• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mach Go Go Go Gets Mach Girl TV Anime Shorts in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Spam removed. -TK]
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
Unusual art direction; reminds me of some current American animation. Does that mean this is a lock for showing on America's Cartoon Network?
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
That three minute clip just screamed thought and images of the classic Hanna-Barbera cartoon "Wacky Races". Or is it just me that thought that?
Tenchi Kaze

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
The secondary characters and vehicles were all suitably silly, and I love the design for that Mach Pink bike. Lip also has a very cute voice, which I like. However... ugh, her character design and personality just make me think of the Bratz. *shudder*
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
This would be cool if Lip has to race in a male-dominated sport, fighting against prejudices and preconceived notions about gender roles (think Danica Patrick).

But I seriously doubt it.
frubam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Japan has a Cartoon Network!?!? BLASPHEMY!!!!
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
frubam wrote:
Japan has a Cartoon Network!?!? BLASPHEMY!!!!

Yes, and along with anime it shows the Japanese dubbed versions of shows like Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. (The dubbing tends to be really spot on, too. I saw Spongebob Squarepants when I was in Japan and was impressed with how all the voices sounded so similar, aside from some character changes.)
Most of it is American cartoons, however.

Just watch the video on this page: http://www.cartoon.co.jp/join/index.html

Their Toonami mixes Superman with Gachaman. They even have their own version of Boomerang, which shows old anime like Princess Knight/Ribon no Kishi and Speed Racer next to some older American shows like Johnny Quest.

Basically, the Japanese Cartoon Network will break the mind of any "anime is not cartoons!" fan considering how mashed up it is. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a John K. parody of Speed Racer. I guess the awful Wachowski movie wasn't enough for Tatsunoko, and they just have to make sure the original show is violated for life. Rolling Eyes
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Unusual art direction; reminds me of some current American animation. Does that mean this is a lock for showing on America's Cartoon Network?

Heh, tell that to PPG Z. Laughing

Ongaku_no_tenshi wrote:
That three minute clip just screamed thought and images of the classic Hanna-Barbera cartoon "Wacky Races". Or is it just me that thought that?

The desert hills remind me of Road Runner.
Wacky Races was crazy popular in Japan. Just look at the Muttley imitators. Laughing
Chiaki777

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO MY CHILDHOOD?

It's all about sex sex and sex now is it?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
Chiaki777 wrote:
WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO MY CHILDHOOD?

It's all about sex sex and sex now is it?

Anime has always been about T&A. Laughing
(Not saying all of it, mind you.)
They've out-Hollywood Hollywood in that respect.
Rustytoons

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm a pretty die-hard fan of the original SPEED RACER,and I really enjoyed that!...I think Lip is adorable,and I liked the visual style! I hope Cartoon Network will pick it up here in the states. It'd be interesting to know if she has any connection to the characters in the original series...a Cousin of Speed's....or...Racer X's Daughter? Laughing ...My first post on ANN,btw...Hi everyone! Very Happy
billyarnie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
Ongaku_no_tenshi wrote:

No, it's not just you. I originally wasn't going to view the short, but reading this thread changed my mind. The designs of the other cars reminded me of that show.

Even though it's a 3-wheel motorcycle, the Mach Pink is something that Pops could have designed for Trixie... if she wanted to race. Lip's no Penelope Pitstop, however. Girly Girl Kawaii Xtreme! Ugh... the sweetness is sickening. I can see how she reminds people of Bratz... BTW, unless the boob close-ups can be edited out, I can't see this dubbed on Cartoon Network USA. But... where will Lip keep her lipstick?! A digital purse, perhaps? Wink

IMO, Powerpuff Girls Z has a better chance of making CN USA than Mach Girl. PPGZ started in CN Philippines (dubbed in English!) & is scheduled for CN Latin America the beginning of August with a Spanish dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1