• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Anime to Air in Japan in July

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Sounds pretty interesting. Nice to see BONES doing something different from their usual.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
New BONES joint, nice. And with that episode director's pedigree, consider me anticipating.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Interesting premise, I must say. I especially like that BONES is giving this series their all in trying to make it as realistic as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Odaiba again? The idea isn't really original, and I bet the TV anime wouldn't address the dark side of humanities after the disaster, such as spoiler[looting, raping, and religious cults getting involved], as well as some overly-dramatic yet actually happened tragedies like spoiler[carrying the corpse of one's spouse over a long distance, as seen in manga and in the 2008 Sichuan earthquake in China]. Personally I'd like to see an OVA adapted from the manga instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting you mentioned that dormcat. The first thing on my mind too was the '08 May 12th earthquake in China. I wonder if that had something to do with the decision to produce this anime.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the famed Tokyo Tower and Rainbow Bridge crumble and fall,

That makes it worth watching, in my opinion!

Anyway, production on this series would have probably started before the Chinese earthquake, unless I am seriously overestimating the time it takes to animate an original series. It may have simply been motivated by the fact that Japan has a lot of earthquakes.

Also, last year, there was a huge earthquake in Iwate Prefecture, whose magnitude was right up their with the Chinese earthquake. It just wasn't a tragedy like the Chinese one because of the strict anti-earthquake building codes that Japan enforces.

EDIT: Thinking more about it, Japan doesn't use the Richter scale, so I actually don't know the real magnitude of the Iwate earthquake. I just know that it was big enough to cause landslides.
Zipper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Odaiba again? The idea isn't really original,

Are you siting this as a negative? Because completely 100% original ideas are hard to come by these days. To me this is just an entry into a genre (disasters). I mean I would rather watch something like this than yet another loli or moe or harem or school kid anime.

Hopefully they do incorporate some of the aspects you mentioned since that would give it a nice gritty feel that something like this needs. I wouldn't write it off immediately.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
........ Razz Yeah! I love Disaster flicks, and now we have an anime! next to rescue wings that is.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
This sounds very, very awesome.

And jeez dormcat, you know a lot.
kureshii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Idea approved.

As always, we now await execution before delivering judgment... I haven't been intrigued by an anime series for a long time. Boring, cliched series or poignant, effective narrative; it could swing either way.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Also, last year, there was a huge earthquake in Iwate Prefecture, whose magnitude was right up their with the Chinese earthquake.

According to USGS, the moment magnitude scale of Sichuan and Iwate earthquakes were 7.9 and 6.9, respectively. That means the former was about 30 times more powerful than the latter. For the record, JMA scale doesn't even have anything above 7.

Zipper wrote:
Hopefully they do incorporate some of the aspects you mentioned since that would give it a nice gritty feel that something like this needs. I wouldn't write it off immediately.

Very unlikely. This will be a TV broadcast, not manga or OVA; TV anime has much lower tolerance levels of sensitive materials, especially when the protagonist is a middle schooler girl.

Josh7289 wrote:
And jeez dormcat, you know a lot.

Nah, I just read too much manga. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
There were disaster movies, and now disaster Anime...
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
now this sounds awesome. l love Bones.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:26 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Odaiba again? The idea isn't really original, and I bet the TV anime wouldn't address the dark side of humanities after the disaster, such as spoiler[looting, raping, and religious cults getting involved], as well as some overly-dramatic yet actually happened tragedies like spoiler[carrying the corpse of one's spouse over a long distance, as seen in manga and in the 2008 Sichuan earthquake in China]. Personally I'd like to see an OVA adapted from the manga instead.

Would have love their to been an adaptation of Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou manga it addresses the things that you mentioned.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=13106
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:04 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Odaiba again? The idea isn't really original,

The same manga (Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou) popped my mind after reading the news. Let's see if the guy in this tv series will be the savior and hero for the woman in distress; you know, in most japanese pop culture, women need the help of a man after all; they can't survive on their own Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2