• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Starts Initiative for Co-Producing Anime

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
Well now, it will certainly be interesting to see how this plays out in the future. If anyone is in a position right now to get involved in the actual production side of things it's funimation.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"focus his efforts on the acquisition and development of a slate of original anime titles based on major intellectual properties."

What does based on major intellectual properties mean? Original US stories animated as anime or producing anime based on existing manga?

I have some mixed feelings about this, if it becomes more widespread, given Funi's dominance. On the one hand, this may allow us to see DVD/BDs soon or at the same time as Japan, which is always nice (depending on how much $$ Funi invests as co-producer I suppose), on the other hand this could influence the direction of some anime for better or worse. Some of the Sergent Frog comments on AoD does not inspire confidence, saying that they would change the animation if they could too, as part of their localization efforts.
hussar67

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote
Funimation:

I love ya all, but please, please do not put your money and effort into producing anything like "Lady Death." For the love of all animation, everywhere, please, no.

(Now, if you can [co-] produce anything like "Kino's Journey" -- godspeed my friends!)
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
What does based on major intellectual properties mean?

Most likley US based works such as Witchblade.
Titles like that were afterall among FUNi's best sellers, and are much more bankable since an established audience will already exist in the West.
Personally I don't mind such a development, as Japanese studios could do with the cash influx, but I'm kind of wary of the content they may cover.
I'd rather see original works than anime adaptions of stuff like Iron Man, etc.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing the first evidence of activity we'll see from this initiative will involve Gonzo, given how close Funimation has gotten to them lately.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
But we also see where most of the companies that did that have ended up. Tactics was one of ADV's co-funded titles as I recall from a Comic-con & then they chose to not issue it. If you look on the credits, some of them do include ADV, but I'm not going over all my ADV anime to see which they have their name in the Japanese side of the credits.
Geneon USA was behind the Hellsing OVA from what I've heard.
Manga-Dead Leaves & Karas.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
But we also see where most of the companies that did that have ended up. Tactics was one of ADV's co-funded titles as I recall from a Comic-con & then they chose to not issue it. If you look on the credits, some of them do include ADV, but I'm not going over all my ADV anime to see which they have their name in the Japanese side of the credits.
Geneon USA was behind the Hellsing OVA from what I've heard.
Manga-Dead Leaves & Karas.

Yeah, but Manga also requested Street Fighter Alpha: Generations be made.
ayashe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
God I hate Funimation. Why don't they focus on releasing quality work instead of messing around where they don't belong. This is why I don't support the American industry. If you want to really support anime get it directly from Japan, even if you don't understand the language.

Last edited by ayashe on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
I'm guessing the first evidence of activity we'll see from this initiative will involve Gonzo, given how close Funimation has gotten to them lately.

If so, then for the love of all things sacred I hope they do something better than the crap-fest that was Afro Samurai....

ayashe wrote:
God I hate Funimation. Why don't they focus on releasing quality work instead of messing around where they don't belong. This is why I don't support the American industry. If you want to really support anime get it directly from Japan, even if you don't understand the language.

What?!?!?!?! That has to be the biggest piece of fan dumb I have ever seen on a forum, and I once had to argue with someone who thought that we should do away with paying people for anything that wasn't a physical product.
dentedonion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Though I still buy my favorite anime shows when they come out on dvd, I'm a bit wary of Funimation because some of their ideas about how localization should be handled have been, less then stellar, on more than one occation but if they're just involved in gettting the ball rolling for certain kinds of series that might be ok. For example it would be so cool if they were to push for a Trigun OVA series like Hellsing. Smile
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Wait............. I don't get whats going on here???? Somebody explain in dummy Language (Better explanation for n00bs)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jsieczka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Wait............. I don't get whats going on here???? Somebody explain in dummy Language (Better explanation for n00bs

Funimaion will be on the production committees that finance anime in Japan, so they will be in the same groups as Manga publishers, R2 DVD distributors (Aniplex), the music industry. In doing so they will have a say in the production of a show from the start.

Last edited by jsieczka on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
ayashe wrote:
Wait............. I don't get whats going on here???? Somebody explain in dummy Language (Better explanation for n00bs)

Funimation is going to invest money in the production of anime in Japan. Probably adaptations of U.S. stories from the sound of it, but don't know yet.

ayashe wrote:
Why don't they focus on releasing quality work instead of messing around where they don't belong.

Um, because any business needs to expand, even if only relative to its market, in order to survive? Funi should have the best read amongst publishers on what's selling right now and where the market is going. This is an opportunity to increase profits based on their projections and on what the U.S. market will actually buy.

Not that it bodes well for my own personal tastes, considering their (non-rescue) catalog. I would not bet on seeing any Geneon-type titles, in other words. But we'll see.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I've been out of the loop when it comes to American non-superhero graphic novels, but I'm sure there's plenty of them that would be done well anime-wise.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, this fills me with dread. Have we ever seen any American anime company attempt to become original producers and it turned out well? Where are those companies today?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11