• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragonball Evolution Opens at #8 with US$4.8 Million

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
The system works!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't think you have the right gross for Observe and Report, as it's just the same number you have listed for DB:E
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I knew it'd flop! =D Now watch as practically all the other anime film adaptations are gradually unceremoniously canceled. An adaptation of Full Metal Panic when not even Dragon Ball could earn a decent amount on its opening day? Ha!
JackCox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
This proves, Never f*** with the source material.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
(tosses fake arm at a movie screen showing Dragon Ball: Evlolution)

And that's why you don't put Goku in high school...

But serosully, I'm not a fan of Dragon Ball, but I resepct it as the forerunner of today's shoenen series. That movie looks like a pile of steaming crap... if you make an anime movie, try to keep it true to the oringal... otherwise you aliante people.
Isamu*

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Dragonball is bad but I hope the live action movie of Cowboy bebop does well because I need new martial based on the Cowboy bebop manga and anime. Well so far the live action movie of Cowboy Bebop is looking good to me.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone else notice how Anime Fans are becoming more and more like angry Star Wars fans; not happy with anything Star Wars past the 70's?

I fear for the Ghostbusters 3 movie.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so a Graphic Novel adaptation CAN be successful; just look at "300" and "The Watchmen"! But this is an example of how NOT to make a live-action anime adaptation! Now don't get me wrong, a live-action DBZ even this badly made probably WOULD have been uber-successful cerca 2005, but since no one shows the anime anymore, it's basically forgotten. Very Happy Here's hoping the Cowboy Bebop movie will be successful, at least as long as [adult swim] keeps faithfully rerunning it.
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Has anyone else notice how Anime Fans are becoming more and more like angry Star Wars fans; not happy with anything that sucks really hard?

Fix'd.

To the credit of the anime adaptation in general, however, this can barely be called a Dragonball movie at all. On the one hand we have the director of the fairly lamentable The O.N.E. and a couple of films about kids who die real good trying to adapt a cartoon that his own cynicism and that of those above him can barely allow to exist, and helming the other bomb were two brothers who delivered something that Warner Bros. forgot how to sell: a kids' movie. (Speed Racer goes really nice with movies like Dennis the Menace, Free Willy, and all those other WB Family Entertainment titles from the early-to-mid-90's that I know I watched but have since forgotten the names of.)

Trial and error, kids. Trial and lots of stanky errors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad we decided to wait for the dollar showing after all; it seems it didn't do well. All my thoughts of it being major fail aside, did anyone see commercials for this? I only saw one on cartoon network, and I watch the network a lot.

Was there any real promotion for this movie?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kiriska

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Serves them right. That movie was terrible. I agree wholeheartedly with ANN's review of it. To summarize: This movie appeals to NO ONE. Not fans. Not anyone else. There is more sophisticated writing in your little brother's Saturday morning cartoons.

I hope this puts to death their sequel plans.
Mikuru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone even see any ads on tv for this? I didn't.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I did but they all started like last week. Well while we mourn the butchering of a series many of us enjoyed when we were younger we can at least know we were right about it flopping.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:
Did anyone even see any ads on tv for this? I didn't.

All the advertisements were on kids networks. They weren't going for the adult demographic.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
If they stuck to the original Dragonball when Goku and Krillin (who's Krillin? Oh yeah, how about one of the BIGGEST characters in the show? Nice job there producers...) started their training with Roshi and had their first tournament it could have been awesome. Not many special effects necessary, a lot of solid martial arts and it would be staying true to the story thus drawing in the main source of profit for a movie based on an anime series: the anime fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10