• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Detective Conan (Case Closed) (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:52 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
E1025 - Ooka Momiji's Challenge

If she knew he really was in mortal danger, and still held back the info I'd say it'd be straight-up proof of her being a sociopath unconcerned with the pain of others.
As it is... I'd still say it kind of points that way.
"Oh, a friend has informed me of someone in possible danger... How can I use this for myself?"

Since her attitude never changed even after there was a murder ("Oh well, on with the game!"), I'd say definitely points that way.

1029 Police Academy Arc Wild Police Story
CASE: Matsuda Jinpei

So this looks like it could be a fun diversion, but I don't think I know anyone but Amuro, and the whole case was absolutely idiotic. On top of that, Amuro didn't shoot precisely enough at his target to be able to hit the thickness of a rope with a person attached. I.e., none of his 5 shots hit dead center on the range. Plus, nobody seemed at all concerned when he first fell through the ceiling for like five minutes, and then they kinda stood around debating what they should do. Even when they decided, no one seemed to be in much of a hurry to carry it out.

I also didn't get the bullet thing. I assumed someone was setting Matsuda up (like his instructor), but then it turned out to be some rando guy. The trick to outing him was ok, but his excuse was so lame it was hard to swallow. I guess it was to up the tension, but failed for being so dumb. And I thought it was Amuro people didn't like for being a whip-smart gaijin, so I didn't quite get why the instructor had it in for Matsuda so hard.

Still, I'll look forward to the next one, whenever they decide to pick it up again.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
1030-31 The Blank Year

That was a pretty good story. I sussed the culprit almost right away, but I didn't want it to be them. And they had me convinced I was wrong until the last third of the 2nd part. Mostly though, I just liked how it kept getting more complicated and emotionally traumatic along the way. One of those stories where nobody wins.

Still can't get over how unaffected Conan (and the Detective Boys too) usually is after murders are solved and Mori wakes up. They really need to save the light-hearted stuff for the post credits.

1032 Ran Mori, the Model

Lol. Painting a portrait of Ran just draws attention to how ridiculous her horn is. Very Happy

Kasuga: I went out shopping one day. My ideal model just happened to show up there. A unicorn girl!!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

1032 Ran Mori, the Model

Lol. Painting a portrait of Ran just draws attention to how ridiculous her horn is. Very Happy

Kasuga: I went out shopping one day. My ideal model just happened to show up there. A unicorn girl!!

Exactly, "I must preserve the brown traffic cone stuck on her forehead for posterity!"

1090-1092 Taiko Meijin's Shogi Board

In which I realize that the only thing keeping Conan and Sera and Akai and everyone else in that family ignorant of each other's situation is a stubbornness on everyone's end to figure out the "mystery" themselves. There is simply no reason for this group of friends and allies to keep their secrets from each other and revealing their stories willingly could only hasten the solutions to their problems. Instead we get "years" of Conan pondering the significance of a little girl wearing mascara.

"Say, Shukichi, what family adopted you and why? That info could really help me, ya know."

"Hey Sera, let's just clear our bases, did your mother get force-fed APTX? I should probably say, the same thing happened to me and Haibara. Wanna compare notes?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:40 pm Reply with quote
That's true, but since he won't even tell Ran, despite how that often puts her unwittingly in danger, I guess they're all just so used to playing things close to the vest they can't act in their own interests.

The Shogi case was pretty good, but I had to laugh at the one murder. "So where does the other guy live?" "Oh, just over there in that apartment building. Which appears to be going up in flames right now."

1036-7 White Out was pretty good for a Detective Boys story. But I couldn't understand why they had cell phone reception at the lodge but not out on the slopes, which can't possibly be that far away, since the kids got where they were on foot and sled. Also, the adults were kinda lame when they tried to report to them. And the separation event was insanely improbable in its precision. Smile
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:54 am Reply with quote
Watched The Sapphire Bullet movie (crappy subtitles though). again, it mixes a story with typical over-the-top bombast with a continued slight manga story integration.
SO, on one hand you have Conan acting extremely conspicuously in the eyes of the public, being filmed acting suspiciously mature in recorded video that, SHOULD be an international sensation- exactly the kind of thing that you'd really not want a shady criminal org witness when you're trying to stay under the radar.
On the other hand, the material dealing with Akai's family seems to be "canon" material, having multiple family members interact. Akai and Shukichi act together, and Akai meets the others, albeit under his alias- and even he doesn't completely seem to know what's going on with them.
But it definitely informs Taiko Meijin's Shogi Board

The plot about the kidnappers/murderers/train hijakers was confusing as heck though.

The guy who was originally arrested 15 years ago never confessed and was maybe innocent... or maybe not... and the guy who WAS guilty but not revealed publicly was a copycat... and couldn't be revealed.... for reasons.... and the first guy had a partner.... and I'm not sure if we figured out who that was...
...Oh who cares, Akai shoots at a bullet train from miles away and Conan times it perfectly so the hostage taker gets shot in the shoulder by that bullet many minutes later--- cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:15 pm Reply with quote
E1039 - The Flying Jack-o'-lantern

So.... Easter episode next October?

A pleasant episode movie tie-in featuring a neglected character. I'm surprised the post-credits scene wasn't her coming back to her question. But may it have something minor to do with the movie too... although I figured she was just going to ask if he was seeing anyone.

Anyways, HAPPY EASTERWEEN!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah it was a nice Eastoween episode. I was worried they were gonna make the old lady the culprit because she couldn't do her punkins as good as usual and was ashamed to enter them or admit her neighbors' were better. Glad they had a sweeter solution!

Did they show us the footprints on the table? Felt like an asspull clue, but maybe I missed it.

I've been enjoying Zero's Tea Time a lot so far. (yo ho ho! Not waiting till July, Netjerx!) I've always liked Amuro, so his getting the spotlight is a treat for me. He sure is a busy little multi-hat beaver!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:11 am Reply with quote
1040 The Case of Ayumi's Illustrated Diary 2

Well that was just delightful. These kids have definitely been tainted by all their exposure to murders, kidnappings and robberies. Ayumi was really hankering for something, anything, to blow up real good! Or a good gunfight! Oh well, a car chase will have to do. And her drawings are always fun.

I also got a kick out of how the text messages flowing across the screen lampshaded the kids being at the scene of a bomb threat. But is it really unusual for Japanese people to be familiar with SOS? I mean, I don't know Morse code beyond s and o, but I thought that was pretty universal knowledge.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:46 pm Reply with quote
It was a little disappointing that , unlike the first picture diary case, Ayumi's picture diary had nothing to do with the actual case and was just a framing device this time.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:02 am Reply with quote
1045-1046 The Birthday Party of Divine Punishment

I have to admit that the episode fooled me. I was sure it was spoiler[the chef, and that it wasn't a poison, it was an allergy- becasue they made sure to have him ask about allergies in his intro.] Good Red Herring.

But again... as the continuing story establishes- you nitwits just need to work together!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:09 pm Reply with quote
1047-8 The Red Sheep's Eerie Game

This was a pretty good one, but dayum, pretty much everyone who wasn't the murderer was still some sort of criminal - tax evasion, theft, kidnapping (or is that extortion, since the "victim" wasn't really kidnapped?), fraud, and probably half a dozen other charges that could be filed.

In the first half of this, I was feeling pretty put out for the boyfriend getting tested by his shitbag girlfriend, but then in the second half when the truth came out, I didn't feel so bad for him. Still not sure he was corrupt enough to deserve her though.

Dunno if this is an anime original story or if not, when the manga story would've appeared, but the tax thing sounded like it was inspired by ufotable's president Hikaru Kondo hiding the profits of his restaurants in a home safe. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:15 pm Reply with quote
1049 The Threat to Megure's Police Career!

That was a pretty decent case. Nice to see Megure get the spotlight for a change, though he still failed to solve the case himself, despite his closing sermon. But I'm kinda iffy on the concept of how you strong-arm random people into writing autobiographies for you to publish.

Was it just me, or did they farm this one out to the C-Team of animators? Everyone looked just a little like they were drawn by different artists, when they weren't completely off-model, that is. Only a handful of key frames in the whole episode looked normal.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:18 pm Reply with quote
1057 Bad Guys

One of the more contrived ones they've done for awhile. Given that the only real evidence they have is a 6 year old's testimony, they probably couldn't convict with that. However spoiler[tossing said 6 year old off a roof top while the police watch] should warrant some jail time.

The whole chase scene was weird though. The guy had spent part of an afternoon with them all carrying his groceries, but when he sees Conan an hour later, he's all, "Who are you?" And the hospital apparently has no security to intervene in a hospital-wide chase.

It was also pretty bizarre that spoiler[she'd try to kill them while there were nurses in the room! And why did Conan dart her? He could've just done his innocent "Whatcha doin'?" act, and that would've stopped her. Now he's got an unconscious woman draped over the patient, with no knowledge that hubby/boyfriend is going to come to have an incriminating conversation with her.]

The ending was kind of poignant, but I'm a little disappointed they didn't bring it around that the fire truck was already in the neighborhood spoiler[to be Johnny on the Spot to set up the air bag] because Genta called them. Very Happy It did get a laugh out of me when he guiltily pointed to himself when it first went by, like, "Did I do that?"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:05 am Reply with quote
1063 The Targeted Chicken Sexer

Of all the cases they might have, chicken sexing is not one I would've have imagined in a million years! Laughing And the "Chicken Sexing World Monthly" magazine was just the icing on the cake. At least they didn't go into what happens to most of the male chicks... :/

And there really are tournaments! It's a dying profession though both because few want to do it anymore and new methods of sexing are being developed, but Japan is still the home of the world's best chicken sexers! As for the case itself, it wasn't too hard to figure out who Hannin-san was this week.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:34 am Reply with quote
1071-72 Kudou Yuusaku's Detective Show

That was fun. Especially the twist at the end. Smile I can't remember though - spoiler[does Vermouth know Conan is Shinichi?] I kinda remember that she does, but I'm not sure. If not, I guess she does now!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8