• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JoJo, Attack on Titan Anime Writer Yasuko Kobayashi Starts New Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:44 am Reply with quote
interesting premise.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:49 am Reply with quote
Wish him the very best in this path. I don't know if he's done something like this before, but he's written a lot of great anime, so this should still be in his wheelhouse.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:55 am Reply with quote
I've been a fan of Kobayashi ever since I first watched her tokusatsu work, so it's cool to see her dipping into manga!
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
Wish him the very best in this path. I don't know if he's done something like this before, but he's written a lot of great anime, so this should still be in his wheelhouse.

Kobayashi is a woman, actually.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Going from adapting others works to running your own completely original story is a big step. I wish her good luck. (Unless I misread the article). Does anyone know of any long running series that has the writer and artist are separate people? Technically One Punch Man is though it is based on ONE's own webcomic, and there has been some question how much changes to the manga from webcomic has been ONE's work or Murata's.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Going from adapting others works to running your own completely original story is a big step. I wish her good luck. (Unless I misread the article). Does anyone know of any long running series that has the writer and artist are separate people? Technically One Punch Man is though it is based on ONE's own webcomic, and there has been some question how much changes to the manga from webcomic has been ONE's work or Murata's.

Death Note/Bakuman, Boruto, Dragon Ball Super, Act Age (until the author got arrested), To Love-Ru....
It's actually quite common.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:02 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:

Kinnikuman and Fist of the North Star are two of the biggest manga of all time with a writer/artist duo.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:26 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Does anyone know of any long running series that has the writer and artist are separate people?

Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai was a duo with it's writer being known for multiple things himself.
UkiyaSeed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:27 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:

If you watch her tokusatsu works, she knows how to write a damn good story. Seriously, Mirai Sentai Timeranger, if you cut all the Super Sentai stuff, it is still a really good story about four cops from the future, chasing criminals from said future to the present and they meet this present guy who is running away from his destiny and ends up working with said four future cops to help them arrest these criminals by setting up and odds job business as their day job, and helping them at the same time. It's both compelling sci-fi, and later, it added a romance element that made sense with the story they are telling.

That said, here are all of her tokusatsu works per franchise.

Kamen Rider
- Kamen Rider Ryuki - often cited as one of the inspirations for Madoka Magica, battle royale series
- Kamen Rider Den-O - action comedy series starring Takeru Satoh of live-action Rurouni Kenshin film series fame, and is one of the popular entries of the franchise
- Kamen Rider OOO - another popular entry of the franchise starring a hobo and his bird man partner
- Kamen Rider Amazons - a reimagining of Kamen Rider Amazon, but with its own unique twist. It's only common factor with the original Showa era series are the basic suit designs of the heroes, and the gore

Super Sentai
- Seijuu Sentai Gingaman - if you are familiar with Power Rangers Lost Galaxy, a lot of its plot elements were directly lifted from it
- Mirai Sentai Timeranger - if you are familiar with Power Rangers Time Force, a lot of its plot elements were directly lifted from it
- Samurai Sentai Shinkenger - if you are familiar with Power Rangers Samurai... it's the same show, but they remove all the Japanese cultural nuances and made it American. Heck, Kobayashi was credited in every episode she was involved in the original Shinkenger series.
- Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters - super spies
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:25 am Reply with quote
^There's also the Sailor Moon live-action show which she solo worked on after Ryuki. It covered the dark kingdom arc and was better than the manga and both anime story-wise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1