• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on YouTube

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmydorry

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:23 am Reply with quote
Nice typo Shocked

"behald"

And ... why would you youtube it, when you can download it. >_>

not that i would Anime smile

Rolling Eyes
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:03 am Reply with quote
[peoplewhowatchfansubs]"Yeah its free, online, and translated in a timely manor by the actual licensed distributor. And yeah we've been clamoring for nearly a decade that anime distributors should provide digital streaming content, translated and released soon after airing in Japan (instead of waiting a year+ for a domestic DVD release). And yeah you've finally chosen to go that route and make all our dreams come true. But we're still gonna watch the fansubs. Ya know, just because."[/peoplewhowatchfansubs]

Lordy lordy.
jimmydorry

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:08 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
[peoplewhowatchfansubs]"Yeah its free, online, and translated in a timely manor by the actual licensed distributor. And yeah we've been clamoring for nearly a decade that anime distributors should provide digital streaming content, translated and released soon after airing in Japan (instead of waiting a year+ for a domestic DVD release). And yeah you've finally chosen to go that route and make all our dreams come true. But we're still gonna watch the fansubs. Ya know, just because."[/peoplewhowatchfansubs]

Lordy lordy.

... man do you think before you post ... who would want to watch scaled down and low quality s**te on youtube, when there are perfectly viable, but slightly illegal fan subs, or even legal streams from sites that offer just below standard quality.

now if they had said they were doing a deal to provide standard, or even better high quality, subs through streaming sites ... i wouldn't have posted my comment.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:42 am Reply with quote
Hurrah! Another place to watch it Rolling Eyes . I guess it is better than waiting for it to load on funimation's site though (which is a long time btw, atleast for me.) but I think i'll stick with them, youtube's videos always come across a little choppy sometimes.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

Lordy lordy.

If you watched the Italian streamings and their "good" translations and adaptations, you would understand that fansubs are still useful. -__-'

At least, Panini licensing it means DVDs coming out sooner (I hope).

Anyway, could someone please watch the English streamings on YouTube and tell me if the subtitles have black stripes behind them there, too (we have them in the European streamings on YouTube)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote
jimmydorry wrote:
... man do you think before you post ... who would want to watch scaled down and low quality s**te on youtube, when there are perfectly viable, but slightly illegal fan subs, or even legal streams from sites that offer just below standard quality.

now if they had said they were doing a deal to provide standard, or even better high quality, subs through streaming sites ... i wouldn't have posted my comment.
You... clearly haven't looked at these have you. These are the same size as hulu and FUNi's own player.

Sariachan wrote:
Anyway, could someone please watch the English stremaings on YouTube and tell me if the subtitles have black stripes behind them there, too (we have them in the European stremaings on YouTube)?
They don't. It sounds like they are using the CC function instead of hard subtitles.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quote
jimmydorry wrote:

Oh my god, you're serious. If the product is available legally there is no wiggle room. DLing fansubs of the show is not 'slightly illegal' any more then its 'slightly illegal' to DL the new Star Trek flick just cause its not on DVD yet.

If a product is available (for FREE no less) there is no justification for DLing it fansubbed. Its just taking advertising dollars out of Funimation's mouth.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
^ I couldn't care less. If they can't offer a good service, it would be best to not offer it at all.
I'm keeping watching fansubs and then I'll buy the DVDs when they are out.

bayoab wrote:
They don't. It sounds like they are using the CC function instead of hard subtitles.

Thank you.
Then, I guess it's true what many suspected: for the European languages, they are translating from the English version and not directly from the original, Japanese audio.
This would explain the presence of so many mistakes... too bad. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Annf

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:05 am Reply with quote
At a quick glance it looks better than the Funimation.com version but not as good as Hulu.
It's too bad they aren't using an HD source for the Youtube version.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote
Youtube quality is that terrible >__>
But anywayz, with all this streaming of FMA: Brotherhood, I think it's about time that I watch this show already.

I'm probably the only one who hasn't bothered watching it yet.
Heh.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
Are people actually complaining because there are more ways to watch the series? If you don't like youtube's quality you are not forced to watch the series that way. This just gives users more options and choices which is a good thing. Whether you like youtube or not it's one of the most visible streaming sites so getting the series on there is not a bad move . And really the quality is going to be better for this than most regular user posted content.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote
I thought this was a good move on their part. Their site couldn't really handle the traffic flow so hitting up a site with more reliable servers is good. Plus for the newbies in the house, there is a HQ button. Neutral Not your 300+mb files but still good.

jimmydorry: Slightly illegal.... That's like being kinda pregnant isn't it?

And really, do you even think before you post? Obviously your a youngin whined off the bosom of bittorrents but you just gotta understand that its all illegal and the "firstz and minez is the bigger" mentality doesn't really apply to video distribution. And if your not a youngin then WOW... just wow.

It's fine if you watch your fansubs even if some of them are of legitimately streamed shows. Just think a bit before commenting is all. Understand your surroundings and that the general community wants to SUPPORT legal streams and we don't need random tweeds spouting the same old, "my file is bigger" junk around. You may also be surprised to hear that many fansub groups feel the same way about support legal streams. At least those who've been around for longer then a year. Great first comment on the site by the way. *thumbs up* Welcome to the ANN forums.

Any kind of argument you could make about fansub loses alot of ground when it can be found legitmately. Basically turning you from a fansubber or fansub watcher (which is still respected in the community to a degree) to rippers (which no one respects. Even their own communties). Just be careful with your standpoints and if your gonna argue your point in the future. Bring better ammo. Even though seriously, we don't need any more soldiers in this flame war.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
Well, I got to admit, even though I already watched these on Funi's site, if I do feel like rewatching them without waiting for a lot of buffering and loading, I guess I'll go for YouTube. I'm all for watching anime on YouTube (like Code Geass via Bandai and Angelic Layer via Anime Network), and the quality has been pretty awesome. It's not perfect, but hey, it's still free, and you can still get a clear picture, good sound, and readable subs.
jimmydorry

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
I thought this was a good move on their part. Their site couldn't really handle the traffic flow so hitting up a site with more reliable servers is good. Plus for the newbies in the house, there is a HQ button. Neutral Not your 300+mb files but still good.

jimmydorry: Slightly illegal.... That's like being kinda pregnant isn't it?

And really, do you even think before you post? Obviously your a youngin whined off the bosom of bittorrents but you just gotta understand that its all illegal and the "firstz and minez is the bigger" mentality doesn't really apply to video distribution. And if your not a youngin then WOW... just wow.

It's fine if you watch your fansubs even if some of them are of legitimately streamed shows. Just think a bit before commenting is all. Understand your surroundings and that the general community wants to SUPPORT legal streams and we don't need random tweeds spouting the same old, "my file is bigger" junk around. You may also be surprised to hear that many fansub groups feel the same way about support legal streams. At least those who've been around for longer then a year. Great first comment on the site by the way. *thumbs up* Welcome to the ANN forums.

Any kind of argument you could make about fansub loses alot of ground when it can be found legitmately. Basically turning you from a fansubber or fansub watcher (which is still respected in the community to a degree) to rippers (which no one respects. Even their own communties). Just be careful with your standpoints and if your gonna argue your point in the future. Bring better ammo. Even though seriously, we don't need any more soldiers in this flame war.

By downloading, i meant to say streaming and downloading. I support the companies, that make the series and spend money on them etc ... , by viewing from funmation etc ... and buying dvd's when they come out ....

but when a series is not dvd'ed for years ... or when a translation is sooo crap .... or when im sick of the shit quality ... i go find a fan subbed version. Call me evil or w/e but if a company does not cater for my needs, then i move my business elsewhere ... namely download a free and usually better quality fan sub

if i had known people were going to debate about this, i would better articulated my idea in my first post.

the basic idea i was trying to convey is ... if i already have the option of stream at below standard quality, why would i want to sink lower and watch at an even lower level.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
Well, you could look at the stream and notice that it's not lower quality, but I guess that would be too much like thinking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3