• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Host Shodojo.com Social Community Site

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I guess when the site's up, I should think about joining.
zulux211

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Heh its the first social community site I am actually thinking about willingly joining Razz
TheGoddesswatcher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
It reminds me of AnimeOnline that Funi did run back in the day but then stopped running it. So I see this as an attempt to tackle Crunchyroll. Lets see how long this one will stay alive and active. Rolling Eyes
ayashe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Thousands of dubbed episodes, or thousands of subbed, that's what I want to know.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I hope the player isn't as crummy as the one they currently use. When you hit fullscreen the framerate plummets and the picture quality goes to old school youtube quality (ie crap).
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
ayashe wrote:
Thousands of dubbed episodes, or thousands of subbed, that's what I want to know.
If they use the same material that their Video Portal uses, it'll be both. As it should be.

Speaking of the Video Portal, it lives. Cool

Hmm, maybe I should finally jump on the social networking bandwagon.
souleater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
If it was built by Funimation then it's probably fail. Although I guess we can look forward to many more leaked simulcasts Very Happy
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll try it once it comes out but I bet it won't be out before the end of the year if it's still in beta stage.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
So is this like Facebook for anime fans?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
At first, I was like, "WOW, this is great".
Then, however, I remembered just how much Funimation fails at the internet.

I hope this turns out to be great. My previous comments about their online operation criticized them for not giving online streaming the respect it warrants (which later led to episode leaks and complaints about quality and lack of more content).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation's advertising promises that the anime video community will offer "1000s of episodes, 1000s of friends, waiting for you." The website is still in the beta stage.

If Funi can deliver this promise, and can sort out the current legal problems with their video portal, this could well work. I still find there to be an undesirable flaw in Crunchyroll's current state however, so I'll remain cautious towards this project until I become confident that it is planned to be something better than CR for all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting, if it's going to be free to join then I will.

Even Crunchyroll has it's downfalls, a lot of people just somehow download a lot of the simcasts and put it up on sites. (I.E Hayate no Gotoku!! gets this a lot) No one reports them because the subs are only up on the 3rd party site for a few hours before a fansub is out
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:

Even Crunchyroll has it's downfalls, a lot of people just somehow download a lot of the simcasts and put it up on sites. (I.E Hayate no Gotoku!! gets this a lot) No one reports them because the subs are only up on the 3rd party site for a few hours before a fansub is out
-Ripped streams isn't a fault of Crunchyroll's. Streams are always going to be subject to being ripped, no matter who's hosting them. That's just the facts of the internets and computer technology. It's as ridiculous as blaming Sony Pictures because their DVDs get uploaded and downloaded over the internet, or blaming TVTokyo or FujiTV because all of their anime shows get recorded and traded over the internet. <.<

-Additionally, if you have some wild notion that Funimation is somehow better at hosting streams than Crunchyroll, then you must have been sleeping under some mold-infested boulder for the past six months.
Pre-Japanese-Airtime-leaks, multiple service interruptions and shutdowns, horrible quality, consistent server overloads, the list goes on..... FUNi's video hosting has just been one big train wreck after another for this entire year. Rolling Eyes
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
ninjapet wrote:

-Ripped streams isn't a fault of Crunchyroll's. Streams are always going to be subject to being ripped, no matter who's hosting them. That's just the facts of the internets and computer technology. It's as ridiculous as blaming Sony Pictures because their DVDs get uploaded and downloaded over the internet, or blaming TVTokyo or FujiTV because all of their anime shows get recorded and traded over the internet. <.<

-Additionally, if you have some wild notion that Funimation is somehow better at hosting streams than Crunchyroll, then you must have been sleeping under some mold-infested boulder for the past six months.
Pre-Japanese-Airtime-leaks, multiple service interruptions and shutdowns, horrible quality, consistent server overloads, the list goes on..... FUNi's video hosting has just been one big train wreck after another for this entire year. Rolling Eyes
according to the specs, the free on funimatons video compared to the crunchroll videos, funimation has better video quality. of course that doesnt compare to real 480p or 720p (still BS that CR charges for 480p tho, advertisements should do that like they do on my tv). funi has a lot more GOOD shows than CR does, they just make their links way too obvious
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
One thing I hope is that FUNimation's video player doesn't have a buffer problem like Crunchyroll and YouTube do. Crunchyroll's buffer thingy goes well at first but then it stops when it gets to the end of the episode. The buffers on YouTube don't even show up on videos posted by fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3