• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yatterman (live action movie)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Making a live action movie of Yatterman is a lot like making a live-action Scooby Doo (and we all know how that turned out).

I heard those don't actually suck, just the LA Garfield and Chipmunks stuff.

Quote:
Miike, seeming to realize that he's losing us, tosses in a few moments of self-referential humor (I particularly enjoyed the team's dramatic pose on their mobile dog mecha Yatter-wan as it speeds across the ocean... for days) and shock-silliness. It's those little touches that make the film almost worthwhile.

Miike's, unfortunately, not always reliable with narratives. He's more of a character motivation kind of guy than a story motivation kind of guy.

Quote:
The humor is so crude, though (there's a really surprising amount of really obvious phallic symbolism) that I can't imagine most parents would feel too comfortable taking their kids to see it.

Well, they seem to be fine with Cutey Honey, so I guess Yatterman should do alright.
R.G.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
It could have been worse.

It could have been done Robot Chicken style.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The result reminds us of other similarly ambitious projects that have also been unsuccessful: Yatterman is as removed from reality as Speed Racer and as dopey as Cutey Honey, and in live action form both are significant barriers to enjoyment.

Since both Speed Racer and Cutey Honey were unbelievably awesome from beginning to end, I suspect I will enjoy the shit out of Yatterman.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:

Since both Speed Racer and Cutey Honey were unbelievably awesome from beginning to end, I suspect I will enjoy the shit out of Yatterman.

I sort of grudgingly enjoyed Speed Racer (and appreciate it more now that I've got the Bluray version) but Cutey Honey was torture. 2 hours of some chick mugging right into the camera. Yeesh.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I sort of grudgingly enjoyed Speed Racer (and appreciate it more now that I've got the Bluray version) but Cutey Honey was torture. 2 hours of some chick mugging right into the camera. Yeesh.

I'll grant you Speed Racer was significantly better than Cutey Honey, and the lead performance was singularly grating. But I'd also argue that stuff doesn't work in anime either.

I do appreciate the comparisons in the review - it makes it easy to see how my mileage will vary. But it definitely doesn't sound like it lives up to Miike's work on The Great Youkai War.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:03 am Reply with quote
Speed Racer would have been better if it had speed and racing. Razz As for Cutey Honey, I also posted a review.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Making a live action movie of Yatterman is a lot like making a live-action Scooby Doo (and we all know how that turned out).

I heard those don't actually suck,

Yeah, it made a lot of introverts fall in love with Linda Cardellini. Laughing
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:

Scooby Doo without Don Messick's voice just doesn't work for me, animated or live-action. Matthew Lillard as Shaggy was pretty good, though.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:

I actually liked the LA Scooby Doo movies. I especially appreciate the treatment of Scrappy Doo in the first one. LA Garfield wasn't horrible either, just rather.... eh, at least there were cute animals. The LA Chipmukes movie can rot in hell though. It's punishment being mostly for it's terrible music.

I was actually looking forward to seeing LA Yatterman. I probably still will since even if I'm older than 10, I still remember enjoying the series.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
As for Cutey Honey, I also posted a review.

You have the Re:Cutey Honey cast listed there.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
satan: Yeah, that was someone else's lay-out.
Empathy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
I was only going to watch this for Sho, but now I'm mildly interested Smile
nobinobita

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
For anyone that's interested in another take on Miike's Yatterman, here's a good review from twitch:

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/yatterman-review/
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Saw the L.A. screening, and Justin's review seems about right. [I did dig the music numbers, however, but only because they gave me a much-needed break from the slow pacing of the rest of the flick.] Though I'd say Yatterman is like Speed Racer combined with every sentai show ever made topped with a dash of Kick-Ass, while hopped up on 'shrooms. Zebraman's a better homage, and Casshern's the only good LA Tatsunoko film, IMHO. [Plus, it'll help MB out.] I don't think this thing would do that well here on home video, outside of the Miike fanbase, but the audience for it was laughing more than I would've expected, so who knows?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1