• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Website Removed Bokurano, Rocket Girls, Romeo × Juliet

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fabe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
I've seen "Rocket Girls" as a fansub, I really hope this means it's been licensed so I can add it to my collection.
halo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
I've seen "Rocket Girls" as a fansub, I really hope this means it's been licensed so I can add it to my collection.

Ditto. Girls in skimpy spacesuits is a weakness of mine. I'm guessing that they do have a license for it since I don't see too much reason for FUNimation to include it otherwise. Gonzo using FUNi for take-downs isn't anything new and FUNi already has some vested interest in Negima, if not the licenses for those specific series, but unless Happinet is doing like Gozon and using FUNi as an agent, and one random series doesn't really indicate that, I doubt that's the case. The next logical reason would be they licensed it. FUNimation probably has some extra money to splurge on some moe and Shuffle is doing well for them so it might make sense.

And for what it's worth, the Google AdSense ads in the banner I'm reading on ANN while I post this link me to one pay for fansub download site and an index of streaming anime sites that include Crunchyroll. So who's all profiting from illegal downloads?
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:

And for what it's worth, the Google AdSense ads in the banner I'm reading on ANN while I post this link me to one pay for fansub download site and an index of streaming anime sites that include Crunchyroll. So who's all profiting from illegal downloads?

You can report this in the...bugs section? I think. List the sites in the ads and an admin can block them. There's a thread there already.

Last edited by Vortextk on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
heh, and so it begins. you knew this was coming.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:

Someone started up a thread for reporting Google ads of questionable legality here. If you report them, hopefully tempest will be able to get them blocked.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
If I was running FUNimation and/or Bandai, I'd be more embarrassed that people knew I'd licensed more moe crap, not that someone else got there before me. Rolling Eyes
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
They really should save their money and not license so much crap.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
Great......here come the moe-bashers......AGAIN. If you don't like moe...DON'T WATCH IT.....no one if forcing you......just like no one is forcing you to bitch & moan (TM) in every single thread that tells of the (possible) licensing of a moe show.

Funimations actions are nothing new, they did this some time ago with Solty Rei and some other series (C&D while not announcing the license). Interesting that is was about Gonzo shows that time as well
Oronae

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quote
Sorry, GONZO. It's far too late. There's absolutely no way I'm going to buy your crappy adaptation of Bokurano.

Next time, try hiring a director who DOESN'T hate the original work. Or, at the very least, one who can manage to tell a coherent story if he does decide to diverge from the original plot.

Though even if you HAD bothered to get a decent director I suppose it wouldn't have mattered given the shoestring budget you gave him. Well, then again, maybe he just wasted the entire budget on godawful Zearth CG for all of those poorly managed, boring, mecha battles. Would it have hurt to have some sort of variety in the Mecha battles beyond WALK WALK WALK SMASH SMASH SMASH DONE?

Edit: For the record, I have more problems with the show than just the boring mecha battles but I've probably ranted about how bad the show is here too much as it is. So I'll shut up for now.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Should have told that to ADV and Geneon a while back. The companies will put down a lot of money just to get the license, but if they don't do anything with then they could get into big trouble, and have nothing left over if they don't make good sales. This seems to be a pretty controversial season right now, because of Crunchyroll getting their funding and then this reaction of the companies that's trying to blow things out of the water.
Apterous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:31 am Reply with quote
crunchyroll also lists "Re: Cutie Honey" as licensed by funi (removed at their request), but it hasn't been announced as licensed. Either they have it, or they're moving on Gainax's bahalf.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If I was running FUNimation and/or Bandai, I'd be more embarrassed that people knew I'd licensed more moe crap, not that someone else got there before me. Rolling Eyes

If you think that either Bokurano or Rocket Girls can be catagorized as "moe", then you have stretched the concept beyond the point of elasticity.
Archer113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Or release the good stuff they have licensed in a more timely manner... here's looking at you Monster.
Honestly these anime companies are so willing to "fight a war" but not willing to have "peace talks" Gonzo was at least smart enough to see that people obviously want to either watch or get their anime over the internet.... I guess American Companies just aren't as........
Quote:

but a removal request is not necessarily a confirmation of any license

Then why whine and cry about it? If it's not yours don't worry... Just keep picking up your crappy anime title licenses.
spimmy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote
bandai removed also removed Gundam 00
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
GATSU wrote:

If you think that either Bokurano or Rocket Girls can be catagorized as "moe", then you have stretched the concept beyond the point of elasticity.

Agreed. I can't speak for Bokurano, but Rocket Girls was at least a half-way educational anime that was produced while in consultation with the Japanese version of NASA (name escapes me at the moment). And most anime fans probably wouldn't know this, but 2007-2008 is a very important time for the Japanese space program, and raising public awareness is key right now. But, I guess if you want to write the anime off using the label "moe", I can't stop you. Just don't do it ignorantly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3