• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Changes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:44 pm Reply with quote
wow...I'm surprised...I really didn't think Wolf's Rain would be on AS...and def. not so soon...
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I doubt that SVES will be cancelled. It's new time will probably be from 7-11 p.m. Also, AS will be 6 nights a week.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah (although I was just hopin' satuday be the all anime block again, oh well)

Now about the shows:
Animatrix - I see no point in it but being that it's a Warner OVA Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop ...
Conan - Glad to see it. My only worries are that since it is L/FUNi ( that's Licensed by FUNImation) we'll have to watch 20-something episodes, then break, then 30some eps (you get the pattern) and the edits may be major (DB/Blue Gender)
Wolf's Rain's a plus
and
Inuyasha is a definite must.

Anyway I hope AS does a good job with these shows
Mischif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:56 pm Reply with quote
:: SHOCK! ::
I'm a long time fan of Detective Conan, and I'm kinda excited kinda leery of them showing Detective Conan on Cartoon Network.
Kind of a 'there goes the neighbourhood' and 'yay, fresh blood!' type of thing.
But it'll be interesting to see how it'll go... Conan's in practically every other language you can think of other than English.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Vigilante024 wrote:
wow...I'm surprised...I really didn't think Wolf's Rain would be on AS...and def. not so soon...

Well, that's what Cartoon Network said.

But then, they said we'd see Ghost in the Shell back in October 2002.
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I really hope that they don't remove Rurouni Kenshin from the SVES block.

Last edited by Proman on Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
arxane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:18 pm Reply with quote
KURIous wrote:
Conan - Glad to see it. My only worries are that since it is L/FUNi ( that's Licensed by FUNImation) we'll have to watch 20-something episodes, then break, then 30some eps (you get the pattern) and the edits may be major (DB/Blue Gender)

The "Blue Gender" editing fiasco was apparently caused due to a miscommunication between Funi and Williams Street. I think they've both learned their lesson and will edit "Detective Conan" properly. I'm personally looking forward to "Conan", since I've heard quite a bit about it.

"The Matrix" property may be dead, but CN made a good move getting the "Animatrix". It'll give some name recognition to the block.

Glad to see "Wolf's Rain" was confirmed. Now I'll see for myself whether this series is good or not.

And more episodes of "Inuyasha". That should quell the wrath of the spawn of Satan (aka Inuyasha fans).
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Oops. Embarassed Forgot this thread was here. I put this in the anime section:

From Adult Swim's boards:

SwimBuddha wrote:
If you tuned in on Sunday night, a lot of this is old news to you. But for those who did not, here's a rundown of the biggest news items that were announced that night.

ACTION
Action Saturday begins Saturday, April 17, kicking off with the television premiere of Animatrix.

InuYasha will begin a double strip of premieres on Saturday, April 24, at 11:30 p.m. (e/p)

Wolf's Rain will premiere on Adult Swim beginning Saturday, April 24, at 11 p.m. (e/p)

Adult Swim has acquired 50 episodes of Detective Conan, and the first 26 will begin premiering in a weeknight strip at 12:30 a.m. (e/p) on Monday, April 5.

Also some news concerning the Comedy shows, and the weeknight action cut by half an hour:

Quote:
COMEDY
On Sunday, Feb. 15, Adult Swim will present a marathon of the Space Ghost Coast to Coast episodes that couldn't appear on the season one DVD set.

Adult Swim will double strip Aqua Teen beginning Monday, April 19, at midnight (e/p).

Two premieres of Aqua Teen will lead into the strip, on Sunday, April 25, and Thursday, May 6, at 11:45 p.m. (e/p)
herbkir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Inuyasha will be gone from weeknights, displaced by Det. Conan, and will have 2 brand new episodes every Saturday night, taking the entire run of 2004 new Inu to Oct. 16. Wolf's Rain will be Saturday only series at one ep. per week, which also would run out Oct. 16. Rest of Sat. schedule will be backfilled with maybe some of the SVES anime?

Comedy expands on weeknights by a half hour, and there's new emphasis on ATHF.

I hope Conan is a success for them. They only bought 50 episodes out of the 350+ of this series. I guess they want to see how well received it is before committing to the entire thing. (^_*)
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
I really hope that they don't remove Rurouni Kenshin from the SVES block.

Post-Kyoto garbage + butchery = you won't miss a thing if they do. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:18 am Reply with quote
KURIous wrote:

Hmm, Inu Yasha followed that same formula. Everything you just said goes for all long running shows, not just the ones done by FUNi. Wink

Anyway, I'm surprised they're doing Conan so late, it's the most kid friendly show on AS, you'd think they'd want it at 11pm when kids are likely still watching. Also in showing Animatrix they're basicly conferming that they'll be using Saturday to show movies. They're not breaking it up into episodes are they?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:31 am Reply with quote
It's likely that Saturday will be used for special presentations (including movies) and short series (a la FLCL), while Inu-Yasha, Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop (shows of noteworthy length, in other words) stay in the week-long run.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:29 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Anyway, I'm surprised they're doing Conan so late, it's the most kid friendly show on AS, you'd think they'd want it at 11pm when kids are likely still watching. Also in showing Animatrix they're basicly conferming that they'll be using Saturday to show movies. They're not breaking it up into episodes are they?

Emerje

Comedy ratings > anime ratings

And it doesn't really matter much anyway because after Witch Hunter Robin's initial run, the weeknight action schedule will begin at 12:30 instead of midnight.
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:30 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Anyway, I'm surprised they're doing Conan so late, it's the most kid friendly show on AS, you'd think they'd want it at 11pm when kids are likely still watching.

A quote from an Ask John question:

"As far as I'm aware, Pioneer has never been attached to Detective Conan. Fox Television originally announced plans to bring the series to America but later changed their mind because the show is simply too violent for American television, and editing it wouldn't leave enough footage intact to make up necessary episode running time. For a children's program, Detective Conan includes some pretty intense, graphic violence, such as bloody stabbings, decapitations, shootings and various other examples of brutal and vicious homicide. Later episodes in the ongoing series have an even darker and more sinister atmosphere than the early episodes, including scenes such as one of villains torturing a helpless woman by shooting her repeatedly in non-vital areas, expecting her to slowly bleed to death. Some will argue that Dragonball Z is very violent for a children's program, but flying superhumans throwing "laser beams" and beating each other up is still more acceptable in a "cartoon" for American television broadcast than a "cartoon" that includes an episode about a pre-teen girl who gets locked in the trunk of a car with a severed human head."

Based on this description, I think "Inuyasha" is a little more "kid-friendly", because at least in "Inuyasha" the violence is toned down and is more fantasy in nature (for example, demons being torn apart are a little more acceptable than, say, a human being being decapitated).

Of course, I've never actually seen the show ("Conan", that is). Anyone care to enlighten me? Confused
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I, personally am ECSTATIC about the new eps of Inuyasha. And yes this SHOULD keep us "Spawns of the Devil" quiet for the time being. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3