so what exactly was that about?

They didn't outright retcon it but Kizuna really only made one direct reference to Tri and has a handful of contradictions with it, so I'd imagine it's safe-ish to say that they don't plan on revisiting the stinger from Tri.

Really excited to see the 02 kids get some proper spotlight though. Absolutely loved Kizuna so I have high hopes for this movie.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:57 am Reply with quote
The Main issue i want resolved is with how tri ended vs the epilouge of 02 i mean they have to acknowledge that and somehow bring it back to those events.

spoiler[ The Digimon that disapeared were shown to be with the rest of the cast years later as they were adults so they have to bring them somehow if 02 is still canon it will bs if they dont ]
Fakerman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:22 am Reply with quote
ah, yes. more nostalgia pandering filled with plotholes.
great really.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:15 am Reply with quote
It's amazing how Digimon became the only Pokémon competitor to survive. Others have failed in the past (I'm looking at you Yo-kai Watch).
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:34 am Reply with quote
Great to see the Gen 2 cast of Digimon get some love
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:20 am Reply with quote
Gen 02 with the drip!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:52 am Reply with quote
YES! YES! YESSSSSSS!
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:46 pm Reply with quote
We're really doing "disillusioned older chosen child" for the third time. They just have no ideas for what to do with these nostalgia products.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:20 pm Reply with quote
They made it to 20 without spoiler[saying goodbye to their digimon]? How?
GasterTheGreat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:12 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:

Did you forget how 02 ended? And the epilogue?
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:18 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:

There's enough evidence to support the idea that it's not spoiler['becoming an adult' that separates you from your partner, but basically the idea of 'losing your inner child'. Tai and Matt doing typical things you'd expect out of adults without having any real direction and acting flippantly about their partners, Sora forcing herself into a job that's expected of her, and most importantly Menoa skipping half of her childhood to become a college student. And if you read the Digimon as a sort of 'inner child' the whole 02 gang makes sense - not only are they shown to be inseparable from their partners in Kizuna, but the whole group is living their best lives and currently trying to make their childhood dreams come true. That could be why Tai, Matt and Sora have a complete shift in gears between Kizuna and the 02 epilogue and of course, have their partners back]. It's super subtle though, weather they meant it to be that subtle or not.

Quote:
The Main issue i want resolved is with how tri ended vs the epilouge of 02 i mean they have to acknowledge that and somehow bring it back to those events.

Forgive me for not pulling up the link, but in a semi-recent Q&A video with Hiromi Seki - longtime Digimon producer - she confirmed that the epilouge was still canon.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:28 pm Reply with quote
GasterTheGreat wrote:
SnowWarren wrote:

Did you forget how 02 ended? And the epilogue?

Did you forget how Kizuna ended?
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:26 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
Did you forget how Kizuna ended?

Did you? spoiler[ Taichi was working on a way of bringing the digimon back.]

SnowWarren wrote:

From my understanding, spoiler[ the way that whole departure thing worked didn't mean that the digimon itself would cease to exist. And considering the thesis Taichi was shown to be working on at the end of Kizuna, I am guessing they found a way to travel to and from the digital world. Thus bringing back digimon with them might not be a problem anymore.]

Alternatively, spoiler[the separation isn't age based, but based on your own realizations. Thus the 02 cast might simply not be at that point.]
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:39 pm Reply with quote
If only they hadn't come up with a lazy metaphor for coming-of-age to serve as a source for cheap drama, while also making it incredibly obtuse and vague (with the one character who should know what's happening going "I dunno, maybe it's like this").
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2