• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers 30th Anniversary Special's Trailer Highlights Story, Action Scenes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boy Howdy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Why are they doing this
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Boy Howdy wrote:
Why are they doing this

Uh, because it's awesome?
Boy Howdy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Boy Howdy wrote:
Why are they doing this

Is it?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:01 pm Reply with quote
My inner 8-year-old informs me that yes, it very much is.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Boy Howdy wrote:
Why are they doing this

Why not?
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:39 pm Reply with quote
The kid in me is saying this is awesome, while the adult in me is saying this is stupid. They fight and the kid wins cause the adult in me is easily winded and has back pain.

This is cool though, I can't believe it's been 30 years since the first run of power rangers. I can still vaguely remember bits and pieces of it.

As a one-time anniversary special, I absolutely love this. Especially seeing those silly monster costumes and can't wait to see the megazord and monster fight in those fake cities.

You know as I kid collateral damage was never on mind but I wonder just how much buildings and roads were destroyed and had to be rebuilt. Heck what about casualties, NERV had transforming cities but unless there's a slide in every building leading to a shelter I don't think the monsters are waiting around for people to evacuate. And what does the government do about all these...
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Boy Howdy wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Boy Howdy wrote:
Why are they doing this

Is it?

Geeze someone is not happy over a 30 YEAR ANNIVERSARY SHOW! Come on... lighting up and have some fun on the matter...

As for me... I look forward to this reunion...
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't care what anyone else says I'm glad it's happening. In hindsight yes it's silly but sometimes you just need a good dose of Sentai/Kamen Rider silliness.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:18 am Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to seeing the classic MMPR cast reunited and it looks like a lot of fun and I love all the Easter eggs in the trailer.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:21 am Reply with quote
I am curious if this special will connect to the events to Dino Fury or the upcoming Cosmic Fury.

Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

Geeze someone is not happy over a 30 YEAR ANNIVERSARY SHOW! Come on... lighting up and have some fun on the matter...

Not to mention I can imagine it will be LEAGUES better than what ever the hell happened during the 20th Anniversary.
09jcg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:24 am Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
Boy Howdy wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Boy Howdy wrote:
Why are they doing this

Is it?

My son has been really into power rangers lately, so it'll actually be kind of cool to sit down and watch this with him
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:25 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
Boy Howdy wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Boy Howdy wrote:
Why are they doing this

Is it?

My son has been really into power rangers lately, so it'll actually be kind of cool to sit down and watch this with him

At the end of the day! This is something I looking forward to… and the new design of the power chamber looks AMAZING
NieR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:21 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to seeing Alpha 5, Billy and Zack again. It would have been awesome to have Austin St. John in the special, but still very much excited to watch this. Would be fun if Bulk and Skull had a role, even if it's just a conversation reference.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:13 am Reply with quote
They got Barbara Goodson and Richard Steven Horvitz back!

I'm really not sure how I feel about them killing Trini off like that (and then just up and having her new daughter take over as the Yellow Ranger).

So was there just some location benefit to summoning Rocky and Kat because they needed a Red and Pink? Because thematically Jason and Kimberly would've made more sense even if I get they couldn't get the actors back. I wonder who the Green Ranger is (unless that's actually Tommy and that's the entire original lineup together because of the time travel).

Holy crud, the Zords! The Megazord! I wasn't sure we'd get that at all! Are those suits or CG though?
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:39 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
They got Barbara Goodson and Richard Steven Horvitz back!

I'm really not sure how I feel about them killing Trini off like that (and then just up and having her new daughter take over as the Yellow Ranger).

So was there just some location benefit to summoning Rocky and Kat because they needed a Red and Pink? Because thematically Jason and Kimberly would've made more sense even if I get they couldn't get the actors back. I wonder who the Green Ranger is (unless that's actually Tommy and that's the entire original lineup together because of the time travel).

Holy crud, the Zords! The Megazord! I wasn't sure we'd get that at all! Are those suits or CG though?

I'm assuming it's just an actor thing. Jason's actor was arrested and Kimberly's actor seems to have not wanted anything to do with the franchise for a long itme, so they got the 2nd Red and Pink instead. Not sure if this was filmed before Tommy's actor's passing.

I have no real feelings about this, to be honest.. I stopped watching Power Rangers once Turbo came out so anything after I have no knowledge or interest in, so if they just do the initial two teams that's key demographic enough for me. But at the same time they've done so many callbacks and reunions for MMPR already I just view this as another one to add to the pile. We've seen Jason, Adam, Tommy, and others come back many times. But props for the other characters who haven't before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2