• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Teases Project Q Device to Stream Games From PS5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandsu

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 3:19 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for people to be just as confused about this as they were about the Wii U, just kinda the other way around. Thinking (especially since it's probably gonna be expensive, let's be real) that it's an actual handheld instead of an accessory for the PS5 you have to already own.

I mean people are already just calling this "the new Playstation handheld" which is just misleading. Sure, you hold it in your hand, but the same goes for any controller. The Wii U gamepad also had a screen with local streaming from a console but nobody called that a handheld. And that's basically what this is. A Wii U gamepad for Playstation that isn't gonna be directly utilized by games but otherwise has better tech and more range (but possibly more input lag too), but still will almost solely serve as a way for people to take their PS5 games with them to the bathroom or their bedroom or to play on the side while watching TV.

Not sure I would pay like what... 150-200+ bucks for that, or however much this will be, especially when you could just do that same thing on your phone anyway,

Honestly makes me wonder why they didn't just go a few extra steps and made an actual handheld with SteamDeck-like specs or something
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 3:38 am Reply with quote
Anyone that knows anything knows this is the culmination of the "remote play" feature that Sony started with PS3 to PSP. It was interesting back then, but I don't care for it now.
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:55 am Reply with quote
What an odd device to release in a "post-Wii U, post- Google stadia" world.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:32 am Reply with quote
One of the most dead on arrival products to ever be conceived by Sony. I don't get what they're thinking here as the market for this sort of device is incredibly small, this will sell way worse than the PS Vita. They're releasing what will be at minimum a $150-$200 device that can only remote play PlayStation 5 games. Did they forget that years ago they expanded remote play from the PSP (select PS3 games and all PS1 games (physical and digital), albeit with horrible input lag) and PS Vita (same as PSP with way less input lag but with all PS4 games supported) to mobile devices and laptops?

What reason does someone have to buy something that can only do remote play for a $500 console, when they've likely already got a phone, a tablet, and/ or a laptop which can already do remote play and a bunch of other things? Did they really think that people bought the PS Vita only to remote play PS4 games? No, they bought it because they wanted a dedicated handheld that could natively play its own games, while things like remote play with two consoles (PS3 and PS4) was a nice bonus.

As the Switch, Switch Lite (which stupidly has no video out, the PSP 2000, 3000, and Go all supported that...), and Steam Deck have shown, there is still a viable market for dedicated portables. The reason the PS Vita struggled was not because of phones (it did eat into the market, but didn't completely kill it), it was because of poor marketing (it's difficult to find someone that has even heard of a PS Vita, but they still know what the long discontinued PSP is), horribly handled bundles (US: Black PS Vita everytime, digital game voucher and 4GB memory card. Japan: PS Vita specially designed to match the physically bundled game.), overpriced proprietary memory cards that were prone to failure, a high price (a PS Vita at launch with a memory card cost about as much as a PS3), and lack of support which caused a downward spiral.

Despite Sony practically abandoning the thing outside of Japan (where it did decent) only a year after release, it managed to sell around 15 million units and it had quite the attach rate for software. People have been begging for a successor for quite a while, and they instead decide to release basically a Wii U tablet with expanded range for the PS5 separately. Speaking of which, I wonder how the Wii U sold, and if it sold less units than the PlayStation Vita...

[Edit]I now just found out they revealed this the day prior for $100. I'm now even more confused about why this new streaming-only device exists when people could just buy this instead.
https://blog.playstation.com/2023/05/23/backbone-one-playstation-edition-launches-on-android-today/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:52 am Reply with quote
I've always had issues with PS remote play when trying on Android, PC & Steam Deck so if they can optimize this new device extremely well & the price is $200 or under then I'm interested. I think this device needs to be a flawless experience unlike the other methods for this to have a chance.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:53 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
Anyone that knows anything knows this is the culmination of the "remote play" feature that Sony started with PS3 to PSP. It was interesting back then, but I don't care for it now.

Yeah, it seems like Sony has been fixated on remote play, but it never caught on as much of a thing. It was a neat feature for PSP/PS3 and Vita/PS4 since it gave you added functionality if you happened to own those systems, but a device just for that seems unnecessary. It already looks like just one of those controller backbone devices for phones that is already out there. The remote play app for phones and one of those would accomplish the same thing.

Personally, despite owning systems with remote play, I've used it once. And that was a very specific instance where the more accurate D-pad on the Vita made getting a trophy easier than using the Dulashock 4.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:46 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:

I think I streamed games from my PS4 to my Vita exactly twice.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, Sony doing what Nintendid.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:

This was my first thought too, though "remote play" for the PSP/PSV was always just a neat little side feature. No one bought the PSP/PSV for the remote play; they bought it because it was a handheld they could take with them.

It feels like Sony is trying to get in on the lucrative hybrid console market, while trying to promote an in-house system they've already developed, but honestly I'm with everyone else in that I don't think this will sell. When I buy a handheld device, I want it to be fully handheld, not something I have to keep another device on to use.

Honestly, while I know it's a slim possibility, I'd love for Sony to bring back their handheld line. I know the PSV did awful in sales, but so did the Wii U, and Nintendo bounced back! Heck, with Asus also getting in on the hybrid console business now, I'm surprised Sony isn't at least trying, especially since I suspect they still have infrastructure in place for it from their PSV days.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:13 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
One of the most dead on arrival products to ever be conceived by Sony. I don't get what they're thinking here as the market for this sort of device is incredibly small, this will sell way worse than the PS Vita. They're releasing what will be at minimum a $150-$200 device that can only remote play PlayStation 5 games. Did they forget that years ago they expanded remote play from the PSP (select PS3 games and all PS1 games (physical and digital), albeit with horrible input lag) and PS Vita (same as PSP with way less input lag but with all PS4 games supported) to mobile devices and laptops?

What reason does someone have to buy something that can only do remote play for a $500 console, when they've likely already got a phone, a tablet, and/ or a laptop which can already do remote play and a bunch of other things? Did they really think that people bought the PS Vita only to remote play PS4 games? No, they bought it because they wanted a dedicated handheld that could natively play its own games, while things like remote play with two consoles (PS3 and PS4) was a nice bonus.

I think the reason for this device, is to open up the Ps5 to make it possible to play it with the same kinds of trends we already see with Switch players. Switch players who use their device mainly as a handheld, are probably playing a Switch while streaming, watching tv shows, news, radio, etc. etc.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:

Honestly, while I know it's a slim possibility, I'd love for Sony to bring back their handheld line. I know the PSV did awful in sales, but so did the Wii U, and Nintendo bounced back!

Nintendo didn’t release a digital only version of a handheld that no one wanted followed by another handheld, and a console specific version of the preceding handheld that apparently didn’t do too hot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1