• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yoko Kanno Makes Voice Cameo in Genius Party Beyond

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musashi1600

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that Juno Reactor actively involved in an anime, although it wouldn't be the first time they've provided music for one.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Yoko Kanno has the cutest voice ever; it's kind of surprising she's never cameoed until now.

A *slight* correction to the article: Yoko Kanno did not compose any music for Mind Game, but she did perform the Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 on piano for this sequence. She also composed music for the Studio 4℃ Koji Morimoto-directed short Magnetic Rose, as well as Morimoto's original Tekkon Kinkreet pilot. Her first collaboration with Koji Morimoto was back during Macross Plus, in which she composed the music to the Sharon Apple concert scene he directed. Smile

Last edited by Cloe on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
eviltimes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Proof positive for all the unbelievers that:

"Ed is a little girl!"

Cool
Saouri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I've read about this new, a few days ago in the blog "A Gabriela Robin site".
Is nice to know that Yoko kanno will bring her voice to a character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Interesting,I always loved her music in Ghost in the Shell,never knew she voiced a character in an anime Very Happy
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Magnetic rose is one of my favorite shorts of all times. I totally blame my love of the animation on the involvement of Kanno in the sound.

I follow Yoko Kanno everywhere she goes. I have watched anime I would have never picked up just to listen to what she has manifested this time.

I don't know who here is familiar with the Pandora online radio program. It predicts music you might like based on what artist you list and what qualities of music you seem to like. I was creating a rock/alternative station for myself and was choosing only american artist to put in it. After a while Pandora thru out "inner Universe" and "rise" two songs I am sure we are all familiar with. Scared the S$#* out of me!
melonbread

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure someone will be doing very techincal voice checks to see if Gabriella Robin really is Yoko Kanno, now.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
I'm sure someone will be doing very techincal voice checks to see if Gabriella Robin really is Yoko Kanno, now.

LOL, now that's comedy! I don't think it is true, but who knows.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:

Nothing technical is needed - it's so obvious from hearing her speak that she really is Robin. Or at least in some songs (Cats on Mars, Icy Mice, Moon, Stamina Rose); for some of the lower vocals (Aqua, Omega Blue, possibly Take a Little Hand) I'm inclined to believe that computer synthesization was involved and/or the vocal is a composite of Kanno and another person.

Anyway, I'm always happy to hear about Kanno doing voice work, as she really does have the cutest little speaking voice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Nothing technical is needed - it's so obvious from hearing her speak that she really is Robin.

I'm inclined to agree. I used to be skeptical until I watched this interview on one of my Cowboy Bebop DVDs a few years back, with "Cats on Mars" playing as BGM. That's totally the same voice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1