• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-06-19]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote
Was that Solid Snake,Fox Mccloud,Cloud,You,An elf???,a bloated bubble bobble dino,Sonic,A sad Wario,a smoked out Bubsy,a drooling Capitain N and an old Pac-man proudly displaying his sagging drawers,next to either an old Inky Blinky Pinky or Clyde?

Congrats.That makes me miss the 80's and 90's.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
Your drawings are great Brian. Just really really strange.
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quote
Hahah, there's something about Pacman gleefully showing off his package and the disturbed expression on the ghost's face that is just wonderful. I love it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
I have to say, I never thought I'd see such a happy, cartoony version of Solid Snake! Pretty cool. The only problem is that now I really want to play some Metal Gear, and I've played through those games more times than is probably healthy.

I say use a drawing whenever you feel like it, Brian. The cartoon with the "poop butt" and exploding head literally made me laugh harder than I have in months.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
Almost didn't notice, but yes...that Solid Snake is really something. Don't get me started on Pac-Man and Wario. Laughing

I'm quite partial to the Baccano! opening myself as a very good example of how to make something that is always pretty interesting and engaging to watch. A more recent case, in a rather different sense, would be Phantom's opening sequence. Great to look at and, curiously enough, with a few additional meanings when you already know (or suspect) a number of things about how the plot will turn out, even beyond the obvious.

The first three openings of Legend of the Galactic Heroes were particularly memorable due to the quality of their English lyrics -my favorite would be either the second or third- but then they had to ruin it all when the fourth one came along. I'll never understand that. Mad

On the other hand, I can't really share Noah's disdain for the Code Geass openings. Full synchronization was never really the point there, as fleeting and partial as it always was, but they did have moments of image/audio coordination that I actually still like even after the fact. Certain changes also reflected a couple of future or ongoing events. Of course, some of the openings were better than others -in terms of both sound and visuals- but overall, I would say they're essentially average or above average. Not too bad, just nothing groundbreaking.

Also, lots of openings have scenes that don't actually happen within the show or that aren't meant to be taken literally, so commenting on how "random" said scenes are or aren't is somewhere between subjective and arbitrary. For instance, the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni openings, while more interesting and detailed than most, have a number of symbols and purely artistic representations that, while I do most certainly appreciate, could be nitpicked to death as "random" if a sufficiently bothered person cared to do so.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
In regards to what makes a good anime opening for me, the past couple of years, most of my favourite anime openings have the phrase "WASSHOI!" in there somewhere (i.e. Kemeko Deluxe and K-On!).

I know it's roughly the Japanese equivalent of "Heave Ho!" in English and it's not a new phrase, but the use of "Wasshoi!" seems to have become more endemic in anime as of late.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MetatronM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For instance, Code Geass switched up the opening about 4 or 5 times in the first season, and while I enjoyed the first one quite a bit, each one following it got progressively worse. The music didn't really sync up with the action on screen.

Wait...what?

It's the first OP of the first season of Geass that has absolutely no synchronization between the music and the video, not all the ones after it...
loka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
small cons that fit (or are restricted to) a single hotel tend to run 24hrs/day. That really adds a lot to the experience.

large cons have impressive dealers' rooms and you get live music performances. they usually have at least one thing I haven't seen yet on the schedule [for video rooms], while the smaller cons don't.

when it comes to non-musical guests, which type of con is dependent on what type of fan you are.

negatives: larger con => longer lines

i prefer the larger cons.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:50 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
An elf???

that was supposed to be Milon, from the NES game Milon's Secret Castle.

he fights with bubbles too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:42 am Reply with quote
FMA2's "Again" is probably the best OP I've seen and heard. the first time I heard it, the hair at the back of my neck stood up. The second time I hard it, this time, I noticed the Opening credits and saw how appropriate the timing of the animation was with the music.
Just felt like saying! Razz
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:47 am Reply with quote
The controversial debate of obscenity and free speech looks like it will continue for many, many years to come. What’s seems to have happened in the US is that the High courts have become more further bent toward the conservative right of the Bush years, allowing hard line rulings to be approved at the cost of your first amendment guarantees. One can only look towards Pres. Obama's administration to pull that more centre right, or left again to fix that. We here in the UK are on the threshold of getting a similar bill passed with the danger, or advantage, depending on one’s point of view, of having the same court cases ruled upon in future. It is unfortunate that Handley, didn’t have the bottle to fight his corner and handed the conservatives yet another brick in their wall. Handley could have won his appeal. Reference
AckIsBack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:15 am Reply with quote
Oh my God, is that Captian N!? AWESOME.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:19 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The controversial debate of obscenity and free speech looks like it will continue for many, many years to come. What’s seems to have happened in the US is that the High courts have become more further bent toward the conservative right of the Bush years, allowing hard line rulings to be approved at the cost of your first amendment guarantees. One can only look towards Pres. Obama's administration to pull that more centre right, or left again to fix that. We here in the UK are on the threshold of getting a similar bill passed with the danger, or advantage, depending on one’s point of view, of having the same court cases ruled upon in future. It is unfortunate that Handley, didn’t have the bottle to fight his corner and handed the conservatives yet another brick in their wall. Handley could have won his appeal. Reference

Or he could have gotten his a** handed to him like the RIAA case. Sometimes you got to know when to fold.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:31 am Reply with quote
Good article.

On a separate note, as usual, why the hell are we promoting Craftsmen saws? Here? On this site? Saws?

I am aware of the concept of bling, but seriously! Saws?

Is there going to be a new carpenter anime coming out soon? A Jesus anime?

Coming This Fall, Craftsmen Presents: Super Power Saw Daigon Jesus! The Crucifix Chronicles

I don't know exactly where the Jesus part came from; all I know is if you make a commercial for that, I'll go out and buy any Craftsmen product there is.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Or he could have gotten his a** handed to him like the RIAA case. Sometimes you got to know when to fold.
He already has, which he handed to them on a silver plater. But he, and we, will never know, he was holding an ace high straight flush to their pair of duces, cause he lost his nerve and folded too soon to their bluff. When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose. Ya' gotta know when to hold just as well. BTW Handley didn't violate copyright laws so that link is irrelevant. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4