• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Portfolio Review at AX

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:14 am Reply with quote
Too bad it’s for artists only. Manga-kas can write as well as draw. My theory is that they need artists for the projects they come up with, like they did with Courtney Love. Yes I know they got a well known and talented artist to work on that one, but I’m guessing that there aren’t enough artists to go around for the projects they have lined up. My fear is that if someone like Shaq(nothing against the man, just his demonstrated creative abilities) wanted to write a manga, Tokyopop would go for it.

And yes I’m biased because I’m a wannabe comic writer and it’s hard enough to find artists to work with as it is.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:31 am Reply with quote
I hope they're demanding a Japanese passport before reviewing

They should be shopping Comike, not US cons. There's only what, 10,000 circles give or take to choose from
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:07 am Reply with quote
I think there are plenty of talented artists in the US, I just don’t think they are as organized as the Japanese artist scene. Mind you, the Japanese have had their system in place for a while, and who is to say that format is the best for American artists.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:07 am Reply with quote
Who said that a artist's portfolio is only of drawings and can't actually contain a person's comic?

Sword of Whedon wrote:

What is with people not accepting that Tokyopop wants to start a new era and American comics? Manga is opening the way for new comic artist to come out in America, and I especially like this because now females can easily get in on the act. Before, in America, with the acception of a handful of women, there weren't really any females in the comic world. Now people are seeing that girls are indeed reading comics, and that there are actually some out there would want a shot at writing something. Sure you may not like what the people doing the "amerimanga stuff" have come up with, but there's a lot of creative people in our big country, and someone out their might actually have a good story, or amazing art. Also, as the contest gets older, more and more people will start joining, and the standards will be raised. If you're one of those people who can't read something done by someone who isn't Japanese, don't read it.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:45 am Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:

They should be shopping Comike, not US cons. There's only what, 10,000 circles give or take to choose from

it makes sense that Tokyopop is searching US cons...they are a US company and mostlikely are going to try to bring out US "manga"...plus its alot cheaper to get a US aspiring artist than to get a well known Japanese artist...
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:57 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Who said that a artist's portfolio is only of drawings and can't actually contain a person's comic?

They did say they wanted to see sequential art, and that’s exactly what a comic is.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Manga is opening the way for new comic artist to come out in America, and I especially like this because now females can easily get in on the act. Before, in America, with the acception of a handful of women, there weren't really any females in the comic world.

Well as an alternative, there are plenty of American comic companies (not that Tokyopop isn’t one) willing to give work to good artists and writers. Now, American comics have a history of being negative toward women, but things have changed.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Now people are seeing that girls are indeed reading comics, and that there are actually some out there would want a shot at writing something.

Ah, but Tokyopop isn’t looking for writers, just artists. That’s why I have this suspicion that they want artist to work on other peoples' concepts.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:21 pm Reply with quote
ex_mutants wrote:

Ah, but Tokyopop isn’t looking for writers, just artists. That’s why I have this suspicion that they want artist to work on other peoples' concepts.

I agree with this esp. since it has been in the history of American comic books to have at least two people working on a story, one being the writer and the other being the artist.

futhermore, if they already have a contest for people who do both writing and art work.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:22 pm Reply with quote
ex_mutants wrote:

While that's definitely a possibility, I'd think it's more like game designers vs. programmers. Most every programmer has an idea in mind, not every designer can program. Likewise, most every wannabe artist probably has a story they want to do (even if they can't tell it well, and part of the criteria here is that they at least be able to layout a story), not every writer can visually convey their story. It's easier to take an artist and develop a story, than it is to take a writer and develop the art. If an artist has a good concept, they can develop that, and if not, as you say, it's relatively easy to find concepts to develop from other people.
C_Brightshadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:52 pm Reply with quote
ex_mutants wrote:

I'm not so much worried about artists working on other people's projects, but I'm more worried about the overall quality of the project. What I worry is that if a manga is written by just an artist what will happen to the writing/plot of the manga. Personally, I think, overall, not such a good idea. Art and language are two different mediums and I think better results when a team works on it.

Of course, there are always exceptions...
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:09 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Vigilante024"]
ex_mutants wrote:

futhermore, if they already have a contest for people who do both writing and art work.

Yeah, but some of us can't draw a stick figure correctly. Laughing

Then again, i'm pretty miffed that I have a better chance in the Book Industry than in the Comic/Manga Industry.
Doctor Worm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Then again, i'm pretty miffed that I have a better chance in the Book Industry than in the Comic/Manga Industry.

Take that "better chance" than.. write a book and I can't say it'll get published, so keep writing (maybe you WILL get it right the first time or maybe it'll be countless tries) until you get published.

I can't speak from experience, but I'd be willing to assume that being a published writer really increases your chances of being able to get involved as a writer in the comic/manga industries.

Besides it's good to prove that you can make a good/great story without pretty visuals, because when you can make great stories in and of themselves.. just imagine the kind of killer combination you'd have when/if pretty visuals ARE added!

So I wouldn't say that "better chance" of yours is an obstacle, but more of a stepping stone. Very Happy
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Doctor Worm wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Take that "better chance" than.. write a book and I can't say it'll get published, so keep writing (maybe you WILL get it right the first time or maybe it'll be countless tries) until you get published.

I can't speak from experience, but I'd be willing to assume that being a published writer really increases your chances of being able to get involved as a writer in the comic/manga industries.

Besides it's good to prove that you can make a good/great story without pretty visuals, because when you can make great stories in and of themselves.. just imagine the kind of killer combination you'd have when/if pretty visuals ARE added!

So I wouldn't say that "better chance" of yours is an obstacle, but more of a stepping stone. Very Happy

Um, I already have two Book Contracts (One Sci-Fi, other Survival Horror, not due till November 2004), plus I'm a Ghostwriter to a Publishing House. I made the comment because yes, I have had a better chance in the Book than in Comics.

Which seems kinda funny now considering this scathing Refusal letter I got from a well-known Comic Company. If they only fathomed how I am now...
Doctor Worm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:00 pm Reply with quote
What can I say? You have to keep trying. And if you really want to be in the manga/comic thing, I know that is something that goes without saying and something you will keep doing until you have accomplished your goal.

"If at first you don't succeed try try again" is not a kiddie philosophy, no, I think it's a very mature one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1