• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Girls and Gunso

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
Could you please turn pictures 1, 4, 5, and 6 90° clockwise?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
Yes, fall is the best time for sports... even if 2 of my 3 teams are going to be painful to see at times.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:37 am Reply with quote
Agreeance on Red Garden's lamentable neglected status. Again, one of those titles that I can understand if somebody didn't like it, but it worked for me for all the reasons Bamboo laid out...plus for the first half of the series, it had a real kickass EN.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote
I'll also include a shelf-worthy vote for Red Garden. I had been picking up that series as singles back when it was a ADV title. I remember seeing at the end of the the last episode of each disc the release date for the next one and thinking of long that was until I could see what happens next. And I was very thankful for Funi for releasing the sixth disc as a single, instead of being railroaded into a whole other set.

Also, for those of you who decry the lack of dubs in anime, the dub for this show fits perfectly. A group of students in NYC speaking English, what could be a better fit? Wink
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote
not to be a jerk but

Mine Yoshizaki created Sgt Frog.
He made the manga in 1999 and then Sunrise Animation was flattered by all the gundam references in it, and noticed its growing popularity with the readers of Shonen Ace magazine. and in 2004 made the anime with probably the hidden agenda of selling gundam to kids too.

Tomino created Gundam (dur), so they probably had to get his ok to make all the references. but other than that he had nothing to do with this show.

Last edited by kawaiibunny3 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
bigheart711

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:46 am Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong wrote:
Red Garden never got too much buzz when it was released before, but it's a series that deserves more attention.
I'll also count Red Garden as Shelf Worthy. I watched nearly half of the episodes back when Anime Network VOD aired them, and they were really good. This series deserves much more exposure.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:12 am Reply with quote
I really love what I've seen of Sgt Frog so far. Sounds like Hayate might have a lot of the same kind of humor, I may need to check that out... Laughing
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quote
Pretty cool collection this week. What anime is that on the TV in picture 4?

Hayate, I'm waiting for a collection on that one. I'm not opposed to sub-only releases, but Bandai is asking way too much for that one. True Tears (picked it up last Friday) and Sola (if it ever comes out Sad , enough delays, Bandai!) are reasonably priced, as are Sentai's sets. Hayate is ridiculous though, especially since Bandai charges less for 9-episode sets of other series that have both dub/sub.

Sgt. Frog is definitely a buy, already got the two half-season sets of Ghost Hunt, and I'm passing on Red Garden for now.
torinostu351

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
The monitor picture in #4 is from Bakemonogatari, episode 1. It was one of the most 'screencap'-able show I'd seen in a while.

Also, sorry about the anti-rotation on the pics, my Mac thinks it's cute by autorotating things for me, then when I email them, they are in the original orientation. :-\
mewtwo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quote
"It's Gendou!"
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
It's also nice to see a show where the characters truly struggle with their new lives, instead of happily accepting whatever silly premise a storyline throws at them. Not only are they thoroughly frightened by their situation (who wouldn't be?), but they let it consume their thoughts.

...and as a result, spend the bulk of the series crying and being whiny rather than heroic, making the villains of the series more interesting than they are (they certainly have a more sympathetic cause), before a rushed and thrown together ending that only offers half-assed explanations as to what's going on. Oh, and in the second half, they stop singing (why did they even have that in the first place? the songs sucked) and spend the whole time hiding the lip-sync (a rarity in anime, this was not dubbed) off screen or by having their backs of the heads towards the camera so that they could save money.

You see, if a series sucks from the beginning, I can generally just laugh it off. If you let me down by starting brilliant and ending utterly mediocre, I do not forgive. It's not necessarily a bad series, I just really don't like this series as a result. I'd say give it a rent before buying it to make sure you're not of the same opinion as me.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
I hope Jay Cutler doesn't read this. Especially if he's on a laptop, because he's probably thrown it to the other team by now. Cool
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
Man, I need to get better at collecting anime so I could play shamelessly exploit my collection on Shelf Life.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
torinostu351 wrote:
The monitor picture in #4 is from Bakemonogatari, episode 1. It was one of the most 'screencap'-able show I'd seen in a while.

Agreed, it's a seriously pretty show.

Nice Talho figure, by the way.

Last edited by Big Hed on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
The Count

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
I would've switched Ghost Hunt and Red Garden around. I thought Red Garden was one of Gonzo's badly animated shows along with Speed Grapher. It looked grainy to me, and I didn't think that was intentional. The musical pieces in the first half serious made me laugh, they were all just awkward, out of place and horrible sung. It wasn't a bad series to me, it just never nailed anything it set out to in my mind.

@Joe Mello

How did a Cutler joke make it's way here? Not that I care, since I'm a Bronco fan any Cutler jokes are cool by me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4