• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Consoles, DVDs and you

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrolan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 10:58 pm Reply with quote
The PS2 and XBox have DVD players [does Gamecube?] but are any of them any good? And if so, which has the best one?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about video quality, but isn't the advantage of the PS2 over the X-Box from a DVD player standpoint is that the PS2 works as a DVD player right out the box? Don't you have to buy a $50 attachment to get the X-Box to work as a DVD player, because, for some weird licensing reason, if the X-Box were a fully functional DVD player right out the box it would cost a lot more? If I got either system, it would be for the games though; I watch DVDs on a standalone player.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:35 am Reply with quote
I think the dvd remote for the X Box costs $30. From what I've heard, the PS2 has a shitty dvd player, while the system is just a PS1 with slightly better graphics. So it's not worth springing 300 bucks for. The X Box is supposed to have a better dvd player. As for the GameCube dvd add-on, you have to import it, because Nintendo doesn't want to increase the chance of bootlegs. It plays R2's, vcd's, and cd's though.
Jlbkwrm
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:44 am Reply with quote
Yup. The XBox is a 29.99 remote/signal receiver kit to make play DVDs. The whole thing is kind of bizarre, but this is basically Microsoft's way of circumventing MPAA regulations. Every PS2 sold requires Sony to pay the MPAA for producing a DVD player; with the Xbox, the fee is paid per DVD kit sold (If you can find one--nobody within thirty miles of my house has any in stock).

As for compatibility... I've yet to hear of any major issues with the Xbox, but I do know that early PS2 firmware was *extremely* buggy. Most of these problems were apparently fixed with the software included in their DVD remote kit.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 5:17 am Reply with quote
Morrolan wrote:

The PS2 and XBox have DVD players [does Gamecube?] but are any of them any good? And if so, which has the best one?

I truely don't know about the XBox (other the fact that has been brought up.), but I know you can use PS2 contrallor as a "remote", but grant it, I have a DVD player and 2 DVD ROMS, I usally leave the PSX 2, XBox, and Gamecube (It's doesn't play DVDs (That why it's $100 cheaper.)) to playing games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ShockWave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 10:16 am Reply with quote
Panasonic has created a combination GameCube/DVD player that is really sharp. What's the catch? It's only sold in Japan, so you can't have it.

Here's a pic of it though.

http://www.gamesradar.com/news/game_news_2547.html
dudesup

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I've got the ps2 and it plays dvd movies well, but it isn't better than a standalone dvd player.
Bardiel
Eva Loving Dude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:08 am Reply with quote
i personally think they all suck. but i would go with PS2 because thats what i have.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:17 am Reply with quote
Personally I'm anti game console.

The majority of American households now have a computer, and for the cost of a decent console, you can upgrade that computer into a great gaming machine.

Okay, admittedly it may cost a bit more to achieve the same performance, but for me personally, since I'm going to have a top of the line computer no matter what, buying a console is a waste of money.

Except for the unfortunate fact of business that the console companies manage to secure exclusive titles. Sad
Vicious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Time to change your sig :)
dudesup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I really don't like pc gaming if im going to play videogames, ( RPGS) I use a console.
Morrolan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm just the opposite. If I'm going to play a game, it's going to be on a PC. However, there is Super Smash Bros Melee for Gamecube, GTA3, MGS2 and... *drool* FFX for the Playstation 2 and Halo for the XBOX. So I want a consol too if I can afford it. I also want a DVD player somewhere other than on my comp, so this is the perfect choice. I'm leaning heavily toward the PS2 becuase it's got the most games, can stand up graphically and has alot of great, exclusive, liscences. My only problem is that it's been out for a while and it's STILL freaking expensive and it's also been out for a while so there will be less time to play all the new games before the "Playstation 3: UBER" comes out and they stop making games for the PS2. That's a tiny consideration though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dudesup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Videogames are kind of expensive though. 300 plus games
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 10:24 pm Reply with quote
ShockWave>> I just picked up the new EGM and saw that. Hmmm, too little, too late I guess.

Tempest>> I must be one of those old timer games that rather sit in front of the TV playing Nintendo then sit in front of a computer and trying figure what key does what.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 3:08 am Reply with quote
Vicious wrote:

Tenchi wrote:

Time to change your sig :)

Okay, I changed my sig back to a parody of the hastily-pulled CNN Paula Zahn promo, but I'm still seeing the "Do you watch anime during the holiday (sic)?" ad come up on this site.

AnimeCastle, time to change your ad :)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1