• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st K-On! Volume is Now #2 Blu-Ray in Japan So Far

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Moe Moe Kyun!!!!!!! GO! K-ON!!! I hope. I hope Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Sells alot so season 4 can come our way in January or in March.

Damn Please don't let Bandai or ADV get K-ON. Come on FUNimation Super Moe Anime for the Victory!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Moe Moe Kyun!!!!!!! GO! K-ON!!! I hope. I hope Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Sells alot so season 4 can come our way in January or in March.

Damn Please don't let Bandai or ADV get K-ON. Come on FUNimation Super Moe Anme for the Victory!

This is exactly why the anime industry is in a state of stagnation and continues to decay with every passing year.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Clearly all because of Mio.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Epic sales. Hope to see an R1 release soon, too.

KyoAni's road to success: incredibly high-quality animation.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
This is gross. The show was a pointless moefest. Some of the older otaku are right, today's new otaku are mindless. KyoAni could animate Wacky Deli and otaku would buy the stuff like mad. They're selling what appears to be either a plastic or cheap earthenware shimapan bowl based off the show for 5000 yen, and you know they'll buy it. Just like they bought those overpriced bad headphones, that specific LEFT HANDED Fender Bass guitar, and that 17 dollar German pen that Ritsu used. Why stop there? Why not have an entire show full of nothing but advertised for ridiculously overpriced shit; have KyoAni start having their characters wearing Tiffanys and Rolexes and driving expense cars? You know the otaku will do anything in their power to possesses the items because they're so moe now.

I don't mind stuff like Pizza Hut or Doritos in anime, because it helps fund them and they're good food, cheap. Sorry for the rant, that freaking $53 bowl really pissed me off. Besides, even if the show did have good animation, how often did that even happen, or was needed? Manabi Straight had good animation too, and what it ends up doing is over-animating the scenes to where they look awkward. Slice-of-life, simply put, doesn't need high levels animation. Art yes, and that's a whole other problem with the moe phenomenon.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
33k BluRay versus 8k DVD sales?

I guess Japan is ready to leave behind the DVD. The otaku at least.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Man, I wish I had the disposable income to import the whole show. What I'll probably do is buy the episodes I really like when they're first released, then go back later and buy the other volumes I didn't get to have the whole show.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

Damn Please don't let Bandai or ADV get K-ON. Come on FUNimation Super Moe Anime for the Victory!

What if Bandai/ADV does get it?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

Oh yes, Funimation..please continue to grow larger and larger and closer to monopolizing than you already are.

On a serious note, K-ON wasnt evne really THAT good so wth...the first 7 eps were entertaining tho....but after Azunyan joined up it was basically repeat the first few eps with another character added on....
The Count

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

Damn Please don't let Bandai or ADV get K-ON. Come on FUNimation Super Moe Anme for the Victory!

This is exactly why the anime industry is in a state of stagnation and continues to decay with every passing year.
I completely agree with you and wish people would stop using words like "epic" for this crap. But I'm willing to bet that like me you find one or two series a years that remind you of the great things anime offers. For me this year that anime is Rideback.

Last edited by The Count on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
33k BluRay versus 8k DVD sales?

I guess Japan is ready to leave behind the DVD. The otaku at least.

Makes sense, nerds and geeks alike are usually the first adopters of new technologies, followed by the rich people looking to experiment, and then the ordinary folk once the price comes down. I watched the entire show in SD resolution, I don't think it could have benefited from even going up to 720p, much less 1080p. But I guess the technology for mastering in HD is cheap these days, so why not do it.
dizzon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Hey! Are you reading my mind? The second I finished reading the article THAT ^^^^^ is exactly(more or less) what I thought of.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Like a few have stated, it makes for sad reading.
The show lacks any sort of quality and substance and only succeeds at ramming moe down your throat.
Sadly all that seems to sell these days is fanservice and moe, leaving the more quality titles far and few between.
Nice to see Blu-ray as a format catching on though.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
K-ON is epic Stop sippin that Haterade. It deserves those sales. Also Moi is fail, Yui = Moe goddess
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Manwards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I think people are being far too hard on K-ON!. True, it's nothing more than a cute moe show, but that's all it was ever made to be. Kyoto Animation were just sticking close to the source material, as they always do. The artwork and animation are lovely, and the music of a consistently high quality. I'm surprised myself that it's broken this record, but you can't hold that success against the show itself, or its makers.

Myself, I love a layered, dramatic show whose themes and symbols can be discussed until the early hours of the morning, but I can also enjoy simpler shows, particularly when they're as pleasant to the eyes and ears as K-ON! is. I recently went from reading Lewis Carroll's Alice books to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, and I'm now jumping ahead a couple of hundred years for Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife, and I'm enjoying them all for entirely different, but equally valid, reasons.

The only point I'm making here is that moe shows aren't only enjoyed by drooling 4ch dwellers who revel in nude Photoshops and poor grammar. Enjoying a show like this on its own merits doesn't mean you're turning your back on complexity or depth. Some things are just there to be enjoyed.

Last edited by Manwards on Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9