• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cherry Magic! Thirty Years of Virginity Can Make You a Wizard?! (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:52 pm Reply with quote

Cherry Magic! Thirty Years of Virginity Can Make You a Wizard?! (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 13 volumes, by Yuu Toyota)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Satelight

Genres: comedy, fantasy, romance

Themes: adult cast, LGBTQ, superpowers, workplace, yaoi

Plot Summary: Adachi, a thirty-year-old virgin, has developed the power to read people's minds by touching them. After a brush with his very handsome colleague, Adachi realizes he has a raging crush on none other than Adachi himself.

Air Date & Platform:
January 10, 2024 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

A bunch of new shows came out today, so I thought that I would start off with the lowest rated one on Crunchyroll, which looked like a virginity joke one so that I could probably write it off early. Turned out that I quickly grew to love the first episode, and most certainly going to continue this. Actually another example of being happily surprised to go in blind.

As soon as Kurosawa said they could climb the stairs together my response was that it has to be flirting, scoffed at the girls fawning over him, and felt validated when it became more obvious. I am totally up for this BL looking thing, especially when I kind of lost interest in Boss is Goofy last season became so obvious it wouldn't actually advance into a queer relationship. For real it looks like the sort of thing I had actually been wanting.

On a personal level, I think I might connect too much with the story, which maybe the sort of projection that work with a lot of romance stories. For myself as a socially awkward person who has had to work with self-confidence issues, and possibly the similar kind of issue that I am reading in getting into intimacy.

Probably won't be the same thing but took me a super long time to self-realise a kind of complex to even be able to flirt because certain feelings might have happened with not only females but with males. In my case made me feel really confused to I think process things like attraction, and if there might have ever been the case that I would never be able to recognise it. I was certain that I would tell myself something like I am not gay though, so the general feeling thing is wrong, and would get hung up in certain ideas of things are supposed to be. I have been trying to deprogram myself, and if gosh darn how cute this episode was of a guy with a wholesome crush and a guy who will likely be revealed not understanding his sexuality, isn't delicious medicine.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:37 am Reply with quote
I mostly like this so far, but holy cow, it's crawling at a snail's pace. Long, silent shots of faces, and everyone even moves slowly, like they're all walking on a ledge of eggshells. I don't think I've ever seen anything done quite like this, where I feel like I want to speed up the playback to achieve a more lifelike feel. Do they not have enough material for a whole season and this is their version of padding?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Do they not have enough material for a whole season and this is their version of padding?

Eleven volumes of manga exist, if I'm remembering my numbers correctly, although all of them are around 120 pages long with short little chapters. Still, I don't think that's what's going on - more likely they're trying to capture the laid-back pace of the story, which almost always works better in print than in motion.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Gosh darn so cute. I don't think it is going too slowly in the episode, in general I do see it as him trying to figure himself out between actions that he acts out of reflex. He is like just figuring out that he actually is attracted to him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:58 am Reply with quote
I'm not objecting to them taking things slowly while he works things out. I mean it feels like the presentation itself, images, dialog, silent pauses, static holds, movement, is like they made 15 min of episode and slowed down the playback to stretch it to 20. It's weird. Or maybe it's just me. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:23 pm Reply with quote

Hold up, did Kurosawa just admit to being a 30 year old virgin? So when do his wizard powers kick in? Or did he sleep with the girls he dated but was never in love with? His reaction to the sexual harassment of the CEO didn't seem like it was just the liquor making him ill.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:35 am Reply with quote
Everything about how it was shot with the woman trying to get him drunk had that icky feeling that he absolutely has no attraction there, because he is gay. And then it was like afterwards he had his gay awakening.

Characters only becoming aware later of the sexuality is fine, but I think a bit of a disservice as the only kind, or just doing the person they fell in love with happened to be the same gender.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1