• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Black Sun GN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I bought this about a month ago and was also very happy with it. I liked it much better than the other of her licensed titles* that I own, Virtuoso di Amore-- the one with the pianists that, although it has similarly lovely art, left me with more than a few "eh!?" moments throughout. I can't disagree with anything Casey wrote about Black Sun though-- the art is gorgeous, and the story entertaining-- so I'll just note that I too was a bit let down only by the fact that the ending makes it obvious that this is volume 1, although there's no volume 2 in sight. I'd be more than happy to wait (and pay) if I knew I was not waiting in vain, so I really would love to see that sequel, 801 Media (hint hint). Either way though, I don't regret buying this one because even left on a cliffhanger it's still one of the better titles I've gotten lately.

*The only reason I don't also own Chronicles of the Divine Sword (v01) is I waited too long and it seems to be out of print...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cait

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I found it interesting when I bought this volume that it had no dust jacket. It was the first 801 title that I'd bought that did not have one.

I liked this one and Virtuoso di Amore, which is nice because I have a hard time latching onto new artists. I tend to have trouble deciding whether I like the artwork enough to actually continue to read the artist's other works (Fumi Yoshinaga comes to mind), even if I know the content is going to be worth the read. In Ogasawara I can have both, it seems.

Do we have any idea if/when we are going to see a localization of a volume 2? Is the ongoing series in Japan past the second volume yet?
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
*The only reason I don't also own Chronicles of the Divine Sword (v01) is I waited too long and it seems to be out of print...

This was a Drama Queen title that never launched before the company went under. Sad really. It is a very good series.

I myself enjoyed this single volume and was rather pleased that it left me wanting more. I am still in need to picking up her mangakas artbook. The colors and tones she uses are insane.
banshee196

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I just finished this manga and really enjoyed it. The panther chapter is priceless! I would also like to know if there's a second volume out there--I took a peek at JPQueen and didn't see anything.
Cait

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
banshee196 wrote:
I just finished this manga and really enjoyed it. The panther chapter is priceless! I would also like to know if there's a second volume out there--I took a peek at JPQueen and didn't see anything.

Checking with Manga Updates didn't come up with any good information. I think the second volume is probably not available yet in tankoban. The series is serializing in Hertz magazine, so if you're really interested in getting raw chapters of this thing, maybe look for it through the magazine (JPQueen doesn't have any issues available at the moment).
DMP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
801 Media has not licensed a second volume, as one has not been published yet in Japan. Black Sun comes from our Taiyoh Tosho partner, so if a tankobon does become available, chances are pretty good that we would license it. The overall sales on Black Sun would determine, also.

It seems like a lot of fans do like the manga though, which is great!
banshee196

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info! I hope Black Sun is selling well.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
DMP wrote:
801 Media has not licensed a second volume, as one has not been published yet in Japan. Black Sun comes from our Taiyoh Tosho partner, so if a tankobon does become available, chances are pretty good that we would license it.
Very cool, and thanks for letting us know that you all are aware & looking out for a volume 2 whenever (if ever) it appears.

geishageek wrote:
Quote:
This was a Drama Queen title that never launched before the company went under. Sad really. It is a very good series.
Ahh, thanks for the clarification. That explains why it sat on order with Amazon for quite a long time until they finally told me they couldn't get it after all. Since it never saw the light of day, I wonder if there's any chance of a rescue on the license.

Edit almost 2-1/2 years later (2011.07.15): Holy s**t, our patience paid off! Here's Black Sun v02 listed on Amazon for a Dec. 2011 release!

Last edited by poonk on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Sadly I think the Drama Queen titles are in limbo, just like the Be Beautiful titles. I am still waiting for the day when I see Embracing Love and Kizuna available to finish. They look so lonely on the unfinished shelf. Confused
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:10 am Reply with quote
Cool spoilers, bro.

Couldn't the author have just left it at "The burgeoning relationship between the two unlikely lovers culminates, not with the happy end readers have come to expect from the BL genre, but rather with quite an ambitious subplot," rather than explaining exactly how it ends?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1