• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo to Be Delisted from Tokyo Stock Exchange

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
Well this is disappointing. Over the last year they already have done some major trimming, I thought they would at least break even and be able to keep the listing. Keep in mind that this isn't the end of the world for Gonzo, they can still operate fine without being listed. Still, the listing just like any other project can be a cash flow source, so it's one less possible cushion. But this is the time when all companies need to be lean and mean, hopefully they will recover out of this.

I don't know what Japan's bankruptcy laws are like, but if they are anything like the US, then that is also a viable alternative as well. Although I am not sure if only two years of losses really justifies such an action, I am sure that is what the executives are thinking as well. Still if they prepare for it ahead of time, and do it right, they could come out much better for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
Hmmm going to need some investors/capital asap to keep the anime coming. And this isn't looking really good, wonder what the financial situations are with the other anime production companies> (I wonder if they are down this hard to or well down or are they doing okay.)
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I lost all hope for Gonzo after Dragonaut (possibly even before that). Druaga and Blassreiter both were going to turn things around until of course both their endings sucked <_< Gonzo have often produced great stories for their series, but can never seem to end them properly. Therefore, this is not really a big surprise nor am I concerned for them to essentially become "removed" from the anime market. I mean, they're even losing Strike Witches and the rest.
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised at all. I only liked one of there shows they made and i cant even remember what it was. Most of the anime was really not all that good and all they do was just throw money at every project they had and just hoped it would sell. They were pretty popular here in the U.S. since a lot of there shows were able to get on TV here. That was the only smart thing they did. Now if they made better shows that were better then just the first few episodes then maybe they would still be around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
Honestly? Besides Toei (which will never happen) it couln't of happened to nicer people.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
Do these type of threads always have to be a bash the industry/gonzo in this case type threads? The fact that we have a company with a global anime presence that was willing to provide legal streaming of anime directly and make anime that we like and arguably listen to their global fanbase is struggling. So I can understand not liking their shows or their endings but this is not something to jump for joy over.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know just how many production companies in Japan are actually on the Tokyo Stock Exchange? Seems like there would be quite a few that wouldn't qualify if a giant like Gonzo no longer does. If they were an exception then this news might not be so bad.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Does anyone know just how many production companies in Japan are actually on the Tokyo Stock Exchange? Seems like there would be quite a few that wouldn't qualify if a giant like Gonzo no longer does. If they were an exception then this news might not be so bad.

Emerje

They are an exception, actually. Bandai, Toei, and... um... I think that's it for giant companies that are listed. Gonzo was not just an animation studio, it was a producer and distributor and licensor which is why it was so big. The other animation houses like Kyoto Animation, Madhouse, Xebec, etc, basically just do the animation and get hired by the big publicly listed companies.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Since they label animation studios in the Information and Communications sector, it's hard to get a definite list like that. Since there are a lot of companies that fall under that category. Interstingly enough, right now the stock price is up 4.5% or ¥310.

Edit:
can't link to the Tokyo Stock exchange, so I went with Business Weekly instead.
rg4619

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Hmmm going to need some investors/capital asap to keep the anime coming. And this isn't looking really good, wonder what the financial situations are with the other anime production companies> (I wonder if they are down this hard to or well down or are they doing okay.)

Most production companies are at the mercy of firms that commission animation projects. With the recent decrease in the number of series commissioned, I'd expect many studios to struggle. However, I doubt many are in as dire a situation as Gonzo.

GDH was unique in that they:

a) targeted the American market
b) invested much of their own money in anime projects (an attempt to change the studio/production committee relationship)

GDH tried to control their own destiny by developing original IPs and gaining influential positions on the production committees (this would theoretically grant them creative control and a large share of the profits, whereas most production companies make little to no money on the shows they animate). However, the strategy backfired because no one wanted the shows they released.
strahl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
hahaha good april's fools...like thats gonna happen someday Smile
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
rg4619 wrote:
GDH tried to control their own destiny by developing original IPs and gaining influential positions on the production committees (this would theoretically grant them creative control and a large share of the profits, whereas most production companies make little to no money on the shows they animate). However, the strategy backfired because no one wanted the shows they released.

Best assessment of their situation I've seen yet. Thanks for that.

I really, really don't understand the hate directed at Gonzo. Apparently making slick but mostly mediocre anime and having a few of them not end so well makes the irascible internet people want to feast on your corpse. Rolling Eyes

strahl wrote:
hahaha good april's fools...like thats gonna happen someday Smile

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic here, but ANN does not do April Fools Day jokes (though we may report on that of others'). April 1 is also the start of the new fiscal year in Japan, so a lot of big business reorganizations happen around this time.
erilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't like to see the bashing either of a studio when they have tried. I looked at the productions they were involved in (thru ANN) and was surprised that several of them I actually liked. Sure, they had some bad endings, but tell me a studio that has not produced anime with a terrible ending. I feel bad for them and the people who work there. I try and support the industry as much as possible by buying DVD's, manga and more. Sure, I watch the fansubs and read online, but I spend a lot of money of goods since if you don't support, companies are hurt. Hopefully they won't just disappear.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic here, but ANN does not do April Fools Day jokes (though we may report on that of others'). April 1 is also the start of the new fiscal year in Japan, so a lot of big business reorganizations happen around this time.
This does have the unfortunate side effect of making news very hard to parce at this time of year. Hence the confusion over PPG-Z.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
That hurts. And unfortunately since it's not a very good situation for Gonzo they have to go along with it. I can see stockholders trying to sell their shares right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2