• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Do I Properly Hotlink?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
By properly hotlink, I mean how do I get that green font that will take you directly to an ANN encylopedia entry, for example? Right now, when I use the URL function, I get something that looks like this...

anime#5088

...which gets the job done, but I want the above to show up as a clickable Blood+ hotlink in green font like I see others do. I've searched the site for info on how to do this and haven't been successful.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
Blood+

Just move your mouse cursor over the URL button and it says:
Code:
Insert URL: [url]http://url[/url] or [url=http://url]URL text[/url]  (alt+w)

Use the latter way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, dormcat! Now I can hotlink like all the cool kids. Wink
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Instead of typing all of that Blood-, you could also try left clicking and passing your mouse over the text(as if you were going to copy it), and once you do that, click on the URL option, then it will look like this:
Code:
[url]text[/url]

Then you can just add "=" and copy the link:
First step:
Code:
text

Second, left click and pass the mouse over text, then click on URL :
Code:
[url]text[/url]

Third, add "=":
Code:
[url=]text[/url]

And finally, paste the website:
Code:
[url=website]text[/url]

This was the fastest way I've found so far. I'm sure you'd find it eventually as well.
If this post wasn't called for, feel free to delete!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Second, left click and pass the mouse over text

"Highlight" is the word for this maneuver.

egoist wrote:
This was the fastest way I've found so far. I'm sure you'd find it eventually as well.

It has been the same for most, if not all, web-based BBS since almost a decade ago... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
This was the fastest way I've found so far.

For those who want to do this often, create a small library of links using notepad, so there's "quick" access to copy/paste.

The link coloring seems to be applied when the post is saved, as other non-Encyclopedia links turn blue using the same technique.

Of course, you could always be mean and do this:
Blood+
Twisted Evil

I've seen some people link to specific replies within a thread. I've tried copying by example, but end up angering LOLCats when I fail.

Is there a technique I'm missing? This would be excellent to know for those threads having 50+ pages.

I also noted BB uses "magic links". Can a system be set up where someone types in enc.Clannad and have it turn to the link by default?
I'm not familiar with BB Code to know if "www" could be replaced with "enc" for the magic link opion, but definitely could see how useful it'd be.

Thanks for reading!
Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I've seen some people link to specific replies within a thread. I've tried copying by example, but end up angering LOLCats when I fail.

Is there a technique I'm missing? This would be excellent to know for those threads having 50+ pages.

Um, anyone who has successfully managed a series discussion thread that has an index would know how to do that. Like me:

This link will get you to the first post discussing episode six in the Kobato. discussion thread.

----------

So how does one do it? Well this is what it looks like:

Code:
[url=http://animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=850263#850263]This link will get you to the first post discussing episode six in the [b]Kobato.[/b] discussion thread.[/url]

The way I do it - and I'm not sure if it is the best way - is to click "quote" on the post you want to link to. Of course you probably don't want to reply to the post, but there is a good reason for doing so. You see, it will give you the number of the post. This number is not the position the post holds in the thread, but in the entire forum. In the above example the post number is 850263. It's listed twice; see it?

Therefore, when you hit "quote" (opening a new tab may be advisable), the post number will come up in the url bar, like so:

Code:
http://animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/posting.php?mode=quote&p=850263

All you care about is the number, so only highlight it. Then hit Ctrl-C, and then Ctrl-V in the post which you actually want the link to be in. Delete the tab in which you "quoted" the target post.

----------

Of course, I've skipped a bit. Yeah, getting a bit ahead of myself. The FIRST thing you should do is copy and paste this into the post which will contain the link:

Code:
[url=http://animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=******#******]Blah blah blah.[/url]

It would be best to have it saved in a notepad somewhere, ready for use. Don't necessarily include those asterisks or the blahs; they are placeholders. See below what you should put instead of them. As for the hash sign, leave it in.

Where the asterisks are, that's where the six-digit post number will go. Remember it has to go twice, one for each set of "******", and they have to be exactly the same. The blahs will be the text that will show up to any user reading the post. Something boring like "link", or something scathing like "that wasn't what you said three weeks ago". Up to you.

----------

Whew, that's about it. It is easier than it sounds. Just don't get confused with the quoting part.

If anyone knows a better way, call me. Heh.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Um, anyone who has successfully managed a series discussion thread that has an index would know how to do that.

And for those, like me, who never did manage?

Regardless, thanks for the info. It was the number I couldn't figure out how to get (easily) and the "#[no]" was what I was also missing.

The quote post to generate the number is very helpful. I really didn't want to spend my time viewing the source and hunting the thing.

Funny, because that's an option I never thought about to garner it.

Quote:
If anyone knows a better way, call me. Heh.

"The number you have reached has been disconnected as the recipient stated our phone bill was too high for their anime obsession. Please hang up and try the number again."

You know, I hate that message. Why would I try calling a disconnected number again?
braves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
Have to say that your way of doing it does seem like a lot of work, even if you say that isn't, dtm42. Can't believe that you've been doing indexes like that all this time. I probably would have given up by now. Razz

Thankfully, there's an easier way to do that. Just click on the tiny white page that's next to the "Posted: timestamp" portion of your post and you'll be sent directly to that post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Um, anyone who has successfully managed a series discussion thread that has an index would know how to do that.

And for those, like me, who never did manage?

What I meant was, you could always have asked someone whom you knew had the knowledge to do it. I would have gladly told you how to do it sooner, if only you'd asked. And of course most - if not all - of the active Moderators would have kindly and helpfully responded if you had PM'ed them.

I'm not dissing you, just saying that help is but a polite question away.

braves wrote:
Thankfully, there's an easier way to do that. Just click on the tiny white page that's next to the "Posted: timestamp" portion of your post and you'll be sent directly to that post.

Oh, I see. Clicking on it gives me the "viewtopic" part plus the post number. Don't have to use notepad, and don't have to quote the target post. Most useful. Thanks.

See, you learn new things every day.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
Thanks for all the additional info, peeps. Your shortcut is definitely going to come in handy, egoist. I wish all series discussion OPs were as conscientious with indexing as dtm42. The guy definitely deserves an award for best series discussion thread host!
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
What I meant was, you could always have asked someone whom you knew had the knowledge to do it.

Just checked your profile and not a mention of your skills.
Wink

I get you, but it's not like people are running around claiming knowledge in this area.

And this thread did nicely to draw you out, so it served its purpose.
Razz

Quote:
And of course most - if not all - of the active Moderators would have kindly and helpfully responded if you had PM'ed them.

True, but I asked in public for others who'd care to know. PMs are great to get the info, but then what?

Of course, I should have remembered you did create the "find a reviewer" tip as well. Totally blanked that too.

Quote:
I'm not dissing you, just saying that help is but a polite question away.

I didn't think you were dissing me, just for the record. We're saying the same thing, albeit you're more private than public.

I've knowledge about customizing the crap out of the "My Anime/Mange" sections, but pretty useless unless someone both knows and asks.

I've thought about writing up a small tutorial on what I do know, but no place to really stick it.

Your reviewer search is a great example. Where's it at again?
Luckily, I've that puppy bookmarked.

Hmm... I smell an idea here for a thread helping other users. *snap* Nope, it's gone.
Wink
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
If you want the URL for a specific post click (or right-click and select to copy the link) on the tiny page icon at the top of the post, to the left of "Posted".
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Hmm... I smell an idea here for a thread helping other users. *snap* Nope, it's gone.
Wink

You know, I had thought of editing that post (can't really call one post a proper thread) into a general help thread. You know, with tips on how to do everything that user may want or need to know. Maybe when I have a few hours spare I'll do it. Or maybe I'll simply make it user-submitted and avoid having to do much of the work myself? Yeah, that sounds like something I'd do . . .

Blood- wrote:
I wish all series discussion OPs were as conscientious with indexing as dtm42. The guy definitely deserves an award for best series discussion thread host!

You flatter me. I can't see how they'd actually help anyone. And yet I do them just to inject a bit of, erm, professionalism into the thread. Smarten it up and make it stand out from all the other discussion threads. More importantly, such indexes show that the thread is well-tended and well-loved, so there's a psychological aspect to it.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I wish all series discussion OPs were as conscientious with indexing as dtm42.

Oh! Sorry I don't do that with Darker Than Black s2. You see, I'm the lazy type, and I hate to compromise with anything. But I'm there, every episode and every post, stalking everyone; no worries on that!
By the way, no problem. It's good to find out it wasn't just a stupid post I did there.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
If you want the URL for a specific post click (or right-click and select to copy the link) on the tiny page icon at the top of the post, to the left of "Posted".

Now, that was some good info. Thanks a lot!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1