• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no-one's talked about the new opening theme, what with all those teasers in it. Or didn't you guys get a new OP this week?
braves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm surprised no-one's talked about the new opening theme, what with all those teasers in it. Or didn't you guys get a new OP this week?

We did, but the events at the end of the episode are much more important right now. ;P My opinion of it is that it's my least favorite of the openings so far. I miss the first one of the first season.

EDIT: And this thread has gotten 50 pages long.... What an achievement. Wink Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
We did, but the events at the end of the episode are much more important right now. ;P

True. But if you examine it closely (and I suggest that you do), you will see one of the reasons we fansub-watchers got so disenchanted with the series in the first place. A stronger Guren, a superior Lancelot, a enhanced Tristan, plus a revised Siegfried. And the new models don't stop there. Honestly, I thought Code Geass was supposed to be more than just one big toy commercial, but you really have to wonder.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
braves wrote:
We did, but the events at the end of the episode are much more important right now. ;P

True. But if you examine it closely (and I suggest that you do), you will see one of the reasons we fansub-watchers got so disenchanted with the series in the first place. A stronger Guren, a superior Lancelot, a enhanced Tristan, plus a revised Siegfried. And the new models don't stop there. Honestly, I thought Code Geass was supposed to be more than just one big toy commercial, but you really have to wonder.

Who really cares? The mechs in this show don't serve much of a purpose beyond overblown set pieces, anyway. And if giving them shiny new upgrades leads to even bigger 'splosions, so much the better. Very Happy
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I wouldn't watch Code Geass and focus so much on the mechas. They aren't really a key aspect. Also, as I said before, I don't really see Code Geass as a mecha series. Just a series that happens to have giant robots in it.

As for the new opening. I don't really like it that much (of course I haven't really liked any of the openings). The one before was ok, but this one is kind of annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, we are speaking about Bandai and Sunrise here. To a certain extent, all their popular mecha shows are also meant to be toy commercials, one way or another. The fact Code Geass R2 originally aired on a prime time slot goes a long way towards explaining it.

That said, dtm42 does have a point, one which BellosTheMighty partially touched upon some time ago, but I would also agree with those who have already replied. Yes, it was a disappointment to see the mostly ground-based mecha superceded by the more mainstream flying models, which also changed the tactical nature of most battles, but the show still isn't really about that.

In fact, I think you could count the number of episodes (or, better yet, the total number of minutes) which actually have any significant amount of mecha action and the result wouldn't really equal the average Gundam. Which also has its downsides, of course, since most of those series also put a lot more thought into the technology involved, even if the visual results aren't too different.

And personally, while most of the mecha showcasing didn't do a thing for me...I still like a couple of the battles in R2, both past and upcoming.

As for the opening...I like it, as opposed to the new ending. Not quite COLORS, but still nice.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
That said, dtm42 does have a point, one which BellosTheMighty partially touched upon some time ago, but I would also agree with those who have already replied. Yes, it was a disappointment to see the mostly ground-based mecha superceded by the more mainstream flying models, which also changed the tactical nature of most battles, but the show still isn't really about that.

Well I think this shift to the flying style of mecha is because new creators are pulling ideas from both super robot shows and real mecha shows. It's a happy medium (if you will). I don't see much of a problem with this new type of mecha though, I actually enjoy it. But "hard" mecha is still around, just look at Flag.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
People keep saying they liked COLORS... I just don't see it, honestly. It was the only OP thus far I couldn't stand. The three that followed were much better, even that one that was only on for the last two episodes of R1.

No comment on the new OP this week. I couldn't see it because I was two rooms away angsting over a toaster that just wouldn't DING! DING ALREADY, DAMMIT! MY ANIME'S ON IN THE OTHER ROOM! I GAVE YOU A FULL COMMERCIAL BREAK CANT YOU GO ANY FASTER ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man: I guess you could also argue that...but while that doesn't really bother me too much, in the long run, it was still something of a shame, because the first season did have more interesting battles overall. A lot of the ones in R2, with a few exceptions, are simply...well, procedural affairs, to put it one way, outside of the shiny new weaponry.

BellosTheMighty wrote:
People keep saying they liked COLORS... I just don't see it, honestly. It was the only OP thus far I couldn't stand. The three that followed were much better, even that one that was only on for the last two episodes of R1.

That's what different tastes are for, I guess. Hitomi no Tsubasa was pretty cool too...if you can look past the recycled animation (or lack thereof). My least favorite opening would probably be O2, R2's first, since I eventually got to like the first season's second (Jinn's) despite some initial resistance. The endings have been more of a mixed bag for me. In any case, I think the BGM more than makes up for it, which is why I'm happy to own the first couple of OSTs.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Mushi-Man: I guess you could also argue that...but while that doesn't really bother me too much, in the long run, it was still something of a shame, because the first season did have more interesting battles overall. A lot of the ones in R2, with a few exceptions, are simply...well, procedural affairs, to put it one way, outside of the shiny new weaponry.

You have a good point there. So far, the battles in R1 were better. But as I said before, I don't watch Code Geass for the mechs. I watch it more for the drama and suspense aspects. I watch Gundam and such for my mecha.
freezespell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:

That's what different tastes are for, I guess. Hitomi no Tsubasa was pretty cool too...if you can look past the recycled animation (or lack thereof). My least favorite opening would probably be O2, R2's first, since I eventually got to like the first season's second (Jinn's) despite some initial resistance. The endings have been more of a mixed bag for me. In any case, I think the BGM more than makes up for it, which is why I'm happy to own the first couple of OSTs.

As far as OPs go, overall, this series had some pretty good ones with one notable exception. The one after COLORS was just downright HORRIBLE! While I'm sure the music itself wasn't really that bad, the vocals in that song just killed it for me. It made what could have been a good OP into a godawful mess. Ditto the last OP in Blood+! As far as O2, for me, it's a little bit of a departure to what I'm used to hearing out of Orange Range, but it's still good. The rest of them are really good, especially Hitomi no Tsubasa. That one's my favorite out of the five OPs in the series. Too bad it's only used in two episodes. Anime cry

About what's going on in the actual series itself, I really can't wait for the fallout of spoiler[Rolo killing Shirley and Orange Boy's alliance with Zero.] I bet Lelouch spoiler[will go apeshit on Rolo's ass!] [/spoiler]
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
[quote]Honestly, I thought Code Geass was supposed to be more than just one big toy commercial, but you really have to wonder./quote]

Yeah, makes you wonder who in their right mind would think that. . .

Wink

I have no problem with them making new mechs, although I do dislike when they're used as deus ex machina, using an as-yet unhinted at new ability to get out of a "no win" scenario, rather than using an actual clever tactic.
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:24 am Reply with quote
Whew! That was a busy episode! Lots of information to digest. Well it only took Lelouch about 30 seconds to find out who spoiler[killed Shirley] His reaction took be by surprise at first, but then I realized that it was exactly how Zero would react. Seeing spoiler[Shirley lying there and then the subsequent funeral scenes ] made me really sad all over again.

Suzaku is turning into a real...
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
The new episode was pretty good. I think allot of interesting things happened spoiler[the attack on the Geass Order, the new hatred for Rolo that Lelouch has developed, ext.]. But one of the big things that is starting to get to me is that spoiler[Suzaku is blaming everything that happens on Lelouch.] He's becoming more and more annoying every episode. Also, could some on explain to me spoiler[what he was about to do to Kallen.] I didn't catch what he said, but it didn't seem good.

And once again, how long has spoiler[Kallen] been locked up now? You'd think that Lelouch would at least mention it at some point. It seemed like at the time that she was captured, that he was determined to get her back. And now he hasn't even said her name for like 5 episodes now. Just seems weird.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Hey, it's only been four episodes since she was captured.

As for Suzaku, he was going to use Refrain on Kallen. Kallen is petrified by Refrain because it indirectly to blame for her mother serving a twenty-year prison sentence, not to mention becoming mentally ill.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 50 of 60