• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzchanli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
I must admit that I have a huge biased preference towards anything psychological, philosophical and logical so my selection of animes is a direct reflection of this.

My Favorites:
Note prior that I am an indecisive person so the respective number is in no way reflective of a permanent preference ranking.

TV Series
1. Fullmetal Alchemist (American Release) - Best dubbed anime I've seen with a really logical storyline and story development. Original concept and exceptional artwork.
2. Gundam Wing/00 - Love the concept of Gundam Deathscythe and the original concepts of evolution in mecha technology within 00.
3. Rahxephon - A storyline which was an evolution of EVA and The Matrix. Brilliant plot and artwork and for once a beautiful ending to a TV series in one season.
4. Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle - BGM was a definant attraction for TRC, plus the addition of CLAMP created characters and story made for a brilliant anime.
5. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu - The only anime which I tolerate with having lots of fan service. Exceptional development of story, although the plot is unoriginal is some ways (Wizard of Oz rewrite). The life placed into this anime is commendable, the best example being the Live Performance Scene where music selection and animation put soul and depth into the anime.
6. Elfen Lied - Blood, gore and a shot at one's morality. A deep storyline which questions the boundaries of humanity. Animation is decent for the most part of the anime (the blood was really nicely drawn), although flimsy compared to other animes release at the time. Music selection and character development is extremely well done in the entire anime series.
7. Gunslinger Girl (First Season) - Girls with guns, with a twist. This anime is focused on character development rather than development of action so their generally is a wide spread range of opinions regarding the state of this anime. The animation is really well done and the artwork in some places are extremely detailed.
8. Death Note - Brilliant based on the psychological battle between two geniuses and their logic. What more is needed?
9. Chaos: Head - A total mind twister, this anime is made to screw around with your head so much that it hurts >.< . As it is a relatively new release, this anime has quite a modernized graphical touch to its artwork but nonetheless is well done overall. The story as commented on before is questionable (personally I love it) and is open to scrutiny.
10. Ghost Hound - Purely psychological, can't really say much more than that. This anime is mediocre but I rank it because it depicts how much more there is to the world than what first meets the eye.

OVA
1. Garden of Sinners (Kara no Kyoukai) - Too good for words. While I read a lot of posts concerning this anime, many people seem to delve into the detail of the scenes a lot. I personally analyse the dialogue and concluded that this anime is unlike anything that you can come across. Its artwork, animation, story/dialogue and music are really exceptional and is quite obvious when first watching it why it is a huge craze in Japan.
2. Hellsing Ultimate - Blood, gore and action with good animation, I couldn't ask for more.
3. Strait Jacket - Nice concept in fusing industrialism with magic. Animation and action (music is decent) is really outstanding in this OVA.
4. Samurai X - words can't describe this classic
5. Paprika - Storyline is quite unique and animation is really well done. The biggest attraction of this anime was definately the opening sequence.
7. Final Fantasy: Advent Children - Final Fantasy in CG anime format, I can't ask for more.

List of Dishonor
1. Zero no Tsubasa - Too much fan service makes a bad anime (although they made a second season meaning that my personal opinion is a minority to the rest of the worlds)
2. Naruto (Filler Episodes) - To ruin a good anime by introducing such crappy episodes at the end of first season turned me off the entire series completely. Although the second season is undoubtedly well made, it is no excuse for a poor attempt at ending first season smoothly.
3. Emma - Out of need rather than want... never again.
4. Yu-gi-oh - Saving the world though a card game?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
List of Dishonor
1. Zero no Tsubasa

You mean Zero no Tsukaima?
zzchanli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You mean Zero no Tsukaima?

My bad, i mixed it up as I was thinking of Tsubasa at the time Shocked [/quote]
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think my first post was waaay back on page 71 and I think it's about time I come out with a new list instead of just updating that one again. When I made this one though, I didn't bother to look at my old list, even though I'm sure some things are the same. I also decided to add a few new categories of my own (anime related, yes).

Top 10 Favorite Anime: (no particular order)
Princess Tutu
Much as I say "no order", I'm still going to say this belong at the very top as #1. Magical girls are not something I like in the least, yuck, no thanks, but then every so often, a series like Princess Tutu comes along that defies genre cliches and makes something all its own. This is a very special series that everyone should watch, it has one of the most unique stories in all anime, it's cry worthy at the end (more like then entire last disc), and it's just one of those things that makes you feel completely elated and almost special for being privileged enough to be able to view it. It's an incredibly drama/romance series and it just blew me away, it's the perfect anime (according to me).

Cromartie High School
Man, this is still one of my favorite comedies ever! Never quite sure what to expect here, but if you like deadpan humor, this is the anime master of it. It's stupid, it's silly, and I loved ever minute of its brilliance.

Outlaw Star
This will always be a favorite, it's what got me into anime! It's not the best show ever, but this is a list of favorites, not what I've necessarily rated highest on this list. And nostalgia counts, which makes this one a favorite.

Metropolis
Favorite anime movie award here, part of it has got to be the ending (spoiler["I can't stop loving you!"]), but yeah, this is a favorite movie for sure. Part of it is that I really like Rock, but the story as a whole too. I seem to have a thing for bittersweet endings, don't I?

Gurren Lagann
Might not be the most wildly original thing ever made, but i'd be lying if I said it wasn't one of the most fun things I've ever seen in my life. The whole thing just sucked me into all of the over the top action, I love all the mechs (in terms of both designs and that they lack guns, which I think are pointless if you're already in a giant mech), the whole gung-ho attitude, the whole show is like crack and gave me a wonderful euphoria.

Noein
This series is half here for having awesome visuals and music, and I certainly didn't like Yuu, but everything else was so outstanding that the rest of it made me fall in love with it. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I really like it and would certainly put it on this list.

Fantastic Children
So, I checked this out because I had heard it was like Please Save My Earth (had only seen the OVA at that point) and not only is it pretty similar I think it's superior. Starts off a tad slow, but when it gets going, man does it get good! And it has a good ending and finale and the last DVD has bonus ending material on it that's also really good. If you notice my anime list (at bottom of my post), I gave it two different ratings, 4 for the dub, and 9 for the sub, I'd call this a must sub series, in which the sub actually increased my liking of the series.

Robotech
Old style visuals be damned! I loved this show and got the 80's broadcast version DVDs on purpose (after renting my friend's cleaned up version, which only highlighted the animation flaws), but the Macross saga especially has great characters and a pretty awesome story in space. I can see why this is an anime classic, even if I didn't check it out until 2004ish.

Key the Metal Idol
I like captivating things and this it certainly was. Took me another view through to get some of the details, but I also like original ideas done well and hidden gems. I like the dark color palette of this show too, it, along with the opening (which I might note as being quite possibly the best English re-dub opening ever) really set the mood to make this show more captivating for me.

Mushi-shi
Every episode was its own joy to watch, and never quite the same joy either, which makes the show that much more unique to watch: it never repeated a single idea (other than the theme of the show: mushi+Ginko+random people=episode), but it always found something new to do with everything. Not to mention the visuals, but sound really takes the cake here. It's all very simple chords and instruments, no rock guitars or anything funky, just plain mood setting goodness, I can't imagine the show without it.

Bottom 5 Anime: (no particular order)
Grave of the Fireflies
This can't be a surprise, I've ranted before how much I hate this movie. Basically: hated characters and how they dealt with the situation. Characters made me not feel sorry in the least and made me laugh at the attempt to tug at my heart strings. It's still the only anime I've ever given a 1.

Alien Nine
Back when I first started anime, I used to think everything was good, probably a common misconception for people beginning anime. Obviously I was wonderfully ignorant at that time, but now I know better thanks to this series. All the main character ever does is cry over everything and it's just boring to watch. I don't care that it doesn't have a real ending, that part didn't annoy me, just the rest of it (especially the main character) being so bad and unlikable and it first made me realize that not all anime is gold.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
I generally learn to just ignore hype, even if it is impossible to avoid the popular opinion on this series. First, I should say what I expected: Killer 7. No, I wasn't expecting the gameplay or story of Killer 7, I was expecting symbolism hidden well in that if you liked the story already for being awesome on its own, you'd want to hunt down the symbolism to enjoy it more. But no, it tried to wear its symbolism instead of its story and I think episode 24 was the worst single episode of anime I've ever seen. Not to mention how pretentious I found the whole thing. Nonetheless, this seems to be a love it or hate it series, just like Killer 7, so I guess I got that part of Killer 7 out of it Wink

Spirited Away
Tempting to pick which Miyazaki movie I disliked the most, but I'm most tempted to pick this one because it won a major award. Sure, visuals and sound, no issues (except on the character designs), but then the rest of the movie was booooring. Chihiro never made me the slightest bit interested, there was way too much deus ex machina for my tastes (which I only excuse when it's clearly meant to be a joke, like in Tokyo Godfathers or Megas XLR), and the whole thing practically made me sleep. Fun locations didn't make it up for me either. And she spent way too much time doing chores.

*edit! Someone more deserving took Escaflowne's spot!
Gilgamesh
My god, it's only worse because I actually paid for this. Stupid story with bad conclusion, boring characters, bs everywhere while the whole thing just teased you every few episodes into thinking it'd get better. There's no question that this is one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Onto my new categories that I just want to put here, they rather fit as a type of "Honorable Mention" categories to me.
Top 3 Favorite "Almost Anime": (no particular order)
Reboot
I consider this "almost anime" because it aired on Toonami. First season and a half was pretty average, sometimes boring, but then the plot hits it halfway through the second season and it just gets awesome. Everything gets better, the games, the story, the characters start developing more, it just ends in awesome. Sadly, it also ends on a cliffhanger, here's hoping they're actually making those movies. It reminds me a lot of Tron.

Do I really need to explain why this is "almost anime"? I mean just look at it! But awesome story and fun characters prevail! Plot twists occur and even though it might be a kid's show, it never insults the intelligence and it's more a family show because it really has something for everyone of every age.

Invader Zim
Once again, just look at it! Not to mention that Johnen likes anime. But it's just hilarious, it makes fun of people in general ("The great thing about your people Dib is: they don't really notice") and Zim is a great...bad/good guy. My favorite is Gaz though, a gamer girl (who reminds me of myself) who tortures a kid for a game system. Ah, we're so alike!

Top 3 Favorite Manga: (no order)
Cromartie High School
Pretty much the same reasons as the anime as listed above. just as funny, but has this great tendency that once you turn the page BAM! punchline.

Maison Ikkoku
My favorite romantic comedy manga ever! It's funny as anything, but it also has some lovely moments that just tug at your heart strings so much that it's almost painful to read, but it's so rewarding at the end I can't help but love it.

Banana Fish
Grr, why must this be a manga only title? It's an epic, it's 19 volumes, so for me it never overstays it's welcome, something is always happening, and I like the main character. But character interactions and story are what really do it for me. I don't think it at all portrays NYC realistically, but hey, I don't care, it's entertaining and I totally started bawling at the end it was so satisfying and good.

Top 3 Favorite Anime/Manga Characters: (no particular order)
Yotsuya (Maison Ikkoku)
One of my friends compared me to him, he's a complete jerk and a mooch that gets his pleasure by watching other people be miserable or making them miserable himself. He's a big enigma in the series, we don't know what he does, how old he is, where he goes, etc, but the other characters ask the same questions. Most entertaining jerk ever.

Ash Lynx (Banana Fish)
He needs a hug. Big time. But I'm not a hugger, but I certainly like him for his level in badass. He can shoot a guy right between the eyes while Ash himself is blinded. He also has an IQ of over 200 that he puts to great use. Despite being an awesome shot and a genius, he's also an incredibly lonely and flawed character, perhaps this makes him more relatable for me or something. He's also very tragic, I seem to like tragic characters.

Rock Holmes (various Tezuka series)
You can pick most any show he's in, in just about every single one of them, he's a character who, when treated badly by the world, doesn't just let it slide off nor make him completely evil, but it does make him very tragic. His performance in the Metropolis movie was one of my favorites, his motives are his own, you can never tell if he's good or bad, but it all makes sense to him.

Last edited by zawa113 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
seven_day7sm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
well for my personal picking i would say this would be my best top 10 anime so far;

Top 10 Favorite Anime: (no particular order)

kidou senshi gundam 00
this anime absolutely breaking all the previous gundam saga chronology. i mean the mecha and the storyline with full HD widescreen really brings out its true potential to be the most popular anime.

macross frontier
this would be the 1st time i watch any of the macross title, maybe when i was little i already watch macross before but i dont really remember. but i like this anime because the anime looks very creative in its own way really impress me.

D-grayman
this anime i would dare say that i watch it for more than 5 time already, i dont know why.....

minami-ke/okaeri/okawari
the life of three sister shows in this anime really funny and the son is good too...

zettai karen children
i dont know why i like this anime..it does not bored me and the character are kinda cute too...

hayate the combat butler
this anime i found really interesting because i look like kinda okay although the story is always ridiculous.hahaha

vandread
the CGI in this anime caught me off guard. dont know what to say.

full metal panic!
this anime looks very good when they are serious and funny when they are not serious.

code geass
the twisted storyline in this anime really makes me want to watch it till the end

maria-sama ga miteru
i kinda like the relationship between sister and seours shown in this anime[/b]
Lelouch vi Britannia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll make one. 5= 5th favorite. 1=Alltime fave.

5. Ranma 1/2

I got introduced to this by InuYasha (which I don't really like anymore) and boy is it better. First off, this show never ceases to make me laugh. The characters are so wide in variety, from calm to psychopathic, the cast is really what makes the show. Comedy gags, love pentagons, this show has everything. Cool

4. Death Note

First off, I caught this show on Adult Swim, and by fans raving about it on other sites. It is very intelligently written, and the ending was great. Not very many characters I like, but the plot really moves it forward. Actually, this should be switched with 5th...

3. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

I'm a huge fan of this series. Not as crazy.... as other fans though. This is another show that never ceases to make me laugh. And I love the Sci-fi aspect they added in this show. And Haruhi herself is such an engaging character. Especially when she gets sweet and un-bossy. A great show for laughs, mixed with romance and sci-fi.

2. Elfen Lied

Not a fan of the gore/nudity, but it's the quality of the show that put it up here. The fantastic opening helps, too. The last few eps. really were tearjerking, and I actually feel sorry for Lucy. I don't rave on about this show as much as the other 4, but it really is amazing. And the ending to this show, is one of the greatest endings I have ever seen.

1. Code Geass/R2

It's not the quality of this show that got it in first, but rather the entertainment value it has. First off, despite other people's opinions, I love the cast of the show. The sarcastic C.C., the spunky Kallen, the humorous Lloyd, the engaging Lelouch, the bastard you wanna hurt, Suzaku, the innocent Euphemia. etc. And, the dub is pretty impressive to me. The show has something for everyone, action, romance, comedy, a little sci-fi, mecha, fanservice, it's got it all. Although the second season declined in quality, overall it's a great series. The ending of r2 was fantastic too. Plus, the openings are great too, as well as the soundtrack. This entertains me for hours- on. I simply love this show. Not best in quality, but best in entertainment.
?!?!?!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
In no particular order:

Baccano! : Has some interesting characters and a unique storyline that keeps making you want to watch the next episode so you can get the next piece of the plot. Plus I liked the alchemy and mafia themes.
Gungrave: Forget about the first episode and the last few episodes. I watched this anime expecting some generic type of action anime. That's what I got in the first episode, too. But starting in the second episode, you see the story of how Beyond the Grave a.k.a. Brandon Heat became what he is, and this is where the story truly shines. A great mafia story of two friends trying to attain power and a good position in the organisation. Full of sad moments and with some action, too. One of my favorites.
Princess Mononoke: Nice characters and an interesting plot with a good message. A nice adventure anime and my favorite anime movie.
Chobits: A well written, funny love story with lots of light-hearted moments, but also some darker and sad moments. Also gives you something to think about, if you want to.
Death Note: Two geniuses trying to dispose of each other. A very intelligent and enthralling plot. Also some interesting character development in the main character and an unexpected plot twist about two thirds through make for one of the best animes ever. Also gives you something to think about (would the world maybe be better if you could just get rid of every bad person?).
Fullmetal Alchemist: Probably the best world ever created in an anime. Everything fits and none of it seems exaggerated, but also not too similar to the real world. A great adventure with great characters. Also has some tear-jerking moments.
Gantz: Lots of blood, gore, violence and sex. Has a pretty depressing atmosphere throughout the series, which I thought was well done for a series that isn't a drama.
Jyu-Oh-Sei (a.k.a. Planet of the Beast King): Another great adventure anime, that is way too underappreciated in my opinion (hadn't heard anything about it before I stumbled across it). A boy gets sent to a prison planet, but has no idea why. The planet is extremely hostile, with tons of killer plants, animals and so on. The only way he can escape from the planet and uncover the truth is if he defeats all the clan leaders from that planet in a fight to receive the right to climb a tower and escape the planet. Might not sound that great, but the world created here is very good and the adventures the main character experiences are cool. Also has some sad moments (I seem to like that quite a bit in animes^^).
Air: A really sad anime with adorable and likeable characters (especially Misuzuz, one of the main characters). A sad but also heartwarming anime. Awesome.
Elfen Lied: My first "different" anime (before I only watched animes like Pokemon, DBZ, Digimon, Naruto etc.). Lots of blood and gore but an interesting plot with lots of mature and dark themes. Not the best on this list, but still excellent and has some nostalgic value for me.

Worst anime:

Requiem from the Darkness: I absolutely hated the art style. And everything that happened just seemed to happen without any explanation or something. This series actually kept me away from anime for a while.
Spirited Away: Maybe not necessarily one of the worst, but definitely the most dissapointing. I had such high expectations since I just heard positive things about this anime, but it was just boring and stuff just happened without any explanation.
Paranoia Agent: Just was too confusing and I didn't really like the art style for some reason.
Boogiepop Phantom: Also way too confusing and without a connection between the episodes.
Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan: Wasn't funny at all in my opinion, just dumb.

Last edited by ?!?!?! on Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
hahahahaha now that's a funny top 10.. let me guess, those are all the animes u ever watched Razz, but actually i agree with u, Honey doesn't seen easy to find, actually i won't try to, either way mate just for the fact u posted here i guess u enjoy animes so i'd recommend you to try something better such as darker than black/black lagoon/requiem of the phantom (i fell in love with phantom opening specially), there're a lot more, since my taste on anime art is quite strict i don't watch most of the popular animes out there.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
?!?!?! wrote:
Worst anime (without an explanation, some of them I just didn't like for some reason):

Requiem from the Darkness
Spirited Away
Paranoia Agent
Boogiepop Phantom
Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan

I really don't want to come in here guns ablazing, using moderation powers I don't even know if I have the privilege to continue to exercise yet, having just returned to these forums hardly two hours ago. I sincerely hope you plan on providing reasons for these soon, and that such was your plan all along.

egoist wrote:
hahahahaha now that's a funny top 10.. let me guess, those are all the animes u ever watched Razz, but actually i agree with u, Honey doesn't seen easy to find, actually i won't try to, either way mate just for the fact u posted here i guess u enjoy animes so i'd recommend you to try something better such as darker than black/black lagoon/requiem of the phantom (i fell in love with phantom opening specially), there're a lot more, since my taste on anime art is quite strict i don't watch most of the popular animes out there.

No offense, but this is extremely hard to understand and I have no clue what post you're even referring to. Could you please clarify?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bitter Almonds

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
That was a reply to a triple post that was deleted Cool
dayjobdeluxe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
1-4 Great ones 5-7 Enjoyable ones 8-10 Soon to be on the list depending on the outcome of the series'

1. Code Geass Both seasons had to be the most perspective changing show for me on what an anime could present. The characters, the plot, all of it is something that deserves more than one glance. This is a show I will treasure for a long time to come.
[EDIT: Do NOT post untagged spoilers about major events like character deaths. Future actions of this nature may result in posts being outright deleted instead of edited. ~Zalis]

2. Clannad: After Story. I have never cried more at any time in my life than when I was watching that show. I mean face-wet sobbing. That is all i can bring myself to say about it before I have another sleepless night/depression cycle.

3. Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal. Beautiful anime with lots of redemption and cruel reality is something I can not ignore.

4.Cowboy Bebop. (It's Cowboy Bebop)

5. Trigun. A refreshing blast of moral contradiction with uplifting comedy and kick you while your down tragedy.

6. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. A show with no rhyme or reason as to why something happens, it just happens. Now you can go with that or not watch the show. And I am a huge syfy nerd.

7. Fooly Cooly. Though I had no idea what this show was when the dubs first rolled through on Adult Swim all those years ago, I was in 6th grade and Naota was in 6th grade and that was it. A few years later I would greatly appreciate the show intense syfy, baseball, and "coming into you own" life themes.

8. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2009 Rebroadcast/Season 2 (pending).Personally I am liking the '09 rebroadcast/season two. Endless Eight just dares me to look for differences in repetition and wait for more. A dangerously addictive anime.

9. Bakemonogatari (pending). Just trippy. I eagerly wait every week for a new episode.

10. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (pending). I do not know what it is about this that I like better than the original anime just more appealing in some way.
ArmoredNerd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Here are my ten favorites, in no particular order:

Fruits Basket
Yeah, it sucks that the anime only covered 8 of the 23 manga volumes, but it's still just as emotionally powerful and funny. I love the anime just as much as the manga Smile

X TV
I watched this almost immediately after finishing Tsubasa Chronicle, and I think my jaw dropped at how different it was. This is one of my favorites because of the purty animation that still looks good to this day, the variety of interesting characters, and the intriguing story.

Rurouni Kenshin
Classic series. It was one of the anime series that I watched when I was younger on Toonami and I can still watch it fondly and laugh and get emotional at all the same spots I would normally laugh my arse off at or cry at. And Kenshin's fight with Shisho will always remain one of my favorites.

Clannad
I personally think it's better than Air just because of how much it emphasizes on the importance of family. That kind of stuff always gets me choked up and this series was no exception.

Hellsing Ultimate
Who cares if it may not have a deep story or complex characters? It's insanely gory and fun to watch.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it's overrated and constantly mentioned on top 10 lists like these, but I can't help it! I've never been exposed to a series quite like Evangelion and I wonder if I ever will again. I still think about it and it's been almost three years since I saw the show and movie.

Shugo Chara
It's cute and delivers its message without beating you over the head with it.

Kurau: Phantom Memory
It's hard to explain just why I like the show so much, but I think it might be because of Kuraru's relationship with Christmas. It's so special and sweet.

Revolutionary Girl Utena
I'm a sucker for psychological/philosophical stuff and Utena greatly entertained me with its complexity and bizarreness. It was the first shojo-ai anime I'd ever watched but that didn't bother me at all and I even found myself hoping that Utena and Anthy would get together in the end.

Princess Mononoke
My favorite Miyazaki movie. It's beautiful and powerful and I'll never forget the scene where the Forest Spirit appeared for the first time.
Mawootad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really active here, so these titles may not reflect what's on my list:

Favorites:
1. Serial Experiments Lain. Among the most surreal and confusing works ever produced, highly philosophical and psychological, billiant character(s), unique artwork, excellent use of sound, and just awesome in general.

2. Bokurano. Incredibly sad and heartwrenching. The characters are extremely empathic, and have excellent development and backstories. Technical aspects range from acceptable to excellent, with exceptional mecha design, and the fight scenes are certainly watchable, though they are too lacking to really stand alone from the plot (mainly comes from the length - maybe a few minutes an episode).

3. The Big O (Second Season). So much awesome stuff. Massive amounts of mind screw, great plot, excellent action, complex characters, beautiful artwork, references galore (from Batman to Evangelion to Caves of Steel), hilarious comedy. Shame that the ending was... missing...

4. Texhnolyze. Fast paced, complex plot; incredible atmosphere; excellent characters; heart-wrenching ending. Excellent artwork and music, too.

5. Code Geass R2. Unbelievably hammy and contrived, but R2 is simply too awesome for me to care.

6. Paranoia Agent. Best psychological work I've ever seen, some parts are seriously creepy as hell. Mind screw, surreal artwork, and the creepiest plush toy ever also help.

7. Elfen Lied. Excellent all around, but the final episode really sets Elfen Lied apart from other similarly dark shows. It's just so. damn. sad. Especially Mariko... *sniff*

8. Ergo Proxy. Good action, great plot, fantastic characters. Not to mention that the artwork is unbelievably good and that Pino is awesome. Yeah.

9. Haibane Renmei. Good throughout, but the last of the show was of incredible quality. Extremely dark and very psychological. Great production values, too.

10. Don't have one that I can really decide on... I'll go with FLCL for being hilarious and epic, though Jigoku Shoujo may take this place (and Despera will almost certainly take it when it's released).

Worst:
1. Mars of Destruction. If you've seen it, you know why. Of course, it was bad almost to the point of being funny, so...

2. Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shambala. Nazis invade another dimension, all of the characters are no longer interesting, horrific ending...

3. Now and Then, Here and There. Personal preference hurt this one. I just didn't care about the characters at all.

4. Akira. Same reason as above. Plus, the plot felt really rushed.

5. Don't really have one... I'll go with DearS.
LordofNoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
This is hard to do, because I have several favorite and the ones that "make the list" seem to change day to day.
Regardless, here's my top 5 favorite, number one being my favorite:

5. Blood Plus. I don't know how many vampire anime there are out there (the only other I've seen is Trinity Blood), probably many, many more than I know, but this one was one of my favorite. The action was, in my opinion, unique and the plot was at times hard to figure out. Because I don't know too many vampire anime, this one just seems special. Not holding my breath on the live action, though.

4. Baki the Grappler. The characters were so-so, and the plot was predictable in many a case, but the fighting was spot on, some of the best I've seen. No fight scene is identical, and they’re all action packed, but the best part about it is that, unlike other fighter movies, it is semi-real, meaning that it is delivered in a fantastic way that seems possible, and in many episodes, it is.

3. Cowboy Bebop. In this case it’s not just the action, which is intense to say the least. The characters are imaginative and believable, and after only a few episodes you quickly develop a favorite, whom you’ll follow obsessively. The plot is where it takes off, with emotional back-stories to every character that are hinted at in pieces. Believe me, you’ll gobble them up lustily, if you haven’t already seen the series to its conclusion.

2. Neon Genesis Evangelion. What can I say? I love giant mecha. And yes, this goes along with the endless cliché of angsty teenage pilots that are for some reason the only ones that can save the world, but that’s where the cliché ends. When I said angsty, I didn’t emphasize it nearly enough. The characters are all very dark in their own way, and the emotion shines. Speaking of dark, that describes the plot to a T. If you want more, go check it out.

1. Outlaw Star. It shouldn’t be too surprising why this is number one. Although the characters aren’t as deep as Cowboy Bebop, the action is, in my opinion, better. And the plot is completely unguessable. For fans of sci-fi anime, I recommend it. Deeply.

Worst anime:

1. Hamtaro. Hamsters. End of story. If you’ve never seen it, consider yourself lucky.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
LordofNoe wrote:

Worst anime:
1. Hamtaro. Hamsters. End of story. If you’ve never seen it, consider yourself lucky.

Had some good laugh when I read that. I've seen it, about 6-7years ago, so I guess I'm not that lucky.
I don't remember what goes on in the anime, but I'm definitely never watching it again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 87 of 122