• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2008 - Keynote Address: Gen Fukunaga, CEO, Funimation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Well played Funimation. Well played.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For anime that Geneon dropped in mid-release, Funimation will go ahead with more individual volumes before any season box sets are looked at.

Thank You! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Bravo Funimation.

You are playing your cards right so far, keep it up and it won't be long before you're sitting on top.
RX78-2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
Haha! I knew it was going to happen. I said this on my other posts. So everyone that didn't believe. HAH! Read it and weap it.
Xtyfe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
with this said, i think we can put all this mess behind us
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
And so it is finished... everyone who whined about Funimation redoing dubs for series they just grabbed can eat their words for freaking out less than 48 hours after the initial announcements. And those who were sensible now have the exact details.

So yay, my Higurashi, Kanon and Tokyo Majin boxes will be filled. Thank you Funi, for being you. Smile
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
First off, the idea that sales are leveling or even getting better is great news. Second, Funimation seems to be handling their new titles in a way that will please most, if not all, those looking to complete their collections. Finally, I'm a big fan of Funimation's approach about educating people. Sometimes, simple awareness can do wonders.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
There are some nice things in there about where Funimation is headed, but on a lighter note I enjoyed the article mostly due to Gen Fukunaga keeping a Japanese business leader tradition alive. I don't think I've read one of these 'Corporate Head Speaks..' articles yet without the speaker:

1. Comically exaggerating quality/impact of product:
Quote:

The Japanese market for animated television, in Fukunaga's opinion, is the most competitive in the world, and gives rise to the best and highest-quality works. The reason for this is two-fold. The status of anime in Japan, as a widely accepted accepted form of entertainment and a prestigious segment of the overall media space attracts the best creators, directors, and other staff, the kind of people who, were they working in America, would not even consider animation as a viable career.

(The most competitive market part is probably right, the insinuation that David Chase and Steven Spielberg would be cranking out a new season of Full Metal Panic if only Americans took niche, teen-aimed cartoons more seriously is perhaps a bit more dubious.)

2. Boldly making 'cutting edge' predictions that look a lot like well-worn criticism of the past few years.

Quote:
The fact is, Fukunaga claims, that to date, 95% of anime companies' profits have relied on sales of DVD's, which are now beginning to drop off. For Funimation, then, the future lies in moving beyond DVD, and embracing a "triad" of anime distribution via broadcast and digital, in addition to home-video. "If you do not have these three pillars, you will not be able to compete in today's market," he cautioned.

(Also, VHS looks to have a leg up on Beta.)

Gen Fukunaga's entries don't steal the crown from Kadokawa's Tadashi Fukuda, who somehow managed to compare Google to the 'Black Ships' and anime's current state to the Meiji Restoration, but a good effort nonetheless.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
Xtyfe wrote:
with this said, i think we can put all this mess behind us

I would hardly go that far at all. Following a line of thinking like that would simply overlook the problems that are here and do need to be dealt with. However, things are looking up and companies are seemingly trying to adapt to the times. Funimation seems to be leading the way right now and keeping their heads above water better then the rest. I do sincerely hope things do continue to improve though and that this sudden burst of good news is not short lived. I also must take a moment to bath in my fanboy glee over this little bit of info; One of these, the Witchblade anime series, which was actually not particularly popular in Japan, actually wound up to be the top-selling anime of 2007 in America. As a long time fan of the original comic this little bit of news just makes me smile in joy.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Quote:
For anime that Geneon dropped in mid-release, Funimation will go ahead with more individual volumes before any season box sets are looked at.
Thank You! Very Happy

I'm very disappointed they aren't taking the same approach with ADV Films. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1