• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kiba DVD Collection 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
At least is potential proof ADV is still releasing dubs. Last year, that de-merger they did with Sojitz really harmed them doing business.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
At least it sounds like I wasn't missing much by not having watched it on Toonami Jetstream. I had meant to when I first heard about it, but then I plain forgot.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
I heard something about this show being comparable to one involving children's card games. Where did that comparison come from? Ah, screw the rules, I have insomnia.
Saiki_Thorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I heard something about this show being comparable to one involving children's card games. Where did that comparison come from? Ah, screw the rules, I have insomnia.

To answer your question, I think the show you are thinking about is Bakugan. I watched a couple episode of Kiba when it first came out. It seemed like it was going to be a generic anime so I passed on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
I watched 10 episodes of Kiba on Jetstream. Initially I was kinda excited for it because it's from Madhouse, but after a while and it was a chore getting through the episodes. Come to think of it, I think the only reason I even got to double-digits is because it was from Madhouse (they're my favorite studio).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed the review and its all true. People might dislike Shonen animes to an extreme level, but Kiba points out why some series work and other don't. It was a interesting series to start with but really lost interest by episode 6 or 7. Even though I downloaded all the fansubs... its just sitting there taking up space right now.

I also vaguely remember this other shonen series done by the guys, or at least the art team, of FMA. Something about Chinese warriors and a Sister liking her Brother. It had all the shonen elements. Young male hero with amazing potential and power. Evil clan/organizing destroying his village and steal something. Boy tries to get it back. Classic friend gets hurt Hero gets mad and powerful moment. Yeah I stopped after episode 2. It never seemed to unfold right and was kind of ackward and forced. Like if it took itself a bit more seriously it might have turned out better.

Despite coming from the man who made one of the classic Shonen series, Buso Renkin also falls into this group as well. But at least Tokiko was a win. Ah bad shonen series. I love the genre but you make me cry. Bleach, Naruto, even you Hitman Reborn. Let us drink to their misfortunes.
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Whatevs. I love Kiba and I'll be picking up the first boxset as soon as possible. Razz
billyarnie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
People might dislike Shonen animes to an extreme level, but Kiba points out why some series work and other don't. It was a interesting series to start with but really lost interest by episode 6 or 7.

I rarely agree with Kimlinger, but I have to on this series. I started watching it on Toonami Jetstream & the 1st 2-3 eps were interesting. One problem was, Jetstream only updated it with a new episode every 2 weeks. I watched the 1st 5 eps, got distracted by other things, and by the time I returned it was too late to pick up with Episode 6. I occasionally returned & next thing I knew, CN killed Toonami Jetstream on 01/30/09 & moved Naruto to CN Video. If ADV Films is planning to put Kiba on www.theanimenetwork.com, they'd better get the site fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

It's actually a card game tie-in, which is probably what you heard. I only saw the first few episodes but I remember being kinda bored. There were some interesting bits, but it didn't feel like it was worth watching. It's just nice to see ADV doing something again, though.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
This show was dubbed by ADV, but it was financed and licensed by Upper Deck. It was planned to be a tie in for a card game that never saw release here. Upper Deck tried for some time to get it on Cartoon Network, but that ultimately didn't pan out.

As for the show, I find it to very similar to shows like Bakugan or Yugioh, though it's a bit darker. There are regularly characters killed, and the show can be much more violent than the other two I mentioned.

It does sadly fall into the many cliches of shonen anime, but I found that it improves some as the show goes on. One interesting twist that I rather enjoyed was the battles themselves. Unliked Bakugan or Yugioh, where the characters stand back and watch their monsters fight, here the characters actually get involved. They two characters will fight as their spirits fight along side them. If the master dies, the spirit dies, though the master can live if his spirit is destroyed. At least these guys put their money where their mouth is.

It's not a great show, but it's not terrible either. I have found it more watchable than the other recent show I bought (Ghost Slayers Ayashi). And the dub is quite solid, with the exception of the actual dialogue. And you can't blame the hokey writing on ADV.

Lastly, the show is playing on Anime Network SVOD now. Whether or not it will show up online or for free in the future is unknown. But their website is in the middle of an upgrade, and has been giltchy during the transition. It was down for quite a while yesterday, but is functioning today.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
the_seventh_l wrote:
Whatevs. I love Kiba and I'll be picking up the first boxset as soon as possible. Razz

Same here.I liked it while it was showing on jetstream.ALso this review is so wrong in some parts. For one is animation is good enough since it was created by madhouse after all and of course whoever that reviewer is,he better not head to japan cause every Nana Mizuki fan would have that person's head on a spike. In my view the musice should get a B- at least.

I agree with the storyline though however it should've been a A- .

Also THE DUB GETS A C?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Sure it ain't perfect but it's decent enough,especially for the younger audience. I give it a B- at the lowest.

It's not bad,but it's a hell of a lot better than those series that got obliterated by 4kids (except for pokemon)

Compared to the horror of the others that fell into 4kids hands,this version is a godsend,and i'm sure everyone agress with me in that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
billyarnie wrote:
TatsuGero23 wrote:
People might dislike Shonen animes to an extreme level, but Kiba points out why some series work and other don't. It was a interesting series to start with but really lost interest by episode 6 or 7.

I rarely agree with Kimlinger, but I have to on this series. I started watching it on Toonami Jetstream & the 1st 2-3 eps were interesting. One problem was, Jetstream only updated it with a new episode every 2 weeks. I watched the 1st 5 eps, got distracted by other things, and by the time I returned it was too late to pick up with Episode 6. I occasionally returned & next thing I knew, CN killed Toonami Jetstream on 01/30/09 & moved Naruto to CN Video. If ADV Films is planning to put Kiba on www.theanimenetwork.com, they'd better get the site fixed.
They have a new site up, and it's working fine.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I just have to wonder, was Kiba worked on BEFORE the Sojitz debacle? I'm going to assume as much because it has a dub AND it was being shown on Jetstream. If that's the case, sorry, dub fans, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high that this means future ADV releases will have an English voice over.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
lol Unit. Your avatar changes all the times. But I do love the current one. Is it weird I only remember Yugioh through the abridged series rather then the actual show?
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I just have to wonder, was Kiba worked on BEFORE the Sojitz debacle? I'm going to assume as much because it has a dub AND it was being shown on Jetstream. If that's the case, sorry, dub fans, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high that this means future ADV releases will have an English voice over.

I wouldn't be so sure.Sure i was disapointed that Clannad is sub only,but i'm preety sure future releases will be in dub.I'm definately looking forward to the second Kiba Collection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1