• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Posts Free 1st Episodes of 4 Anime on iTunes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killua9101

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
that's really cool of them
thanks funimation!
Starre257

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
It's not working for me... I have an account... I don't know what the problem is.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
This is... great and all but...

Please put some more? I'd kill for episodes of Higurashi on iTunes. ):
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
This is a good start, and I'll take it, since I have started Afro or Basilisk yet. They literally need to this this free episode business with every single show in their catalog however, because nothing convinces people more than a nice ol' free sample, and no matter how many reviews or trailers you put it, it just won't be the same.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
This is about the fifth place Funi is offering these episodes for free. This may be the time to offer them as a download though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
This is about the fifth place Funi is offering these episodes for free. This may be the time to offer them as a download though.

These are downloads off itunes, free ones in a sampler. Good thing they're free, because they're DRM'd and dubbed only, so I'd never actually buy them off iTunes, but maybe if they're interesting enough I'll go check out a DVD or just get some fansubs.
Super_Vegeta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I got the e-mail from funi a few days ago... too bad I couldn't DL the episodes because the offer is only good on the US Itunes store. (Stupid Canada)
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
SoloButterfly wrote:

These are downloads off itunes, free ones in a sampler. Good thing they're free, because they're DRM'd and dubbed only, so I'd never actually buy them off iTunes, but maybe if they're interesting enough I'll go check out a DVD or just get some fansubs.

...What is so bad about this? I see so many people griping about 'ugh, drm'd and dub, fail' or something similar...

If you guys are looking for an alternative to COLLECTING the series, you're kinda SOL. I mean, maybe I just view it this way but it's not that big of a deal. I buy the various TV show episodes I do because I want it for either one time or every so often viewings.

To use iTunes as another way to acquire anime, other than just having some form of a permanent copy of some form, is kinda your own fault if you become disappointed. I mean if in 5-10 years they took away all the episodes of Gurren Lagann I've downloaded, I'm not really gonna miss them that badly. If they didn't refund my money, it'd be a problem, but if I just lost the episodes and got back the credit cause they lost the licensing rights or some crap, I really wouldn't care...

Sorry if I'm jumping to a conclusion, but it's just a view I have. I really, HONESTLY just don't have any problems with the whole system so I fail to understand other people's reasoning.

...The region locking does however, blow big time. Not just for this, but for music. I'd KILL for access to the iTunes store in japan and be able to own a legitimate j-music.

I mean at 10 bucks a pop, a physical copy I'm more likely to lose than a digital AND shipping costs, when I want ONE song, those imports are NOT worth it. That's a real untapped market IMHO, sites like play asia could make a crapton if they started their own music downloading service...

...Forgive me, I went off track. I'll stop talking now. ._.;;
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
This promotion is for our FUNimation email subscribers. They got this email on October 31st. A Trick or Treat promotion we did with iTunes.

If we do this again, the subscribers to our email newsletter are the first to get the code. We only have a finite number of codes. Once they are gone, no more downloads.

A good excuse to subscribe to our email newsletter on FUNimation.com

Lance

Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
SoloButterfly wrote:

Hopefully it'll be the former and not the latter option since downloading the fansubs would defeat the whole purpose of Funimation being kind enough to do this.

"This is... great and all but...

Please put some more? I'd kill for episodes of Higurashi on iTunes. ):"

Well, Kyogissun, even if Funimation wanted to, I don't think they can. Higurashi is licensed by Geneon so I would guess that they get the final say in whether this could happen.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:45 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
SoloButterfly wrote:

Hopefully it'll be the former and not the latter option since downloading the fansubs would defeat the whole purpose of Funimation being kind enough to do this.

Well, Kyogissun, even if Funimation wanted to, I don't think they can. Higurashi is licensed by Geneon so I would guess that they get the final say in whether this could happen.

But Geneon went under and Funimation has distribution rights or whatever, right? So maybe they could talk to whoever is running the production team behind it (Dunno if Geneon was 100% completely desolved but could've sworn it was) and since Funimation's releasing the DVD's, I can't see why they wouldn't be able to handle iTunes releases as well...
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
Has anyone bought any of the full digital downloads from Funimation on iTunes yet? I got the 4 free ones they are giving, and they all have a Funimation logo in the lower right hand corner mucking up the video. Do all of their download versions have that? Do their DVDs have that too? I hope at least ONE of their media types does not have that... I may never buy anything from them if they have that on everything...
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
SoloButterfly wrote:

But Geneon went under and Funimation has distribution rights or whatever, right? So maybe they could talk to whoever is running the production team behind it (Dunno if Geneon was 100% completely desolved but could've sworn it was) and since Funimation's releasing the DVD's, I can't see why they wouldn't be able to handle iTunes releases as well...

Nope. Geneon is still around. Sure they've had to recoil quite a bit, but they still retain all rights to the shows that they have licensed. The DVDs that Funimation distributes for them all still say Geneon and give little, if any, noticeable hint to Funimations involvement. Judging from that I'd say that Geneon retains control over what happens with their products and Funimation just gets a cut of the money, so I'm pretty sure that it's all up to them if their shows appear on iTunes.
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd be more interested if they posted newer series free. Would it really be so bad if they did something like Claymore or Ouran? It's cool that they're doing this, but it's not like most people who're interested in these shows haven't already seen it already ( on dvd ).
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Has anyone bought any of the full digital downloads from Funimation on iTunes yet? I got the 4 free ones they are giving, and they all have a Funimation logo in the lower right hand corner mucking up the video. Do all of their download versions have that? Do their DVDs have that too? I hope at least ONE of their media types does not have that... I may never buy anything from them if they have that on everything...

Can't speak for their downloads, but no FUNi DVD I've ever come across has any sort of logo within the episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1