• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New York Comic Con - ICv2 Graphic Novel White Paper

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And finally, he pointed to the simple effect that the Twilight series of novels, and the film based on them, had in siphoning off the audience of female readers that could be expected to be manga customers.

Great. Another reason to hate that author. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Naruto in particular is seen more and more as a mass property that has broken out of being thought of as merely a comic or that can be compared meaningfully to other comics. And the general state of the economy will have the effect of accelerating the general pace of change among graphic novel publishers, and make them more open to trying new things.

I tell ya. The live-action Naruto will be next after DB, guaranteed.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:02 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
And finally, he pointed to the simple effect that the Twilight series of novels, and the film based on them, had in siphoning off the audience of female readers that could be expected to be manga customers.

Great. Another reason to hate that author. Rolling Eyes

Why are ya playa hatin'! Laughing

"For mid-size companies, the future may lie in diversification into non-manga lines."

Does that mean more OEL, or does that count as a manga line? Laughing

"And across the universe of North American manga publishers, concentration on the few titles that are still selling well will be crucial."

So much for diversity. Bye bye fringe! Laughing

Anyhow, here are possibly a couple more grammatical errors:

"... on the back list but available...."
".For the first time since ICv2...."
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Is that guy serious? What, does he think that women are unable to read more than one book per year? You know, if Harry Potter and The Princess Diaries didn't make manga sales decrease, I'm really not about to believe that a book like Twlight did unless I see some raw numbers that back that up. Correlation doesn't mean causation.
Cat Megex

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
"For mid-size companies, the future may lie in diversification into non-manga lines."

Does this mean more light novels? *hope*
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Quote:

Is that guy serious? What, does he think that women are unable to read more than one book per year? You know, if Harry Potter and The Princess Diaries didn't make manga sales decrease, I'm really not about to believe that a book like Twlight did unless I see some raw numbers that back that up. Correlation doesn't mean causation.

If that was true Then I've exceeded my expected quota for the year tenfold on school required reading alone Rolling Eyes
And seriously Twilight, Twilight??
caporushes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I think what that actually means is girls who are looking to get their romantic vampire shiny knight fix are going to the Twilight series and spending money on Twilight crap instead of sitting on the floor in Borders cluttering up the aisles. Not that they aren't reading manga at all, just that they'd rather get another "Team Edward" sweater than the three manga volumes that are the price equivalent. Just guessing anyway.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Quote:

lol don't worry the guy is pretty dumb to say that as an excuse because female manga readers buy manga if sales are down its more likely the recession doing the deed because less female manga readers have the money to buy with than some unrelated series of novels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1