• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aya Hirano, Satomi Satou Play Roles in Dragon Ball Kai

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Are you for real / serious?!?! And I love Dende and Zarbon (why change Sho Hayami and Yuuki Hiro?! Or is Hiro the adult Dende only?)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
WatchforMoons7 wrote:
Are you for real / serious?!?! And I love Dende and Zarbon (why change Sho Hayami and Yuuki Hiro?! Or is Hiro the adult Dende only?)

Tomiko Suzuki, the original voice actress for young Dende, passed away. I'm not sure about why they replaced Zarbon. Hiro Yuuki is adult Dende.

It'll be weird hearing Haruhi/Konata as Dende.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
WatchforMoons7 wrote:

Tomiko Suzuki, the original voice actress for young Dende, passed away. I'm not sure about why they replaced Zarbon. Hiro Yuuki is adult Dende.

It'll be weird hearing Haruhi/Konata as Dende.

OH! Yeah, that's right. Thanks for clearing that up
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Sho Hayami's Zarbon. I hope there was a good reason to replace him.
Fergie260

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote
Unless the encyclopedia is in error, the late Kouji Totani was the original voice of Cui.
Crystal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this is based on popularity/youth . . .

I do believe it's Hirano's first time voicing a male character though. Don't know about Satou though.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
I wonder if this is based on popularity/youth . . .

Some of the original VA's have passed away which sort of gives them an excuse to recast not just their roles, but lots of roles. I'd guess those deemed major will retain their players, but lesser roles might have been done by then fairly new/cheap labor which has become more expensive vets in the years since.

Considering the original was made in an era when Toei basically shuffled the same VA's thru all the shows they had going, it can't have been that expensive on the VA budget.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I'd imagine that the reason for Sho Hayami's absence would be due to the fact that he's already or currently playing the role of another antagonist in a long running shounen anime (Aizen in Bleach), but going the cheaper route of hiring new actors would be more believable considering the recession on making anime.

Hearing Aya Hirano as a male character will be interesting.
Hullut Sisarukset

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
It's too bad about Zarbon and Dodoria, especially the latter - in those times, Hori Yukitoshi was the regular voice for all fat and ugly villains ^^ I was hoping he'd return to the role, he's so awesome in everything he's done (though it's not that much). I would have liked to hear how he would have done it now, 20 years older.
I really hope the original VAs of the Ginyuu unit will reprise their roles! They are so great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1