• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Doga Kobo Announces Original TV Anime Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:07 am Reply with quote
Hit or miss they might be, the thing I like about original show is that you don't know what to expect. Since DG's announcing this to celebrate their 50th anniversary, they must've intended it to be special. Curious what they're cooking this time.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:38 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Hit or miss they might be, the thing I like about original show is that you don't know what to expect. Since DG's announcing this to celebrate their 50th anniversary, they must've intended it to be special. Curious what they're cooking this time.

True, but it is fun not knowing what to expect, wether it be for good or bad. Plus that some original works are the most out there experiences in anime.
kyuudere

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:01 am Reply with quote
Ryohei Takeshita is a big fan of Bottom-tier Character Tomozaki, so I'm glad they're able to work together again. Previously the indirectly worked together in DIALOGUE+ animated music video, Yaku Yuuki wrote the script for the live reading that DIALOGUE+ performed, and Ryohei Takeshita made the animated music video based on that.

I've also noticed that they've been following each other on twitter since 2019, so I had thought that Takeshita was going to direct Tomozaki anime at first (that didn't happen), so I'm really glad that they're able to unleash their full potential with original anime. One thing I'm sure, Yaku Yuuki is really a good writer, especially in youth drama. I'm sad that Tomozaki was being disparaged by almost all of ANN writers in the Winter 2021 preview, I hope this one will be a hit.
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:59 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:

Very true! I’ve seen some original anime’s that I really loved (mostly from studio trigger they do really well with original anime’s) and others I felt were meh.
09jcg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:27 am Reply with quote
kyuudere wrote:

I've also noticed that they've been following each other on twitter since 2019, so I had thought that Takeshita was going to direct Tomozaki anime at first (that didn't happen), so I'm really glad that they're able to unleash their full potential with original anime. One thing I'm sure, Yaku Yuuki is really a good writer, especially in youth drama. I'm sad that Tomozaki was being disparaged by almost all of ANN writers in the Winter 2021 preview, I hope this one will be a hit.
Yeah I think alot of people really undersold Tomozaki. I started reading the LNs and there is alot more to it than "self improvement book in anime form".

It's extremely deep and has some very interning twists so I'm very excited to see what the writter dies with this show.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:30 pm Reply with quote
A Doga Kobo original from the Tomozaki-kun author? Color me intrigued.

I think I heard Rie Takahashi in there?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting on the romantic comedy Humpback Whales Can't Breathe Underwater, or the dramatic tragedy of Rhinos Can't Masturbate Without Peanut Oil.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1