• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Del Rey Manga [2008-06-23]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Del Ray is definitely taking the correct approach to translating what might otherwise be a difficult translation in Zetsubo Sensei. In my opinion, attempting to find amercian analogs to asian/japanese puns/jokes/innuendo usually results in a major failure. It's better to provide explanation. In fact, experience seems to suggest that readers of manga are interested in asian culture, japanese especially, and will be more interested in explanation of the japanese jokes and puns.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I have to say this about Del Rey: They certainly try to pick out the titles that they think will do the best and be the best for their company. That probably comes from being a book publisher first and foremost. That and they don't grab up the liscense for any piece of crap that comes in their view. **kofftokyopopkoff**
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Hooray for Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei =D
I'm looking forward to that release very much.

Del Rey's my favorite for the quality of their releases, and the superior explanations in the back of the manga and translation =3
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't Gakuen Heaven released by BLU/Tokyopop?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Wasn't Gakuen Heaven released by BLU/Tokyopop?

It was released by BLU but I'm wondering if they are talking about the other variations where Kieta ends up with another character.

Edited for spelling errors

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
abstract-alchemist wrote:
In my opinion, attempting to find amercian analogs to asian/japanese puns/jokes/innuendo usually results in a major failure.

I've actually seen some very good work done in coming up with English puns that work in the situation. In particular, I thought Viz did a good job with this in Fushigi Yuugi.

However, I think in Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei's case, explaining is probably the best route given, because of the tone of the series. But occasional puns can be handled quite well without needing to explain them, and in many cases I think it's funny because an adapted pun will have the same effect that the original Japanese one did.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
That Kitty Pryde thing sounds like it could be pretty kick-ass.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fairy Tail, of which three volumes have now been published, has become their most succssful launch title ever.

Really? Wow, this is great to hear. I'm honestly surprised as I didn't expect it to be such a hit, although I loved the first volume myself. Smile

Quote:
The Phoenix Wright manga is now on track forn October 2008 release. [...] In Middaugh's words, adding this extra layer of bureaucracy actually increases the work of actually publishing Phoenix Wright's English translation by three to four times.

Zomg, fangirl moment. Anime hyper I can't wait for the release and am glad to hear that it's coming along. The license was announced... eh, I don't remember when, but it's been a while and I've been waiting for information for a while now.

I love Del Rey.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
I read western comics for years before I ever discovered anime and manga, with X-Men being one of my favorites. I definitely think I will want to check these out as they just happened to pick two of my favorite X-Men in Wolverine and Kitty Pryde!
Highway Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Where's my Me and the Devil Blues goddamit!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
That's cool that they're accepting unsolicited submissions. That's just amazing for people trying to break into the industry! All the other companies are just interested in people already in the industry. Except tokyopop, who accepts any sucker who has a pen and scanner.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1