• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Theme Music

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
God I loved those retro titles. Wait, I still have all those retro titles. Mobile Light Force was one of those horrible cover jokes that the cashier was trying to warn me about, and I explained that this game is actually Castle Shinigami. I knew full well what I was getting into. '

I've got Mobile Light Force 2 on PS2 as well.The artwork is just as funny. I had always complained about how we would get shoddy culture stripped covers instead of super badass illustrations, but never noticed anyone else saying shit about it. I really don't think the masses give a crap about artwork.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
Just heard that No More Heroes is being ported to PS3 and 360. Now there's a shocker. Apparently there are Famitsu scans up but I can't find them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
merr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
Finally, someone with a well reasoned opinion regarding the FFXIII theme song uproar. Like you said, it's only a song, and it fits just about as much as all the other Final Fantasy songs fit their respective games. I fail to see why so many people are upset about it.

Last edited by merr on Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
Some good ones there, but as far as revamped covers go, the completely baffling Phalanx will always be my favorite:

Original Japanese cover.

Last edited by Generic #757858 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
I would be an uproar over the FF theme song, but seeing as I stopped caring for the series the second the only man who could have done it justice I just don't care.

And dear lord 90s covers were hilarious.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Some good ones there, but as far as revamped covers go, the completely baffling Phalanx will always be my favorite:

Heh, I had to buy that game because of the cover! It was so bizarrely disjointed form the game itself that I just had to have it on my shelf.

Just today I was thinking the cover of Guardian Heroes for the Sega Saturn would be good for this feature, but now I'm thinking it's not so bad. Laughing

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Aksys Games announced that it's coming out next year as a downloadable title for the Xbox 360 as well

Correction, it gets a retail copy for 360. http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2009/111309d.html
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
Wow, I remember playing Rival Turf as a kid. It was only mediocre at best, but one of the random enemies named "Arnold" looked just like a 16-bit Arnold Schwarzenegger.
And that alone made it stick in my mind. Never saw what the cover or label looked like though...
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:34 am Reply with quote
Sometimes anime covers aren't always the solution to things:

Also, Phoenix Wright ports on WiiWare.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
Well, at least they had sense enough to zoom in on the cover art for the actual release...

But then, these are the same people who are porting over Cho-Aniki so...

I can only imagine what their NA version of the Agarest War cover will be like. The Japanese version and various EU versions are all pretty tame despite the content.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:41 am Reply with quote
While I may not have liked Bullet Witch all that much, I look forward to Cavia's "Nier" franchise based on their work with the Drakengard games. Those were both wonderful hack and slash games, though the first was indisputably better. And seeing as how I have both the 360 and a PS3, I can get both versions. Smile

Also, Mass Effect 2, can't wait. Dragon Age: Origins is keeping me company until March. When God of War 3 launches as well. 2010, hurry up, please.

Also, there's hubbub over the FFXIII song? *Yawn* Wake me when there's news about Versus, okay, thanks. >.>

Edit: Whoa... didn't know ANN would do this... --> http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i247/eternal_midget/Whatthe.jpg
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:05 am Reply with quote
What, no European Breath of Fire III cover?

Here you go:

I think that anorexic Barbie is Nina. See appears to be missing a breast and for some reason her feet are on fire.
ikky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:17 am Reply with quote
Nowadays we're seeing generic fantasy getting anime art instead of the other way around.

sfried

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
ikky wrote:
Nowadays we're seeing generic fantasy getting anime art instead of the other way around.
This too. I will say, though, that the EU mostly does get the better versions of the boxart. A recent comparison would be the covers for Zelda: Spirit Tracks.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
It was rare...very rare for any japanese anime artwork to have made it over in one piece back in the 80's and 90's due to the companies insisting on covers that standard American gamers can relate to. And more often than not, the practice fell flat on its ass. Mega Man was a terrible offender. In fact, the cover art alone was enough to turn away gamers instead of attracting them. Rival Turf was also another offender. Seriously, school kids dressed like Vanilla Ice and trying to pretend that they're tough? Who did Jaleco think they were fooling?

And there is the creativity aspect in order to attract viewers. Kemco tried to do it for Phalanx by getting an old man with a banjo. Reason? They wanted something different. Did it work? Maybe. But, in my opinion, difference doesn't excuse irrelevance and Kemco should've done something better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2