• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Incarnate's Simmons Addresses Alleged Bleach Copying

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Copying line for line is not an homage, it's plagiarism.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if he had a straight face when he said this? I mean, I chuckled just reading it. I couldn't imagine being in his position and saying this without cracking a smile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
This admission is rather hilarious in light of his fanatical defense on facebook. Crazy stuff.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like the usual "I'm very, very sorry (that I got caught)." response.
chocobolily

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I am certainly sorry if anyone was offended or upset by what they perceive to be the similarity between my work and the work of artists that I admire and who inspire me.

What a lame "apology". Nick Simmons, I'm certainly sorry IF YOU WERE UPSET by WHAT YOU PERCEIVE TO BE an attack on your comic, but next time try not to pay such dangerously similar "homage".
LunarBluestone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Did he really apologize? It seemed like he still didn't get it and was still trying to defend what he did. How can he even think what he did was an 'homage to the artists (he) admires.'?

It comes off more as clueless arrogance then apologetic.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Is there some legal vaule in nonsense like this? I don't really understand why people go to the effort to say so much nothing.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I think that if he actually apologizes it would be seen as an admission of guilt. There probably won't be a real apology (if ever) until the legalities are straightened out.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My inspirations reflect the fact that certain fundamental imagery is common to all Manga. This is the nature of the medium.

I'm sorry, that's... that's just too dumb of an excuse. I mean, you can't deny those exact copies of Kenpachi. You just can't. What a terrible thing to say. The nature of the medium? Just... no.
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
There at least a dozen panels from his comic that are near exact copies of the Bleach manga, but it has also been found that he copied Bleach fan art as well. Artwork found on Deviantart were found to be matches. One being a fan art image of Grimmjow that he copied the exact pose from, and another being a completely original piece of art that he stole and put in his comic. If legal action is taken I doubt his "homage" claim would hold water with so much evidence against him.
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
He should try asking his dad what would happen if people who were 'inspired' by KISS's music lifted entire riffs and lyrics 'in homage' and claimed it as their own. This isn't fanart, it's plagiarism. What a piece of trash.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow...if he expected that to get the controversy to die down, he really doesn't understand internet fandom.

GWOtaku wrote:
This admission is rather hilarious in light of his fanatical defense on facebook. Crazy stuff.

That was clearly not the real Nick Simmons on Facebook.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Copying line for line is not an homage, it's plagiarism.
agreed
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
If he doesn't get sued or at least get this series canceled, then I'm gonna start a new comic by scanning/copying/pasting frames from some mangas that I love and I'll call it a homage.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My inspirations reflect the fact that certain fundamental imagery is common to all Manga. This is the nature of the medium.

While the statement has a bit of truth to it on a fundamental level, it also shows Nick has quite a ways to go in making his style truly his style then, as well as moving beyond when applying those fundmentals.

And really if he wishes to keep doing comics, there is no way he can admit it. That's like instant death. He's just gonna have to prove himself from this point on that he is a capable artist when not "over-referencing" reference material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6