• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaiba (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Kaiba is a new TV series from Masaaki Yuasa, the visionary behind Mind Game and Kemonozume. Its first episode aired about a week ago on WOWOW, in Ghost Hound's old time slot, and while subs aren't out yet (they're on their way, according to the fansub group) I thought it might be interesting to collect people's first impressions on the mood, tone, and art style.

Here's a short trailer.

Here's the opening sequence.

The animation I've seen so far looks lovely and the retro character designs are interesting, really different from Yuasa's old stuff (unless you count the "Time Boy" character from Mind Game, I suppose Wink). Animation production by Madhouse. Words really can't describe my feelings while watching that opening sequence; it's just so gorgeous. Here's a write-up on episode 1 by Ben Ettinger over at Anipages.

The voice cast is pretty impressive and includes one of my all-time favorites:

Kaiba: Houko Kuwashima
Neiro: Mamiko Noto
Popo: Romi Paku

I plan on posting more thoughts about the series content as soon as subs are available. This is a title I'm looking forward to, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I watched episode one raw and really digged the retro style. Have yet to see Mind Game or Kemonozume (please don't shoot me), but this series definitely looks like it will be worth my while. I also think the OP is one of the best this season.

I hope Kaiba gets subbed soon and that a lot of people decide to check it out. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I've been thinking about trying this once the subs come out. The retro animation is quite charming, and I really like the OP.

And Paku Romi FTW!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I knew you would be posting about this Cloe. I can't wait for subs to come out. Man, that opening sequence is just...hypnotic. Once I heard Yuasa had a new series, I instantly thought it's most likely gonna be the most unique series this season.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Mind Game blew my mind into pieces like cannon fodder. Can i expect this show to do the same? Maybe not and since I never saw Kemonozume I probably don't have a very good idea what kind of director Masaaki Yuasa is. Actually, had I never heard that this show was from the same director as Mind Game, I would've never given it a second glance, but now I'm interested with it's retro art style enough to check out the first episode if it gets subbed.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Have yet to see Mind Game or Kemonozume

I haven't seen those two titles either, but I've heard great things about both.

I'm really interested in this series. The art style is quite refreshing. I also expect this series to be very unique, if what I've heard about MG and Kemonozume is any indication.

EDIT: My, my. The OP is quite lovely indeed. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Best intro song of the season easily.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:

I'd still take Soul Eater's theme over Kaiba's. Kaiba's is still great though. Certainly one of the best this season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
Mind Game blew my mind into pieces like cannon fodder. Can i expect this show to do the same?

It may or may not. Mind Game is an unquestionable masterpiece, and one of the most important works of animation to come out... probably ever. Kemonozume was a fun little show with an absolutely incredible sense of style (and auteurism, as episodes 7 and 12 were animated entirely by one person and episode 9, I think it was, was created entirely by women), but didn't really have the same kinetic magic that Mind Game had. Yuasa fans always trust him to visually give us something we've never seen before, though, and I believe Kaiba will definitely deliver in that aspect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Westlo wrote:

I'd still take Soul Eater's theme over Kaiba's. Kaiba's is still great though. Certainly one of the best this season.

Soul Eaters theme should've been the OP for Code Geass R2.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
This one you could probably say was on my maybe list for a while after first hearing about it, even with everyone telling me to make it a must see and whatnot. But man, after seeing both the trailer and the OP, how could I possibly say no?

I've kind of caught a lucky break here with this, Real Drive, and Library War not being subbed yet (which I feel really guilty for btw Sad ) to check out other series I was hoping to see as well, but there's no question all 3 are musts along with Macross and Soul Eater. And Kure-nai. And Nabari no ou. Not to mention continuation of Naruto and Bleach..... GAH!! OVERLOAD! OVERLOAD! Anime dazed Anime dazed Anime dazed *flatline*
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the picture for this I assumed it was based off of something by Tezuka. I found out later it wasn't, but the art style really reminds me of his.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
HMMcKamikaze wrote:
When I first saw the picture for this I assumed it was based off of something by Tezuka. I found out later it wasn't, but the art style really reminds me of his.

The character designer is a very talented animator named Nobutaka Ito, who's worked closely with Yuasa for a number of years and has an incredibly versatile style. I love how the characters are so influenced by classic anime and yet retain a sense of modernity, which especially becomes apparent in the movement and energy in the animation itself. Every time I begin to get burned out on the medium, something like this comes along, something new and interesting and unexpected, and sparks my interest again.

Interestingly, there are a number of veteran Shin-ei animators in addition to the Madhouse staff working on this show, most likely people Yuasa knew in his early animation career while working on Shin-chan, who I imagine feel incredibly comfortable working in this neo-retro style.
skyfishing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
ok i know first impressions are usually wrong but on the trailer posted above it felt llike i was watching a boy escaping from giant sperm and then falling over and over on a train. then to top it off the trailer ended with a man smiling over a unconsious girl lying on a table....

i dont know if i would be into that style of animation but i haven't seen any of the other titles mentioned above so i guess i will start researching a little...
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm in love with the opening theme. I can't remember the last time I saw one that visually evocative and fitting to the music... I guess Kemonozume?

Damn, Yuasa has the creative anime industry by the balls.

After seeing talk about Real Drive and Allison and Lillia starting to be mishandled, this is the only show from the spring season I'm looking forward to -- in this case, looking forward to a hell of a lot. Premise seems to be a weird combination of Eternal Sunsine of the Spotless Mind, Tezuka and acid.

And going off-topic a bit: Cloe, did you ever watch Mononoke from last year? I touted it a while ago as being one of the most stunning things I've ever seen; if not for the slight misstep at the end, it probably would've ended up as my all-time favorite anime. Ben from AniPages has a fantastic write-up covering up to the end of the fourth arc.

If you haven't seen it yet, Cloe, you are doing yourself a serious disservice. I think you can promote Yuasa's mad-cap genius while I remain the Nakamura fanboy on these boards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9