• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Gin and Juice

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So, that movie, with the spaceships, and the explosions, and Sylar is in it...

HOW WAS IT?!

IT WAS STUPENDOUS!!

J.J. Abrams and crew definitely had their phasers set on "stunning." Star Trek is finally fun again; best film since Wrath of Khaaaaan.

By the way, I never once thought of Sylar, although Quinto's performance was by far not the best. Karl Urban darn near stole the show as Dr. McCoy.

--------------------------------------

Interesting coincidence that you reviewed Ikigami, Carlo. I just ordered it earlier this afternoon after being reminded of it upon flipping through my copy of Fullmetal Alchemist volume 18, which arrived today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Pretty much agree with you on Berserk and Gin Tama. Maybe Soreachi was busy drinking with the seiyuu that day? Thanks for letting me know about Ikigami, too, since that was a "maybe" title.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
Kasumi is a paint-by-the-numbers mary-sue epic...

AND I LIKE IT. Laughing Cheesecake shojo at it's finest; a weakness of mine. I'm pretty sure it's not gonna get anymore interesting, but I will continue to buy it! Embarassed
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
Awesome, my library has Ikigami on order! Unfortunately that's not the case with Fullmetal Alchemist 18 (Jedi General mentioned it), so I'm going to have to request a purchase.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
To use your scale, I'd give the Star Trek movie a B. Good characterization and visuals but I didn't really feel that drawn in by the plot.

I have to admit, there isn't much here that catches my attention. Ikigami sounds interesting but I have other series I'd rather check out at the moment. Though the Reader's Choice one sounds like it would be fun...if it was translated into a language I could easily read Anime smile
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
Carlo Santos wrote:
Quote:
So, that movie, with the spaceships, and the explosions, and Sylar is in it...

HOW WAS IT?!

You mean Battle for Terra?!

Nice article. I still can't get into Gintama and still don't get its appeal. At this point I rather read Maid War Chronicles just for the fact it has the word Chronicle in it. Most things with the word Chronicle have been at least mildly entertaining. More then I get from Gintama right now.

I'm not a Trek fan but I did enjoy the movie. The acting was good and I think it did the fans justice. Although the purist still hated it but really you can never make them happy. Also judging by the random comments I hear from them, alot of them seemed to be unable to actually follow the plot of the movie. Or their prejudice and purism hate struck them blind and deaf for most of the 2+ hour movie.

I agree with Jedi and think the guy who played McCoy was great. He and the guy who plays Kirk had a great running gag in the middle of the movie. Of course any movie with Simon Pegg and John Cho are a good enough reason to watch it in the first place in my book.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote
I will also add my two cents and say how much I completely enjoyed the Star Trek movie. Not to get away from the topic of manga, but there are actually four prequel comics released that set up the movie quite well. In retrospect, it was actually shocking how much the comics introduced of the plot before the movie took over.

And yes, I admit I was one of those who sent in a paragraph instead of a full-fledged review of a manga with great artwork. I will endeavor to correct it and resubmit it. Embarassed
darcerin

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
By the way, I never once thought of Sylar, although Quinto's performance was by far not the best. Karl Urban darn near stole the show as Dr. McCoy.

I love your icon, and I will wholeheartedly agree with you about Karl Urban. Smile

spoiler[Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence!] - actually that whole scene is great, but that's the best line out of it.
brittiney360

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Didn't really see a lot here (although this did remind me that I'm still interested in reading Ikigami and should get around to that sometime...), but the Reader's Choice was worth it even though it's short. Ibuki and Takumi were really, really cute as a couple and I really enjoyed it, which is an accomplishment in itself since I generally really don't like shoujo or romance of any kind. Definitely a fun read in-between keeping up with other series. Now if I could just get an English release...
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Star Trek wasn't perfect, but it went a long way towards redemption (I say this as a Star Wars fan). The special effects were superb, the cast meshed well, and I didn't even mind red matter McGuffin because it meant more action.

It's funny that people keep mentioning how good Karl Urban was; my friend thought that he tried too hard to imitate the original McCoy (I thought Karl was great, myself).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
EVIDENCE AGAINST:
While this volume spins out some great comedy, it also wastes plenty of pages on stuff more commonly associated with the mediocre Shonen Jump titles this series is supposed to be making fun of. The first few chapters close out the arc about the cursed sword Benizakura, which had already been dragged out way too long and at this point has become a "Rawrrr my power is greater than your power" slugfest. And then they have to trudge through an epilogue so that all the characters can have closure.

To each his own
My daughter was gaga over Gintama before it was licensed, but now could care less. My interest was Takasugi (this month's cover boy) so I loved the whole segment he was involved in. I found the Santa bit a case of working too hard to be funny, though the pit-trap follow-up to Takasugi's story was very funny. I also enjoy Katsura & very much enjoyed the interaction between Takasugi & Katsura, including the revelation of Takasugi's motivations. The stuff with Elizabeth last volume was also very interesting.

Just because it's a comedy doesn't mean it can't have a plot that advances every once in awhile.

I'm actually in the middle of it right now. Next chance I get to pick it up, I'm on Lesson 100. (Been running errands all morning which breaks up the reading)
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
awwww.... I really wanted to read Maid War >.> Though I don't really trust professional reviewers when it comes to this genre, since they tend to be hating for the wrong reasons.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Alien1375

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see that Gintama gets some ANN attention. One of the best Shonen Jump manga's at the moment IMHO. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1