• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Why You Should Watch Lycoris Recoil

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alphonae

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:21 am Reply with quote
So far, I'm liking the villians of this show more than the heroes. The heroes are your usual vigilantes, upholdig peace and all. The villians, however, seem to be a brave bunch, who try to narrate the truth, in a world full of sweet lies. I kind of support that cause, even if I'm against the means.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:04 am Reply with quote
It doesn't matter if this turns into a train-wreck. This show can survive multiple viewings just to find its Easter-eggs alone (Easter eggs that include music quotations in the soundtrack).

Thanks for identifying the "laughing squirrel" quote. I'm thinking the word "tapped" is playing double-duty here.

Also, I'm wondering if I'm seeing an additional homage of Eden of the East's concierge's seal in Walnut's logo (from hamster-cheeks to scales of justice), or if I'm just visually free-associating.

"www.black-market.orion" is a likely WcDonaldism for "www.black-market.onion" (as in a Tor network).
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:28 pm Reply with quote
From watching the first few episodes, it feel into my godilock zone for too serious to be enjoyed as wacky hi jinx but too silly to be enjoyed seriously. Like when she dodge bullets, either go all bullet time and make it really cool, or have it be cartoonish slapstick like Jim Carrey the mask. Instead she just... slightly sidestep? Boring.

Main character was also too much of a Mary Sue, again would be fine it it was more of a comedy, but its clear its trying to have some serious moment, which are just impossible to enjoy the moment she show up anywhere.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:19 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Main character was also too much of a Mary Sue

Please, can we not start this argument again...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:38 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Also, I'm wondering if I'm seeing an additional homage of Eden of the East's concierge's seal in Walnut's logo (from hamster-cheeks to scales of justice), or if I'm just visually free-associating.

Mostly it looks to me like it's either boobs, butts or balls, and I'm not sure which they were going for. So maybe it was just a shout-out to EotE (since they're seeking "balance") and I'm the one free-associating. Smile

Speaking of Easter eggs...
Quote:
I saw a gif of them on Twitter where they kick each other in the butt.

This is a reference to Stand By Me, for whatever reason.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:35 am Reply with quote
I've really taken quite a shine to this show-especially with the last 2 episodes. It just has a good feel to the characters and the plotline. I hope it continues to be as intriguing as it has been so far.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:30 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
I've really taken quite a shine to this show-especially with the last 2 episodes. It just has a good feel to the characters and the plotline. I hope it continues to be as intriguing as it has been so far.

The same. It looks so good (every move Chisato makes is a dance), the chemistry is great, both the action and the silly slice-of-life I-can't-believe-it's-not-yuri stuff is executed well (I'm still not sure how well they mesh, but I also mostly don't care if they don't). I feel like maybe I'm a hypocrite for thinking the DA is deeply sinister but rating this so highly despite the fact that the show doesn't seem to think so... but again: I don't care. Plenty of things don't hold up if you think too hard about them, but the same is true of a good proportion of other shows and almost any action movie you care to point a stick at. While it's fun to dig at the moral implications of the DA, it's also perfectly fine to enjoy the show on it's own level. And it is very enjoyable on that level.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
dm wrote:

Mostly it looks to me like it's either boobs, butts or balls, and I'm not sure which they were going for. So maybe it was just a shout-out to EotE (since they're seeking "balance") and I'm the one free-associating. Smile

So, looking at the Eden of the East concierge seal (here's an example I found: https://images.alphacoders.com/872/87231.jpg), I think if I were starting from there, I'd have ended up with a stylized owl and not a caricature of a squirrel. But the real reason I bring this up is that its circling motto is appropriate as a comment on what we've seen of the DA: "The Abuse of Greatness is when it disjoins Remorse from Power"

On the other hand, "balance", and perhaps breaking the connection between "remorse and power" aren't Kurumi's schtick. "Balance" is what the green-haired villain is after, though his methods don't seem to mix any remorse in with his power.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:44 am Reply with quote
One quibble with the bit about the "train full of Lycoris getting mowed down" part. It was actually a trap set by the Lycoris and the terrorists who were mowed down, then the one guy who seems to have plot armor set off explosives and blew up the train full of Lycoris.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1