• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Negima's 2nd Original Anime DVD Series Reportedly Announced

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dago2682

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:24 am Reply with quote
Exelent news!
Although i would´ve prefered a 3rd series but this is definetly good news.
Hope this DVD sell well so that we Negima! fans can have more Negima! anime.
Shockz0rz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:32 am Reply with quote
Oh hell yes. Best news I've heard in a while. I guess I woulda liked a new TV series, but it's probably better this way--no filler.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:02 am Reply with quote
Frankly, I don't see how four episodes will cover the Magic World arc, which hasn't even finished.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote
F*** YEAH!!!!!!

Negima ODA and Tsubasa ODA!!!!
se37

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote
Lets just hope this time they stick close to the Manga... from what I have seen so far none of the anime series have yet to stay true to the manga (and that's a bad thing with Negima). The first series only seem to touch on it and it felt more like filler for the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
Lets just hope this time they stick close to the Manga... from what I have seen so far none of the anime series have yet to stay true to the manga (and that's a bad thing with Negima). The first series only seem to touch on it and it felt more like filler for the series.

Actually, the Ala Alba OAD (is that the right acronym?) seems to be pretty faithful to the manga, so this should be too.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
This is excellent news. I really enjoyed the first ODA for Negima.
RedHotFunk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
se37 wrote:

Negima! Magister Negi Magi (a la Xebec) strayed far from the original premise of Negima, and Negima!? (a la Shaft) was a complete re-imagining of the Negima Universe and was even furthur spun off.

However, the 2nd Original Anime DVD is in suite of the OADs that were released with the last OADs that were including in the more recent manga releases. The OADs were extremely close to the orignial plot (and they included Kotaro for once Smile). As such, I expect this new batch of OADs to do the same, so expect it to be true to the Negima arc.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't this be the third Negima OVA/OAD series, if the Spring & Summer OVAs were counted as the first?
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
...OAD? Is this what we're calling OVAs now, or what? In all my 20+ years of watching anime this is the first time I've ever seen something called an OAD. xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
...OAD? Is this what we're calling OVAs now, or what? In all my 20+ years of watching anime this is the first time I've ever seen something called an OAD. xD

I've been watch amine for 45+ years and you just have to keep up! ;>) I think Candy Boy and Eve no Jikan were both called OADs.
sirn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
The OAD is coined by Kodansha for their bundling-OVA-with-a-comic project. Both Candy Boy and EVE no Jikan are called ONA (Original Net Animation), not OAD.
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:41 pm Reply with quote
sirn wrote:
The OAD is coined by Kodansha for their bundling-OVA-with-a-comic project. Both Candy Boy and EVE no Jikan are called ONA (Original Net Animation), not OAD.

Sorry, had a senior moment ;>)
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

OAD (Original Anime DVD) is the term they are using primarily for OVAs packaged and tied in with manga. I don't think it's exclusively that. There appears to be an attempt at changing the perception of OVAs by introducing a new term. Marketing geek stuff, and I don't know the reasons why they would want to change it. Putting DVD in the name does put it beyond the old tape days definitively, so it's more precise. Maybe it's just to sound new. Smile

This method of production and packaging seems to really be catching on though. The sales numbers I've seen are impressive. I expect to see a lot more of these (a la xxxHolic/Tsubasa). It's a great way to revive interest in an old anime property for one thing without the risky investment of a complete series, and could even improve chances for a sequel series for those not so old. Not to mention the higher quality due to no broadcast considerations, and I assume the higher budget as traditional with OVAs. Not sure, but I think they end up being cheaper for the consumer as well, since the marketing and distribution is already sunk into the manga economics--I haven't seen one, but I think there's no fancy boxes, meaning no separate shipping or shelf space, as well as separate channel ads, etc. They are still technically defined as "extras" with a manga volume.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I guess the big question now is, "How will this get released in the States?"

Will a similar cross-promotion be tried with what's in print in the R1 market, or will the OVAs be bundled as a single-disc like the last Negima OVAs were?

I don't know the sales figures, but pack-in bundles have been done in the past in the US for some manga series like Real Bout High School and Psychic Academy but these were short series (in both manga and DVD) and I can't imagine that those two shows sold particularly well... They were both products of the short-lived Tokypop DVD label.

How many shows has the the manga/DVD bundle been done with anyway?

Obviously, this is at least the second go-around for Negima DVD/manga cross-promotion bundling and we've seen a similiar deal in the works for the upcoming To-Love Ru OVA series...

Could this tactic also be used to revive interest in older properties, too?

As of yet, I've seen no official announcements for any of the new Shonen Sunday (Shogakukan Home Video) OVAs produced for Ranma 1/2, Dragonball, etc.... A pack-in DVD with a special-edition reprint manga or NEW Dragonball manga (with the new DBZ OVA) might not be a bad thing for those shows, either.

Again, R1 fans must ask -- how are (IF) we going to see these shows over here?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2