• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jump Sq. Manga Reports on Dragonball Film's Production

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:40 am Reply with quote
Kinda hoping for scanned pics, but it doesn't sound like anything new. I don't get FOX. The series is still popular in Japan, but it's the American market which will determine whether the movie's a success. [Assuming the dollar is still worth something by next year, of course...] So shouldn't they be trying to promote it more here instead of being so secretive about it?
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:33 am Reply with quote
Well, Dragonball is something of a cultural juggernaut in Japan. Just look at how well the DVDs perform in the weekly charts! It's like how the excitement builds over a movie based on an American superhero with all sorts of background info and behind-the-scenes shots.

I'm sure that as it gets closer to the American release date, we'll start seeing ads and promos galore in the States.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Kinda hoping for scanned pics, but it doesn't sound like anything new. I don't get FOX. The series is still popular in Japan, but it's the American market which will determine whether the movie's a success. [Assuming the dollar is still worth something by next year, of course...] So shouldn't they be trying to promote it more here instead of being so secretive about it?

American manga/anime fans are often somewhat jerks about this stuff. They might be first in line to see Ironman, but don't you even talk about live action versions of anime. Look at the overall reaction here to the movie so far. So many people already seem to have made up their minds it's going to reek.
Speed Racer was actually an excellent movie. I enjoyed Indy-one could tell it wasn made by pros who knew what they were doing & they delivered pretty much what we paid for. Nothing outside of it. It was like going to a restaurant where one know the food is supurb & getting what one expects, but no surprise. That was Indy. I saw Speed Racer after Indy & it was more fun than Indy. I actually teared up at the ending & hated them for manipulating me into that reaction (It's just a stupid movie, damn it. Come on, like Speed would actually not save the day/win/whatever so I knew how it would end, but still...BOTH times I saw it.)
But look how anime fans greeted Speed Racer. At least on forums I saw one side knocking the film & swearing they'd never go see it & on the other side people who went saying they had no expectations & had a real good time.
I remember a lot of flack prior to Transformers. A handful seemed to be drooling over the movie, but look at how many predicted it was going to fail.

I really don't blame Fox for keeping a tight lid on the film.
COnsidering the weak dollar & the popularity of the title around the world, I'm thinking if it can kill at the world box office level & come in cheap enough budget-wise the American take won't matter all that much on whether a sequel is made.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
Yueh:
Quote:
American manga/anime fans are often somewhat jerks about this stuff. They might be first in line to see Ironman, but don't you even talk about live action versions of anime. Look at the overall reaction here to the movie so far. So many people already seem to have made up their minds it's going to reek.

Well, we thought Fantastic Four was gonna reek, too, but FOX didn't hide it from us as long as they have DB.

Quote:
Speed Racer was actually an excellent movie.

No, it wasn't, but even if you were right, it shouldn't have to be something you have to be familiar with the anime to enjoy.

Quote:
I enjoyed Indy-one could tell it wasn made by pros who knew what they were doing & they delivered pretty much what we paid for.

No, they didn't deliver, but even if they did, it wouldn't have seemed very relevant, considering the recent wannabes, and the length of time it took for them to get it off the ground.

Quote:
But look how anime fans greeted Speed Racer. At least on forums I saw one side knocking the film & swearing they'd never go see it & on the other side people who went saying they had no expectations & had a real good time.

That's because the anime fans who hated it wanted to be entertained, while the anime fans who liked it also think Evangelion is the bee's knees.

Quote:
I remember a lot of flack prior to Transformers. A handful seemed to be drooling over the movie, but look at how many predicted it was going to fail.

It did fail, though. It failed to be a good movie. It also managed to fail the American educational system at the same time. Laughing

Quote:
COnsidering the weak dollar & the popularity of the title around the world, I'm thinking if it can kill at the world box office level & come in cheap enough budget-wise the American take won't matter all that much on whether a sequel is made.

World-wide, DB's really only big in Asia. The Europeans only watch this stuff, if there's no soccer on tv; and everyone else tends to go for more local fare. And if the movie just ends up looking like Storm Riders with white people and Sci-Fi Channel-style CG, it's still gonna bomb.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:

It did fail, though. It failed to be a good movie.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/transformers

Quote:
It also managed to fail the American educational system at the same time. Laughing

If it "failed the American educational system," does that mean the original animated series also "failed the American educational system"? Try watching it again as an adult. Wink

Quote:
World-wide, DB's really only big in Asia.

Yeah, it's "only" big in the biggest, most populous continent in the entire world. "Only." Wink

Quote:
The Europeans only watch this stuff, if there's no soccer on tv; and everyone else tends to go for more local fare.

Uh, isn't that true about anything that isn't soccer? Wink
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Speed Racer was actually an excellent movie. I enjoyed Indy-one could tell it wasn made by pros who knew what they were doing & they delivered pretty much what we paid for. Nothing outside of it. It was like going to a restaurant where one know the food is supurb & getting what one expects, but no surprise. That was Indy. I saw Speed Racer after Indy & it was more fun than Indy. I actually teared up at the ending & hated them for manipulating me into that reaction (It's just a stupid movie, damn it. Come on, like Speed would actually not save the day/win/whatever so I knew how it would end, but still...BOTH times I saw it.)

PLANT!!!!
By the way, I'm a huge Transformers fan and I HATED the movie. Indy was mediocre, at best, but the best movies I've seen so far, this year were, Rambo, Iron Man and Kung Fu Panda.
Dragon Ball the live action crap fest is being bashed because it looks like a love child of the Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter movies. Also, the articles with the the actors, who are horribly cast by the way, doesn't help any expectations for this "movie".
In my opinion, Fox acquired Dragon Ball to kill the franchise. This is common practice in the industry cos it is used to help jump start a future product of their's. Fax's Dragon Ball is gonna suck... probably more than Leonardo's Akira.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
Speed Racer was actually an excellent movie.

No, it wasn't, but even if you were right, it shouldn't have to be something you have to be familiar with the anime to enjoy.

opinions are opinions, just because you post a link of someone that raves that the movie "sucks" doesn't mean you're right.

So would you quit trying to prove other people wrong just because they like it and you don't? It's getting more than just annoying.

._. wtf, really.

Either way... I find it rather funny of the assumption that Fox is attempting to KILL DB franchise. The easier thing is not to invest millions of dollars into the movie. It's not going to die because of one friggin movie.

x_x I need some Zac in this thread. He always cheers me up when I'm down.

*rolls away before she goes further off topic.*

EDIT -

I found something...if it hasn't been posted already.
Clickie.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Good is overrated. There are many "good" movies that people don't bother to watch. Give me entertaining instead. Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:

Critics don't make a movie good any more than the box office.

Quote:
If it "failed the American educational system," does that mean the original animated series also "failed the American educational system"? Try watching it again as an adult.

I'll admit that the cartoon wasn't rocket science, but it didn't lower my IQ like the movie.

Quote:
Yeah, it's "only" big in the biggest, most populous continent in the entire world. "Only."

Asia might be a big continent, but you can't get more than $40-$60 million max gross out of it, unless they really like seeing it more than once. And that's not gonna happen with DB, since Chow Yun Fat is only playing a supporting role.

syko: Haven't seen 'Panda, but I wanted to, now that I know it's not just a live-action Paws of Fury.

tyger:
Quote:
opinions are opinions, just because you post a link of someone that raves that the movie "sucks" doesn't mean you're right.

Whether or not I'm right [And I'll be honest enough to say it's my review.] isn't the point. The point is that it didn't give people what they wanted, and that's really why it's "bad".

Quote:
Either way... I find it rather funny of the assumption that Fox is attempting to KILL DB franchise. The easier thing is not to invest millions of dollars into the movie. It's not going to die because of one friggin movie.

I agree. FOX wouldn't screw over a potential franchise, just because Eragon wasn't the next LOTR. I think that the problem with the studio is that Brett Ratner is probably the only anime fan at FOX. [*cough* X Men 3 Magneto bridge scene swipes from Akira *cough*] Of course, WB has more anime fans in the industry, but they take it too seriously. So I guess they just need someone who "gets" the genre, and who can appreciate it, but who won't cut corners and/or try to top the source material.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Whether or not I'm right [And I'll be honest enough to say it's my review.] isn't the point. The point is that it didn't give people what they wanted, and that's really why it's "bad".

- Sorry, link didn't work for me.

- I'm sorry, but it is the point.I understand what you're saying to an extent, but whenever someone said that the movie was good, you immediately jump in on their opinion. I felt that did give some people what they wanted [ I enjoyed it with little or no complaint]. Your review is your review. And you dismissed testorschoice post once he put up a link on a critic review (on another movie).

It's on an individual basis, I've seen a lot of comments of people enjoying it as well as other people who didn't. But you're always trying so hard to prove otherwise, or you wouldn't have given us said links to go further. That is what I mean.

I dunno, I've kind of seen you do it frequently. it's like a pattern you have or something.

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
tyger: Fine. Point taken. I just think people are defending it solely because of its visual aesthetic, rather than its direction. It's like Advent Children all over again.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
o_o hmm...

I watched Advent Children once. Got the DVD for $5.

xD Didn't get the movie, it was "pretty" and all, but...I never played the game, I liked 8 better, I guess...

As for Dragon Ball, yes, people are worried about the visual asthetics. As much as people are defending it to wait to "See how good it looks" before you judge it, there are an equal amount of people complaining that it will suck because the "cast don't look exactly like the ones in the anime/manga."

It's a double-edge sword, don't you think? No one has really focused on the storyline so far as much as face value first. Though I could've sworn that regardless of some things changing (which almost ALWAYS happens in a LA adaption, Japanese or otherwise), it still is supposed to be as close to the original storyline as possible.

And I mean elements in the storyline, or critical points in the series.
trandraskell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Actually Transformers did not fail it was the highest grossing film of 2007, I am a huge transformers fan and I admit that I thought I was going to have alot of issue but the point of the movie was to make a series that was a niche title from kids growing up to appeal to the general masses. I loved the movie(yes the were a hell of alot of plot holes but I enjoyed it because i get to see big robots kicking ass.) Problem with movies like speed racer,astro boy, ghost in the shell, akira,dragon ballz is that you will not be able to please everyone. but if you can bring a series and adapt to a movie that everyone will enjoy. I say good luck, i am waiting on my judgement on dragonball until i see the movie. I not a big fan of the anime. so I dont have something really to base the movie on.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:

Critics don't make a movie good any more than the box office.

So it was a financial success, a popular success, and a decent critical success, but it failed...because Gatsu said so. Wink

Quote:
Quote:
If it "failed the American educational system," does that mean the original animated series also "failed the American educational system"? Try watching it again as an adult.

I'll admit that the cartoon wasn't rocket science, but it didn't lower my IQ like the movie.

If your IQ was in danger of being dropped by a movie, you're blaming the wrong object. Wink Please specify what element of the movie is "IQ-lowering" but somehow the cartoon was not equally "IQ-lowering." We can even ignore this cartoon episode if you like

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/B.O.T.

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, it's "only" big in the biggest, most populous continent in the entire world. "Only."

Asia might be a big continent, but you can't get more than $40-$60 million max gross out of it, unless they really like seeing it more than once. And that's not gonna happen with DB, since Chow Yun Fat is only playing a supporting role.

The nice thing is, Dragonball doesn't need more than that to be considered a finanicial success because it isn't operating on a huge budget like other Hollywood action movies.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
So it was a financial success, a popular success, and a decent critical success, but it failed...because Gatsu said so.

A critical success would imply that it had a huge chunk of support, rather than just a majority. And films which are financially successful aren't necessarily popular as much as successful at attracting people. How many people still like Titanic, after all?

Quote:
Please specify what element of the movie is "IQ-lowering" but somehow the cartoon was not equally "IQ-lowering." We can even ignore this cartoon episode if you like

I dunno, the idiot hacker; the robots peeing; the over-sized ore which didn't actually do anything. Take your pick.

Quote:
The nice thing is, Dragonball doesn't need more than that to be considered a finanicial success because it isn't operating on a huge budget like other Hollywood action movies.

A lack of stars does not necessarily mean a small budget. Look at Fantastic Four.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4