• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Burst Angel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:33 am Reply with quote
Gaaarrrrrrbage. I saw the first couple episodes and was completly unimpressed with the story. Apparently, I was on the right track and not paying attention to what GONZO was trying to sell. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:31 pm Reply with quote
heh, I stuck with it to ep 12, i had 13 but eh so what, I mean i'll buy the American dvds when they come.

Now I am a fan of this series for a few reasons. One Jo kicks butt. I mean c'mon, she's a noble warrior. (ignoring that, she's flat! I'm sick of size triple M boobies!)

hehe

It's also unpredictable, I mean it's like cyber punk sorta, a sci fi mystery in another way (and at ep11+ when the story picks up) it becoems corporate warfare. Yay mech rampaging in osaka! haha. I really don't know what to expect from this series, but I'm still hoping for it, caus eit's close to a type of story I really want done right. A real difficult romance thriller in a similar setting.

Now i know this ain't as good as it's being made to be one way or another, but I don't need the best. I won't compar eit to anything either. The male lead doesn't do much either, so it ain't a shoenn romance comedy ha. *shrugs*
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:13 pm Reply with quote
i just read the review and i was like WTF???

lmao

Quote:
Jo, Meg, Sei and Amy work as a ruthless mercenary team, using colossal armored robots armed with twin pistols and a bevy of other dangerous armaments to bring the increasingly advanced syndicate to their filthy knees. In addition to piloting their own specialized mecha, the girls wear as little clothing as possible and tease the hell out of Kyohei and each other. There’s comedy, action, a little romance and a whole lot of gunplay as the Angels tear up the crime-ridden streets of Tokyo. The show’s thrills come threefold. Complicated relationship triangles spring up like wildfire, the girls deal with a complicated plot involving the syndicate that threatens the very fabric of Tokyo life, and the four of them barely keep personal and public demons under control long enough to keep the team together.

ok then, they work for the syndicate! they are up against a corporation! haha

and there ar eno love triangles, closest thing to a love interest is between meg and jo! the kid has no affection for any of them!

there is one mech o.o not many, jo pilots that, and flirting is not so much and not with each other
Zaxxon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I like the show, but there is one other point missed in the review. This is basically a (or more correctly another) remake of BubbleGum Crisis without the hardsuits (or only one hardsuit/mecha). The characters are pretty much the same only more exagerated in their basic traits. You've got a 4 girl team with a geeky guy mascot. The leader is the rich older girl who doesn't do much but give orders, the fighter is the (even more) moody, (even more) butch girl. Then there's the (really) young computer girl. Meg is the only divergence from the BGC formula, not being the athletic girl as Linna was, and she serves an obvious purpose (implant product placement). That and Jo is really the only effective fighter in the group.

The plot is basically the same deal as well. You've got some evil corporation working behind the scenes to some evil end, a corrupt government doing nothing. Only this small freelance team opposes them. Instead of robots transforming into monsters we've people transforming into monsters. Thats original. Nevertheless, there's plenty of action and it certainly looks good.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:23 am Reply with quote
Its not that much like BGC, given the fact that I've seen most of what's out and still don't know what this thing is about. The CGI is ,for the most part,horrible, the characters are mostly one dimensional, and it looks like it's going no-where. Yep, another winner from GONZO. Why does this stuff get licensed when there's plenty of good shows out there. Even Gonzo's recent Samurai 7 is far better, and only a handful is out. Girls, Girls, Girls is right. There's little else that this show offers at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Koganemisu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:42 am Reply with quote
The first time I got wind of this series was in December 2003, on a holiday to Japan, when I encountered an advertisement about the series' broadcast premiere in a manga magazine. Being a great fan of Gonzo animes (like Kiddy Grade, Gate-Keepers, Hellsing), I had great expectations for this anime, which was marketed as a girlsxgunsxmecha genre. The poster of Jo and Meg were well-drawn and interesting.

However, when I finally saw one episode of Bakuretsu Tenshi, I was terribly disappointed. Bakuretsu Tenshi's storyline is weak, the characters are excessively boobish, and character development is pathetic. Sure, the 3D and 2D styles are perfectly Gonzo, and excellent as always. However, I was shocked that the story in Bakuretsu Tenshi was so ...bad, even though it was already episode 13 (which I saw). At least for Kiddy Grade, the story picked up speed after the first few bad episodes. Crying or Very sad

The art, when 3D CGI is apparently not utilised, is nothing impressive. The most 'eye-catching' part of the animation would be the rather off-putting huge boobs of Sei and Meg, and not to mention the er, nitty-gritty details.

The only thing positive about this anime which I can find is the fact that the seiyuus doing the main characters are pretty decent ones, and I would not reccomend this anime unless you're a die-hard mecha fan, or a hardcore fan of a particular seiyuu in this anime.

I think this anime should be seriously avoided if you're looking for story. Check out Bee Train's new Madlax series instead.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Zaxxon wrote:
I like the show, but there is one other point missed in the review. This is basically a (or more correctly another) remake of BubbleGum Crisis without the hardsuits (or only one hardsuit/mecha). The characters are pretty much the same only more exagerated in their basic traits. You've got a 4 girl team with a geeky guy mascot. The leader is the rich older girl who doesn't do much but give orders, the fighter is the (even more) moody, (even more) butch girl. Then there's the (really) young computer girl. Meg is the only divergence from the BGC formula, not being the athletic girl as Linna was, and she serves an obvious purpose (implant product placement). That and Jo is really the only effective fighter in the group.

The plot is basically the same deal as well. You've got some evil corporation working behind the scenes to some evil end, a corrupt government doing nothing. Only this small freelance team opposes them. Instead of robots transforming into monsters we've people transforming into monsters. Thats original. Nevertheless, there's plenty of action and it certainly looks good.

It's really interesting that I came across this post. Of course I'm coming across it almost 4 months after it was posted. And after finally getting the chance to see the show I'm actually surprised that someone else mentioned the same thoughts, more so the same comparisons to BGC 2032. I saw it right away. Mind you it's not totally the same but I'm more shocked that a lot of small tidbits came up that were practically reminiscent. And again it's a "fanboy" show with is share of fanservice. However it's not the overall of the show. There is a strong plot going on that moves away from it. So it's kind of like the writters saying, "hey let's have some fun to reward ourselves for this project." It wasn't too bad, not like some other show anime show I watched that I won't mention and can't get the hours I lost back. I enjoyed 'BT'. Despite 'GONZO's trademark styles.

I wonder if they plan to do a sequel? Considering the way it ended. Kind of reminds me of what 'Big O' did, except they sequel was announced MUCH later. But at least there was one.
junbei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
I actually finished this whole series and I couldn't believe how horrible and incoherent the storyline.

Story: F

Why? I honestly hate giving such bad grades to anime especially if they're licensed in the US. It doesn't take a genius to understand that this series was absolutely 100% eye candy for guys only and had no story whatsoever. I started watching BT thinking that it would have picked up somewhere but it never happened!!! And the character development was completely dreadful.

Animation: B

Decent action, but random use of CGI. It really felt like the animated mecha scenes kept the actual series together versus the normal fight scenes.

Music: B

Catchy intro, usual shojo-like ending.

Ending: F

WTF... you'll understand once you watch it. And the kicker is after all this bullshit and waste of time, they actually come out with some sequel movie that I have no idea why they would.

Overall: D-

I agree with the first review above... "Garrrbage". This ranks as one of the worst anime series of all times for me and many of my friends. You really can't understand why Gonzo would even want to publish this crap. It's almost so bad that you have to watch it to believe it. But since I'm a guy, meg and sei make up for the slack. Cool
mangalore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
Well, obviously this anime is not everyone's cup of tea. I considered it a well-executed action romp with good style and animation (except a few artistic problems showing up in later episodes).

The story is rather obvious but actually satisfying and I really did not expect any more and was not disappointed. Fanservice is abound - so yeah, it's for guys - but despite lots of curves I rather enjoyed the characters. I actually would think if it had more episodes it would have been better as it feels very rushed in the latter stages to actually get the backstory in.

As said, I considered it well done, harmless entertainment with the girl with guns/mecha staple. It doesn't have a deep story or meaning but I don't expect any from Indiana Jones or James Bond either and I see this anime in a similar vein: Lighthearted entertainment not burdened with the commitment to take itself important (like 99% of Hollywood movies do and fail)
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
This topic is FOUR years old, if you want to talk about Burst Angel, make a new thread. Most of the people who posted in this one aren't even around any more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1